Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Nov 2014 (Monday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D2, 1Dx, 5D3 Owners- How to make AF system work better for you

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2014 21:12 |  #46

ppmax wrote in post #17282489 (external link)
The customization options for this camera are awesome. Including the trigger, you can now activate one of 3 distinct shooting modes just by pressing a single button (trigger, AF-ON, *)

So sweet!

PP

Can you expand on that? Thanks

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 19, 2014 21:40 |  #47

I just sent my 7D2 back for focus issues...so this is from memory...

As some of the above posts have mentioned, you can assign a specific shooting mode to the AF-ON and * buttons. For example, I assigned my AF-ON to start metering+AF start, activate ZONE AF, AND switch to CASE 4 focusing. I then assigned * to metering+AF start, activate 4 point expansion AF, and switch to CASE 2 for focusing. The trigger button will of course take pictures in any mode that you are currently using.

See posts by kesterc and Keyan earlier in the thread.

The amount of customization is really cool and I think really innovative from Canon. Now if they'd only give us trap focus...and update the 5D3 firmware to match...

PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2014 21:53 |  #48

I see. I just programmed the * button to toggle back and forth between one shot and AI Servo. I skimmed over what you posted somewhere somewhere else but never really looked into it yet. Back to the
manual. Thanks.

Image Editing OK

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 19, 2014 21:57 |  #49

Once you assign AF-ON or * to something, there should be a message at the bottom of the screen that says something like "Press INFO for Detail"...which then allows you to set more stuff. It's brilliant, and addresses one of the small gripes I have with the 5D3 (being able to set a button to a specific alternate shooting config).

PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2014 22:03 |  #50

Thanks for the tip!

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2014 22:15 |  #51

Your tip was like pressing the easy button :) That info button sure comes in handy in many menus.

Image Editing OK

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 19, 2014 22:30 |  #52

It's so easy to miss!

Glad to be of help
PP

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,698 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 19, 2014 22:47 |  #53

digital paradise wrote in post #17281779 (external link)
Agreed. Anders had access to some great info on the priority subject compared to the manual. Canon leaves you with trying to interpret how something works but I guess the manual would be so big it would have to come in it's own box. Trying to find the info can be frustrating.

Even the AF PDF does not go into that detail. It states that if speed is selected in second priority "continuous shooting speed will not drop off" which threw me off with the focus re-checking stuff.

http://www.brochures.c​anon-europe.com …ctid=9090&langu​ageid=-111 (external link)

This is a very good thread Mike.

This is what i needed. Thank You Sir. Just printed a copy for my bag and one for the toilet room :-)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,014 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 20, 2014 04:59 |  #54

digital paradise wrote in post #17281779 (external link)
It states that if speed is selected in second priority "continuous shooting speed will not drop off" which threw me off with the focus re-checking stuff.

I've collected my information from several different documents Canon have published over time. The sentence I quoted from you should be interpreted as Continuous shooting speed will not drop off, since at max frame rate there is room for one single distance measurement/focus update cycle between each frame. But only one such cycle.

Anders

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2014 07:12 |  #55

Thanks for the info. Nice to have more detail on now how your equipment works.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2014 07:39 |  #56

umphotography wrote in post #17282713 (external link)
This is what i needed. Thank You Sir. Just printed a copy for my bag and one for the toilet room :-)

I'm hoping to get out toady but it is supposed to be warmer on the weekend so we will see.

Static shots were fine. I want to try a few things using AI Servo.

1. I am going to reduce the frame rate from 10 to 7 or 8. There was blurb about choosing the fastest rate using a 300L F4 IS.

2. I'm going strictly single point or expanded for this round. This is the method I used for years so I will just work with it for now. I was experimenting with zones and none zone settings last time. One thing at at time.

3. Case #. I never changed the parameters using my 5D3 and don't really plan to with my 7D2. I did read up on the parameters and I may some day. The 6 case #'s provided seem to cover a good range. Probably just going to stick to Case 1 or 2 for now. If I find something erratic then I may try a case suited for that.

