Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2014 21:44 |  #406

Thanks for your post. While I sympathize with your situation it is comforting to read I'm not the only one with bad luck.

I may follow your lead and return and wait for canons manufacturing issues get sorted out.

Thx
PP

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 AS IF, 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC

sponsored links
zsd101
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 20, 2014 21:46 |  #407

After reading this LONG thread, I'm so sorry for those who are having trouble with their 7DII cameras. IMO, it wouldn't matter to me if I bought a P&S, a Rebel, a 7DII, or a 1Dx; it's money you spent, and it should work, period. Full stop. End of story. I hope this gets sorted quickly by Canon. Focusing issues were ignored a LONG time on the 1DIII cameras, and haunts that camera to this day. I hope the same doesn't hold true here. :\

mfunnell
375 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 20, 2014 22:05 |  #408

bobbyz wrote in post #17284599 (external link)
So much for 1dx AF at < $2000. I think I will wait.

Well, I think it's difficult to really know what's going on. Maybe some bad units, or some percentage of bad units? Maybe one or more bad batches??

Mine worked straight out of the box, nailing my very first shot, spot-on, with my 100-400L+1.4x extender III. With that combination it hunts about a bit more than the 100-400 without extender but when it nails it, it really does. That's using spot AF in one-shot mode, for the most part: I've found - so far - that using the extender on the 100-400 in AI servo is a bridge too far; but AI servo without the extender works fine, at least to the extent I can understand and manage the AF system (which is very much a work in progress as I get used to an AF system a lot more sophisticated than those I'm used to).

I've used my 7D2 seriously with my 100-400 (with and without extender), my 100 (non-L) macro (for actual macro work), my 17-55IS and my 35mm/f2 (the old non-USM one), so far, and all focus just fine without the need for any adjustments. I haven't really used my other lenses that much on the new camera (yet) but my guess is they'll be fine too (they are fine on all my other cameras).

So whatever is going on here, causing some people to have bad experiences, it's not because of anything fundamentally wrong with the camera design - because good units certainly exist.

I do feel sorry for those who've received bad ones, though. I know I'd be pretty cheesed off, to say the least.

...Mike

Some digital cameras, some film cameras, some lenses & other kit.
Day-to-day photos on flickr (external link), some older stuff at dA (external link).

KatManDEW
665 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 20, 2014 22:16 |  #409

mfunnell wrote in post #17284640 (external link)
Well, I think it's difficult to really know what's going on. Maybe some bad units, or some percentage of bad units? Maybe one or more bad batches??

Mine worked straight out of the box, nailing my very first shot, spot-on, with my 100-400L+1.4x extender III. With that combination it hunts about a bit more than the 100-400 without extender but when it nails it, it really does. That's using spot AF in one-shot mode, for the most part: I've found - so far - that using the extender on the 100-400 in AI servo is a bridge too far; but AI servo without the extender works fine, at least to the extent I can understand and manage the AF system (which is very much a work in progress as I get used to an AF system a lot more sophisticated than those I'm used to).

I've used my 7D2 seriously with my 100-400 (with and without extender), my 100 (non-L) macro (for actual macro work), my 17-55IS and my 35mm/f2 (the old non-USM one), so far, and all focus just fine without the need for any adjustments. I haven't really used my other lenses that much on the new camera (yet) but my guess is they'll be fine too (they are fine on all my other cameras).

So whatever is going on here, causing some people to have bad experiences, it's not because of anything fundamentally wrong with the camera design - because good units certainly exist.

I do feel sorry for those who've received bad ones, though. I know I'd be pretty cheesed off, to say the least.

...Mike

I don't think anyone has been trying to imply that there is anything fundamentally wrong with the camera design. People following just this topic alone know that good units exist, because of the reports of good units in this topic about problem units.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2014 23:23 |  #410

stsva wrote in post #17284431 (external link)
I'd really suggest doing some controlled testing before giving up on the AF. Sometimes (not always) it's just a matter of adjusting the focus, which luckily we can do. If that doesn't work, then it would be time for returns or sending to Canon.

Well they are going to look at my shots tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'm going to send it back but I don't want an exchange. I want the experts to reproduce the outstanding shots I have seen on other threads at POTN.

Frankly this whole thing has been a puzzle from day one. I have no major shoots coming up so I really don't care. They know what is going on so even if this goes beyond the return date I'll be OK. I'd like to get to the bottom of this one way or the other.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gschlact
1,318 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 20, 2014 23:28 |  #411

It look like you have consistent front focus. Did you already MFA that lens?
Goo idea with single shot single point, but MFA is a must. Shooting 2d object won't provide information until MFA is completed. Look at your apple shot and others, the focal plan is in front if the object under the focus point.

ppmax wrote in post #17284418 (external link)
Pardon my french, but F**K. My 2nd 7D2 arrived today and it's a total disaster. Looks like we are in the same boat digital paradise. This camera is going back.

All shots single point AF or spot AF, one shot mode with Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM.

Very first shot out of camera:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND

2nd shot:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Front focusing:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Front focus about 2 feet in front of target:
QUOTED IMAGE

Here's another shot...high contrast, front focus about 1 foot in front:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I didn't focus on the can...
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focus nailed using live view (on a tripod):

Next shot, Spot AF, on a tripod, (normal AF, not Live View focus):

My 5D3 nails these shots, tack sharp, no problem.

