Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long OCF cord, not coiled, any recommendations?

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 20, 2014 07:26 |  #16

hes gone wrote in post #17283141 (external link)
=he's gone;17283141]curious how you know that he is posting a link that would benefit him financially? Doesn't' seem to be anything in the URL that tips me off, but i don't keep up with that stuff too much.

either way, there are a number of people who post here with and provide links to things that might be of benefit to themselves. However, like MalVeauX they provide honest feedback and advice to other users much more often than they promote their own interests.

If that were the case, then I would apologise to him.

http://www.amazon.com …Transceiver/dp/​B00BJ4CR5C (external link)

ref just sounded a little suspicious to me, when http://www.amazon.com …Transceiver/dp/​B00BJ4CR5C (external link) takes you straight to the product. I could be wrong though.

sponsored links
elv
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 20, 2014 07:35 as a reply to  @ Trailboy's post |  #17

If going with the cord method, the Flash Zebra cords have a great metal base on the flash end -

http://flashhavoc.com …e-ttl-cords-and-hotshoes/ (external link)

And they have exceptional service as well.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 20, 2014 07:41 |  #18

Trailboy wrote in post #17283152 (external link)
If that were the case, then I would apologise to him.

http://www.amazon.com …Transceiver/dp/​B00BJ4CR5C (external link)

ref just sounded a little suspicious to me, when http://www.amazon.com …Transceiver/dp/​B00BJ4CR5C (external link) takes you straight to the product..

click your link then click another "recommended product" on that page, you should notice that the ref parameter pops up in the URL. ref is a common parameter and is generally used for "reference" not "referral".

edit: that said, i am just guessing here. :P

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2014 09:59 |  #19

MalVeauX wrote in post #17282940 (external link)
Heya,

Go wireless. ETTL, HSS, etc, all wireless. Way nicer than a cable. (external link)

That grows as your flashes grow. Less wires. Less accidents. Less to load/unload.

Very best,

This is true... but one question: The YN-E3-RT is just about the same price. Would it be better to go with that, or with the 622's? I know that the YN-E3-RT is specifically for the 600EX, so is the benefit of the 622's that it is compatible with more flashes?

Gear List
My Flickr Page (external link)

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2014 10:02 |  #20

I had seen this last night. Was going to be my option if going corded. Seems like it's quality stuff. And how can you go wrong with Syl Arena????

Gear List

Nick5
Goldmember
3,116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 20, 2014 10:23 |  #21

Ken.
Like Agv8or said earlier. Invest in the Canon ST-E3 Transmitter.
I have a shoot in December shooting lots of families at a benefit. Depending on the in and out of the people will determine if I use my studio AC strobes or my Canon 600 EX-RT's
Certainly do not want people to have to step over cord even taped to the floor. One less obstacle removed with Wireless.
You say you only use Off Camera Flash once a year. If you have the gear it certainly lends it self to other opportunities as well.
Come on Ken...Go for it!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2014 12:10 |  #22

Nick5 wrote in post #17283465 (external link)
Ken.
Like Agv8or said earlier. Invest in the Canon ST-E3 Transmitter.
I have a shoot in December shooting lots of families at a benefit. Depending on the in and out of the people will determine if I use my studio AC strobes or my Canon 600 EX-RT's
Certainly do not want people to have to step over cord even taped to the floor. One less obstacle removed with Wireless.
You say you only use Off Camera Flash once a year. If you have the gear it certainly lends it self to other opportunities as well.
Come on Ken...Go for it!

You are right though.... I hate you... lol... :)

We will see... If anything all I can afford right now is the YN-E3-RT, definitely not the ST-E3. I guess on the bright side is that if I don't use it much at least I know I only paid $90 for it, but like you said, I'll probably find ways to use it.

Gear List

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 20, 2014 12:56 |  #23

The YN ste3 version would actually be my preferred choice over the Canon.

Canon really shot themselves in both feet when they left out the IR focus assist. The Canon is simply not an option for me therefore.

