Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 13 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 19:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the rule of thirds on this photo.

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 19, 2014 14:23 |  #16

Well, they say you make an image after you take it. Thinking outside of the box, have you considered using this as a stock image for a mask over a different sky, say with a hint of clouds? I agree with everyone in that on the image alone, keep space to the right, but a hint of clouds in the sky to the right may add to it. In this specific case, IMHO rule of thirds here is very subjective.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

twincitybulldog
THREAD ­ STARTER
636 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 19, 2014 14:44 |  #17

Lowner wrote in post #17274743 (external link)
Studying the shot, I believe a square format would work well, with the subject kept left of centre. The plain blue sky contains nothing of interest so reduce it.

What do others think?

Sure is something to be considered. Thanks for the input.

Chinookphoto wrote in post #17281020 (external link)
I would position the bird a little more to the left.

JD

I agree. Thanks.

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17281026 (external link)
I almost always crop these as a portrait, and like others said, the direction in which the bird is facing.

Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Roamingbull wrote in post #17281806 (external link)
Well, they say you make an image after you take it. Thinking outside of the box, have you considered using this as a stock image for a mask over a different sky, say with a hint of clouds? I agree with everyone in that on the image alone, keep space to the right, but a hint of clouds in the sky to the right may add to it. In this specific case, IMHO rule of thirds here is very subjective.

Thanks for your input. I do have some more shots that the background is more appealing.

Canon EOS 1DX Mkii Canon EOS 7D MKll,
Canon 100-400 IS llL,Canon 24-105L Canon EF 17-40 f/4L
EF 400mm F4 DO ISll, Canon EF50mm F/1.4 EF500F4 IS
Walter

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 19, 2014 18:34 |  #18

I would crop this vertical. The bird is vertical, so I don't see a reason for this to be a horizontal image.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the rule of thirds on this photo.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.