Argh...another trip to Fedex...

PP

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2014 23:34 |  #412

gschlact wrote in post #17284712 (external link)
Goo idea with single shot single point, but MFA is a must.

Well I'll argue this one. I don't MFA any of my lenses and I can produce hundreds of tack sharp images from multiple bodies and lenses. It is true as you approach 2.8 and go wider it gets more critical but it is not a must in all situations.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2014 23:59 |  #413

digital paradise wrote in post #17284720 (external link)
Well I'll argue this one. I don't MFA any of my lenses and I can produce hundreds of tack sharp images from multiple bodies and lenses. It is true as you approach 2.8 and go wider it gets more critical but it is not a must in all situations.

Agreed. I've never MFA's my lenses except as a curiosity...or rather none of my other Canon bodies have required me to do so. And it has virtually no effect when shooting near infinity since the depth of field is much greater when focusing at things off in the distance.

As the following image shows, out of the box this body is focusing roughly 18 - 24 inches in front of the intended focus target. Look at the edge of the counter; atrocious!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7525/15217489884_408a55fc07_o.jpg

Canon 1DX Mark II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM Mark II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4

ppmax
170 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2014 00:14 |  #414

Katmandew I saw a few of your shots in the 7d2 image thread...they looked great. Are you getting lots of hit/miss?

Digital paradise: who is going to look at your shots? Canon?

gordholio
294 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 21, 2014 01:08 |  #415

I feel for everyone with these issues. I had three "original" 7Ds, and none of them ever focused correctly. Wasn't front focus, wasn't back focus - it was just inconsistent. MFA did not help the situation.

By the time I was on my third 7D, I truly began to feel there was something wrong with *me.* I'd owned an XSi and an XTi before that, and had never experienced these issues.

As soon as I got a 5D MK III, everything returned to normal. Boom! All the stuff that was supposed to be in focus was. And no messing around with MFA. Every lens I've thrown on my two 5D MK IIs since, including my 400 5.6 for sports and birds, has been near-perfect.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say except best of luck to all those with similar equipment-oriented problems.

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 21, 2014 02:44 |  #416

Looks like the first 7D I had. Really sucks; I know how you guys with the problem feel. Hopefully Canon gets it sorted out.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 21, 2014 05:28 |  #417

ppmax wrote in post #17284516 (external link)
Those pictures were controlled tests using counterpoint only, focusing on easy, high contrast objects with plenty of light to achieve focus, using a shutter speed more than adequate to freeze the frame.

What, exactly, about the above shots looks even remotely acceptable? Is there any doubt, given the visual evidence where the focus point is clearly smack dab over a high contrast object, that these pictures show anything but a defective unit? Taking a picure with a Canon body isn't hard--I've had 5 of them. I've been shooting Canon cameras for 10 years and I can't think of one thing in those photos that looks remotely like "user error," or "RTFM," or "you're holding it wrong," or "apply some MFA." The actual point of focus vs. the focus target is off by a foot, and in some cases 2. MFA is for *fine tuning* a lens/body combo. When I get a new camera and the first shot I take on a well lit high-contrast target, looks like the first picture above...there is nothing to figure out. ??

PP

That hardly qualified as controlled testing. I can see front focusing in several of your samples. I'd suggest using something like TeamSpeed's Focus Genie or a Lens Align test. That way, you'll know for sure if it just won't focus at all or whether it can be adjusted.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,104 posts
Gallery: 1819 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 21, 2014 07:29 |  #418

Testing to see if I have focus issues----the simpleton's method, critique please.
300mm on the 7Dii, far enough away to focus on a ruler placed 45 from the sensor plane on a table.
I focus on the number 6. Review the image, the 6 is sharp, the 5 and 7 not as sharp.
I change lenses to a 35mm 1.4 and repeat. Same results.
In each case I'm at the widest aperture, 2.8 or 1.4.
Camera is in single shot.
I'm thinking I'm good......but am I missing anything?

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 21, 2014 07:39 |  #419

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17285019 (external link)
Testing to see if I have focus issues----the simpleton's method, critique please.
300mm on the 7Dii, far enough away to focus on a ruler placed 45 from the sensor plane on a table.
I focus on the number 6. Review the image, the 6 is sharp, the 5 and 7 not as sharp.
I change lenses to a 35mm 1.4 and repeat. Same results.
In each case I'm at the widest aperture, 2.8 or 1.4.
Camera is in single shot.
I'm thinking I'm good......but am I missing anything?

Check out the Dot Tune AF. This will help dial in focus. Talk about simple and easy.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 21, 2014 07:49 |  #420

Has anyone here contacted Canon to express their concerns? If not, then all this is in VAIN.

One thing I noticed is that when I enable "[AF] Lens drive when AF impossible" things got better. It's a setting that I always disabled in the 1D bodies, especially for BIF, because if I missed focus, with it enabled, it would go way out and was hard to get back on the bird. Just a thought on something else to try. But I see it may be of value now, especially with all the different AF zones in these newer bodies.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

1,369,052 views & 2,730 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.