They don't seem to have garnered bad opinions from those that have bought them either.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 20, 2014 14:51 |  #24

Please check the rule:

Referral or affiliate links are forbidden.

Just to be sure, remove from your links ALL the non essential code BEFORE posting them.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 20, 2014 15:41 |  #25

rpolitsr wrote in post #17283979 (external link)
Please check the rule:

Just to be sure, remove from your links ALL the non essential code BEFORE posting them.

I see in the link above, that essentially you aren't to post external links to your own stuff that you would then profit from.

I suppose I'm confused about this instance. I'm pretty sure I saw the post before and don't recall what was "unnecessary code". Can you explain?

The link I saw (and still see) is one to an item listed on Amazon.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 20, 2014 17:28 |  #26

rpolitsr wrote in post #17283979 (external link)
Please check the rule:

not arguing the rules, just trying to clear things up. Looks like the AssociateTag is the parameter that passes the unique ID to amazon for sales credit.

http://docs.aws.amazon​.com …monRequestParam​eters.html (external link)

I feel like goofing off tonight, maybe i'll write up a tutorial for the forum on parsing URLs.

maybe.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,996 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 20, 2014 17:36 |  #27

I also recommend FlashZebra..
Lon does good work.

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

draderusa
317 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 20, 2014 20:50 |  #28

kenjancef wrote in post #17283691 (external link)
You are right though.... I hate you... lol... :)

We will see... If anything all I can afford right now is the YN-E3-RT, definitely not the ST-E3. I guess on the bright side is that if I don't use it much at least I know I only paid $90 for it, but like you said, I'll probably find ways to use it.

I have the YN-E3-RT and it works fine with my 600EX-RT's. I use it if I am shooting only with 600EX-RT flash units since I then don't have to put triggers under each flash unit. The advantage of the 622C system is that it works with a wide variety of flash equipment. I use it when mixing my 600's with my bare bulb Godox unit since the 622 can fire them both. The disadvantage of the 622C's with the 600 series flash is that it makes no use of the built in radio wireless receiver you paid for. More of an emotional disadvantage than a functional one. The lights don't care which TX is talking to them.

One thing to disclose about my particular YN-E3-RT that others have complained of as well is that it runs down batteries over the course of a couple weeks in storage with the power switch turned OFF. As a result I only put batteries in it before I shoot and then take them back out at the end of the shoot. Not all units seem to exhibit this behavior so yours may be fine. I just wanted to make sure you could live with that if they haven't fixed it by now. Other than that, in all the really important ways, it works perfectly. It has some features even the Canon unit doesn't have and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Dave
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS T4i -- EFS 18-135 STM, EFS 10-22 USM, EF 40 f2.8 STM, EF 50 f1.4, 600EX-RT (3), YN-E3-RT, AD-360, FT16 (2), YN560II, YN622C (4), YN622C-TX

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 20, 2014 20:50 |  #29

Trailboy wrote in post #17282971 (external link)
Oooh, affiliate spam. Didn't know that was allowed on POTN.

Nice.

Really !!! No way that is spam .

YN 622 are a great way to go.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

kenjancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2014 21:35 |  #30

draderusa wrote in post #17284528 (external link)
One thing to disclose about my particular YN-E3-RT that others have complained of as well is that it runs down batteries over the course of a couple weeks in storage with the power switch turned OFF. As a result I only put batteries in it before I shoot and then take them back out at the end of the shoot. Not all units seem to exhibit this behavior so yours may be fine. I just wanted to make sure you could live with that if they haven't fixed it by now. Other than that, in all the really important ways, it works perfectly. It has some features even the Canon unit doesn't have and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the info about the battery, good to know. I think I'll get the YN-E3-RT, just have to wait til next week. There is an eBay seller in the states that has one cheap, would need it by December 12, or actually a few days before that, so I can learn how to use it.. lol..

Gear List

sponsored links

6,311 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long OCF cord, not coiled, any recommendations?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.