4. 1st and 2nd priority. As I had mentioned earlier I switched both to Focus. This seems to be a mixed bag. Some set to Focus and others to the factory setting - Equal.

Here is a link for 1Dx settings and the 7D2 is similar. HIs 1st and 2nd priority choice is about ½ way down. This link was at both Fred Miranda and DPreview.

http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/news_story.html​?id=2678 (external link)

So to keep things simple is not to make too many adjustments. Only changes significant changes I made the first round was setting 1st and 2nd priority to Focus. Since I have not found a way to find this in the shooting info I may just start with Equal. Next time try Focus.

Image Editing OK

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,698 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2014 09:44 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #57

Question

Something i dont recall seeing on the 1Dx when i tested it.

AF menu 2nd screen

A1 serrvo 1st image priority and 2nd image priority

These can be controlled

I have moved my settings towards Focus v/s being in the middle and/or to the right for release. I am less concerned about speed ad more concerned with the shot being in focus when the camera clicks it off..when i read about this on page 37 of the AF Guide I think thats where he information was going

Is this right ?? and those that are more familiar what is this new menu trying top get us to think about

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2014 10:05 |  #58

Yes.

1st priority which is the first shot. Basically in Focus the manual states the system will not let you take the shot unless it is in focus.

Equal (like Anders stated) - if the first AF attempt fails then it will make a few more attempts to acquire focus but eventually will release the shutter whether it is in focus or not.

Release makes one attempt and then releases the shutter if the image is in focus or not.

2nd priority is the second shot after the first. You can be in single shooting or continuous. As long as you don't release the shutter all the way because the system then goes back to 1st priority and has to require focus lock again. This is where the back focus button comes in handy or if you are really good with the shutter - never letting it go up past half travel to maintain focus tracking.

Same rules apply in 2nd priority. Focus will not let you shoot subsequent frames unless it is in focus. Equal makes several attempts and speed will take one measurement and then fire away whether it is focus or not.

That is why that sports shooter fellow stated that he leaves both in Equal because the AF system is so good he has no issues. It is just a personal preference and I too like to know my system has verified focus every time.

Image Editing OK

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,698 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2014 10:11 |  #59

digital paradise wrote in post #17283419 (external link)
Yes.

1st priority which is the first shot. Basically in Focus the manual states the system will not let you take the shot unless it is in focus.

Equal (like Anders stated) - if the first AF attempt fails then it will make a few more attempts to acquire focus but eventually will release the shutter whether it is in focus or not.

Release makes one attempt and then releases the shutter if the image is in focus or not.

2nd priority is the second shot after the first. You can be in single shooting or continuous. As long as you don't release the shutter all the way because the system then goes back to 1st priority and has to require focus lock again. This is where the back focus button comes in handy or if you are really good with the shutter - never letting it go up past half travel to maintain focus tracking.

Same rules apply in 2nd priority. Focus will not let you shoot subsequent frames unless it is in focus. Equal makes several attempts and speed will take one measurement and then fire away whether it is focus or not.

That is why that sports shooter fellow stated that he leaves both in Equal because the AF system is so good he has no issues. It is just a personal preference and I too like to know my system has verified focus every time.

OK thanks. Ive got mine moved to focus. When i went out and tested burst i saw a lot of misses.

Not sure why spraying a lot of bullets at the subject is such a great idea if most of them are missing. Seems to me one good shot B/T the eyes solves most problems these days :-).........thats my thought process anyway

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2014 10:20 |  #60

I noticed that on my first outing but I'm still wondering if the 10 FPS was the main culprit. I was using a 300L F4 IS in continuos mode so the system may have been struggling to get to 10. That is why I reduced fps for the next test.

It also states that to achieve 10 fps iTR and anti flicker should be disabled. When I tried zone iTR would have been enabled.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …/Untitled_zps19​f341ac.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

19,013 views & 8 likes for this thread
7D2, 1Dx, 5D3 Owners- How to make AF system work better for you
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.