Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 14 Jun 2014 (Saturday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UV filters

blair1955
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 14, 2014 08:44 |  #1

Is there really a difference in UV filters I’ve seen them for sale from a few dollars to over a hundred and is UV and UV haze the same? ...thanks :)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jun 14, 2014 09:20 |  #2

Yes there is. The cheap ones may not be optically flat, so can introduce distortion to your pictures. The expensive ones are multi-coated to reduce internal reflection (which causes flare and ghosting, as well as light loss). The difference in light loss between uncoated and the best multicoated filters can be in the neighborhood of 7% (typically 93% for uncoated, 99+% for the best multicoated).

UV and UV Haze are the same thing.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

blair1955
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 14, 2014 09:27 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #16971090 (external link)
Yes there is. The cheap ones may not be optically flat, so can introduce distortion to your pictures. The expensive ones are multi-coated to reduce internal reflection (which causes flare and ghosting, as well as light loss). The difference in light loss between uncoated and the best multicoated filters can be in the neighborhood of 7% (typically 93% for uncoated, 99+% for the best multicoated).

UV and UV Haze are the same thing.

thanks for the reply ... maybe I'll look at B+W UV...I've had good luck with their circular polarizing filters..

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jun 14, 2014 15:23 |  #4

blair1955 wrote in post #16971102 (external link)
thanks for the reply ... maybe I'll look at B+W UV...I've had good luck with their circular polarizing filters..

Why do you think you need a UV filter? Are you shooting film? That's about the only reason I can think of to use a UV filter.

If you insist on having a piece of glass over your lens for "protection", you can get clear glass filters (as long as they are optically flat and properly multicoated) to do that. You can even find "protection" filters that are much harder to break than most - check out the Hoya HD series (external link).

I have never used filters for anything but the creative capability they can provide. All of my lenses - even the ones I've owned since the mid 1960s - have nearly pristine glass in them.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

blair1955
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 14, 2014 16:37 |  #5

SkipD wrote in post #16971585 (external link)
Why do you think you need a UV filter? Are you shooting film? That's about the only reason I can think of to use a UV filter.

If you insist on having a piece of glass over your lens for "protection", you can get clear glass filters (as long as they are optically flat and properly multicoated) to do that. You can even find "protection" filters that are much harder to break than most - check out the Hoya HD series (external link).

I have never used filters for anything but the creative capability they can provide. All of my lenses - even the ones I've owned since the mid 1960s - have nearly pristine glass in them.

yeah I do still shoot film quite a bit I still have three 35mm bodies and also one of the reasons I use a filter is to protect my lens. I've been told many times I'm just wasting money doing so part of it is I'm old school and I have OCD when it comes to taking care of cameras, cars about anything I own..Thanks for the link and the reply I appreciate them..

Jaybrams
33 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 17, 2014 12:42 |  #6

I used to have UV filters on all my lenses. No longer. I have also never suffered damage to either the lenses or the filters. The only time I could see using a protective filter these days is if I'm shooting at the beach or in inclement weather.

5Dii, 7D, SL1, and a bunch of lenses.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2014 13:18 |  #7

Jaybrams wrote in post #16977319 (external link)
I used to have UV filters on all my lenses. No longer. I have also never suffered damage to either the lenses or the filters. The only time I could see using a protective filter these days is if I'm shooting at the beach or in inclement weather.

Same here though I use a plain clear filter whenever the environment calls for it, otherwise it's filterless. THIS (external link)article does a very good job at explaining the effect filters have especially for long lenses.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 18, 2014 13:10 |  #8

If youre going to use a UV filter for protection (as they are not needed with DSLRs for actual UV protection) only buy high quality, multi-coated ones. Otherwise youre better off IQ wise just going without.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 18, 2014 13:22 |  #9

Would you be happy if you paid a thousand bucks and found out that canon was putting inexpensive framing glass as their front element? Thats what you end up with when you add a cheap UV filter. There are proponents of inexpensive and moderately priced filters but its only when they see the results between bare and the mediocre glass do they realize what damage they are doing in certain shooting situations.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 18, 2014 13:23 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #16979612 (external link)
If youre going to use a UV filter for protection (as they are not needed with DSLRs for actual UV protection) only buy high quality, multi-coated ones. Otherwise youre better off IQ wise just going without.

Your always better off quality wise to go without but I agree, a high quality multi-coated filter has a much smaller impact than a cheap one.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

blair1955
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 18, 2014 21:57 |  #11

thanks for the information I never knew UV filters caused distortion to this degree.. I'll want to replace the ones on two of my film cameras..

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 19, 2014 23:08 |  #12

I have Hoya Digital Pro 1 UV filters on all of my lenses. Unfortunately, I dropped my 7d, not once but twice while in Oregon last month. On drop # 2 the UV filter on my 17-55 f2.8 EF-S lens shattered. The good news is the front element of the lens was undamaged. The question is, should I replace the filter or go without? From what can tell from this thread, the overwhelming recommendation is to go without a filter. My thought now is to get a UV filter and only use it when I'm on the beach or in an environment where the lens could be damaged. What would you recommend if I do get a UV filter for occasional use?

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2014 23:18 |  #13

georgebowman wrote in post #17282734 (external link)
I have Hoya Digital Pro 1 UV filters on all of my lenses. Unfortunately, I dropped my 7d, not once but twice while in Oregon last month. On drop # 2 the UV filter on my 17-55 f2.8 EF-S lens shattered. The good news is the front element of the lens was undamaged. The question is, should I replace the filter or go without? From what can tell from this thread, the overwhelming recommendation is to go without a filter. My thought now is to get a UV filter and only use it when I'm on the beach or in an environment where the lens could be damaged. What would you recommend if I do get a UV filter for occasional use?

Uv or clear filters are fine for splash, spray, blowing dust protection. So on the beach or other similar situations it might be worth the effort. But for all around use you dont really gain protection.

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 19, 2014 23:26 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #17282739 (external link)
Uv or clear filters are fine for splash, spray, blowing dust protection. So on the beach or other similar situations it might be worth the effort. But for all around use you dont really gain protection.

Thank you for the response. Before I shattered my UV filter I visited the ship wreck at Fort Stevens State Park in Oregon. We had high winds and by the time I left the beach my glasses and UV filter were covered in salt spray. It was my first experience shooting the near the ocean. I'm glad I had the filter on my lens. I doubt I'd have that kind of problem in Wisconsin. I'll go without but I'll pick up an extra filter for those "just in case" situations. Thanks again.

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2014 23:29 |  #15

georgebowman wrote in post #17282755 (external link)
Thank you for the response. Before I shattered my UV filter I visited the ship wreck at Fort Stevens State Park in Oregon. We had high winds and by the time I left the beach my glasses and UV filter were covered in salt spray. It was my first experience shooting the near the ocean. I'm glad I had the filter on my lens. I doubt I'd have that kind of problem in Wisconsin. I'll go without but I'll pick up an extra filter for those "just in case" situations. Thanks again.

If you have a filter on another lens of the same size you can swap out as conditions merit. How did you have 2 drops? Might be time to rethink your straps.

sponsored links

3,157 views & 0 likes for this thread
UV filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.