Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 29 Oct 2014 (Wednesday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D II + 24-70 f4 L lens for ~$2100

Xyclopx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 19, 2014 18:20 |  #46

Calhoun213 wrote in post #17282244 (external link)
Finally received notice that my order has been filled. However, what I didn't expect was a $39.73 fee tacked on to the charges. If it wasn't such a good deal I probably would have canceled the order as this fee was never mentioned in prior correspondence.

My unit arrived a few days ago. No extra fees. Total cost $2094. What were your fees for?

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links
John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 19, 2014 18:42 |  #47

Wondering what the extra fee was. I pre-paid with PayPal the day I ordered, paid $2103 USD after the CAD2USD currency exchange.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 19, 2014 18:53 |  #48

Calhoun213 wrote in post #17282244 (external link)
Finally received notice that my order has been filled. However, what I didn't expect was a $39.73 fee tacked on to the charges. If it wasn't such a good deal I probably would have canceled the order as this fee was never mentioned in prior correspondence.

This is a very common misunderstanding:

That fee is the fee paid by the store to PayPal, and is *included* in the total price that you paid to the store.

e.g. If the store quotes you $2000, the store needs to pay a ~2% fee to PayPal, which is about $40, so they only get $1960 of it.

Why PayPal chooses to show you what the fee was is beyond me (and a common source of confusion).

BTW, for future reference, Camera Canada will bill you in US$ by request to save you the foreign exchange / conversion rate.

Calhoun213
122 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 19, 2014 18:59 as a reply to  @ John's post |  #49

When I first ordered the camera I used a credit card, not PayPal. I wasn't billed since the camera was backordered. When I received notice that the camera was in I also received an invoice offering the option of PayPal or a credit card. I used a credit card but I believe CC still used PayPal in the transaction which resulted in the fee. Even with the fee the total was $2075 so while I feel this charge was hidden the total price is still reasonable. If I can get $700 to $800 for the lens I will be very happy with the net cost for the 7Dll.

Xyclopx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 19, 2014 19:05 |  #50

Calhoun213 wrote in post #17282340 (external link)
When I first ordered the camera I used a credit card, not PayPal. I wasn't billed since the camera was backordered. When I received notice that the camera was in I also received an invoice offering the option of PayPal or a credit card. I used a credit card but I believe CC still used PayPal in the transaction which resulted in the fee. Even with the fee the total was $2075 so while I feel this charge was hidden the total price is still reasonable. If I can get $700 to $800 for the lens I will be very happy with the net cost for the 7Dll.

Actually I don't think they even allow you to use cc if you're from US, even though this is an option on their website. Like you I also initially used a cc directly. I actually talked to them on the phone about this and I'm not sure they want me to post the real reason why, but they only allow PayPal from US. If you tried to pay directly with cc they will send you a paypal invoice later asking for a paypal payment.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 20, 2014 10:56 |  #51

Calhoun213 wrote in post #17282340 (external link)

Calhoun,

It sounds like some things still need to be clarified:

1) You paid $2,075. Just so you know, that is $19 less than the amount a lot of people paid. That is because the dollar gained even more strength against the Canadian dollar by the time you paid. This made the deal even sweeter for you.

2) It sounds like you still paid with a credit card through PayPal. Camera Canada is still charged a fee for this and receives less money in the end. (This is what happens every time you use a credit card.) There were no hidden charges for you. You did not pay anything extra.

3) I'm glad you think the price is reasonable, but just so you know, it's not reasonable...it's a jaw-dropping outstanding deal! After selling the lens (or keeping it), you are coming out hundreds of dollars ahead.

Congratulations on the new camera!! I hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

6,729 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D II + 24-70 f4 L lens for ~$2100
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.