Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do I know if my lens is as sharp as it should be?

alliben
302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 18, 2014 20:03 |  #16

You could rent another copy for a few days and test yours against it.

sponsored links
stevewf1
775 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 20, 2014 05:05 |  #17

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17280388 (external link)
Nope, not just you, that's where I stand on lenses too ;)

I'll second that... That "imagined standard" can really get to you if you let it.

Steve

WebDevGuy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 20, 2014 05:30 |  #18

Thanks everyone. I didn't try a test chart yet. Maybe I'll look into that.

7D Mark ii, T1i/500D, 17-55 2.8, 100-400L mk II - More Gear
flickr (external link)
Join the group: Canon 7D Mark II + Canon 100-400mm L IS II on flickr (external link)
5 out of 4 people can't do fractions.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 20, 2014 10:29 |  #19

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17280388 (external link)
Nope, not just you, that's where I stand on lenses too ;)

+1 and +2

I'm not sure this kind of thinking will ever reach a successful outcome without knowing where "should be" falls in the analysis. I think the OP's best bet is to go through a thorough inspection of the lens by following a guide like this one (external link) and if results aren't satisfactory or do not meet expectations return the lens or sell it and move on.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,359 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 20, 2014 12:08 |  #20

stevewf1 wrote in post #17283004 (external link)
I'll second that... That "imagined standard" can really get to you if you let it.

Yup. For me as long as the lens works as it's technically supposed to (no AF or iris issues) and the results look pleasing to my eyes then I'm happy, I really don't care to spend hours looking into every corner of a photo to see if it 100% matches someone else's copy... but to each his own.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 21, 2014 10:55 |  #21

Some folks look at a tree instead of the forest ... If you have a problem lens or camera, it will generally jump right out at you when you look at an image. If the image on a screen, and in a print, looks good to you, then accept that.

You can get so caught up in the technical aspects of "sharp and perfect" that you spend all your time on the technology and no time on the art. Shoot a few shots at a stable target, shoot a few shots at a moving target. Look at the results -- if you like it ... enjoy your time with the camera/lens.

Some photo folks NEED the perfect technical detail for the work, so for them, it means performing all the tests required to meet that "work flow standard" ... but for most of us, what we see is what we get - and if it suits you personally and you find enjoyment and satisfaction with the images you create -- just go for it.

If someone opens my images, and then only thing that person can say about that image is: You have six pixels out of place or weak, or a quarter inch space around the edge is a bit blurred - I'd be happy to leave it 'broken' ... and someone will always say it.

Photography is for the photographer, the creative expression. Anyone else that opens or looks at those images are merely voyeurs to the individual process and artistic expression.

That's not to say the information on sites like this (the detail processes) is worthless, it's not, it's very valuable in learning how to create images you find engaging. But the final judgement is your own, and the gauge remains "you like it". That's the magic of art...

There is even an art to creating that "perfect blurred image", altho' some do it without trying. :) :) :)

davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 21, 2014 23:43 |  #22

Brickwall photo, autofocus in the center, ISO 100, F/4 F/8 F/11, post photos here... or shoot one of the test charts as advised.

Handheld photos of random subjects become a guessing game, especially when compared to random Flickr shots. Guesswork is not necessary for lens testing. More often than not, they focus correctly or they do not.

The actual worst way to "test" a lens, is to photograph random dog, landscape, house, etc w/o proper technique (handheld, poor lighting, high iso, etc) and try to justify results. Don't do it!

Dave
flickr  (external link)Twitter  (external link)Wordpress Blog (external link) YouTube (external link)
My Gear--> Facebook (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,908 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 22, 2014 00:53 |  #23

Charlie wrote in post #17279267 (external link)
pixel peep a lot, test charts, experience. If you think you have an issue, tripod brick wall is a good test for sharpness. A really large monitor or pair can help you figure things out.

that sounds just miserable...who the hell wants to do all that...if you pixel peep long enough you'll find a problem with every lens

take pictures...if you don't like the way the pictures come out, put it on a tripod...if the tripod pictures are good enough for you, work on your technique...if they're not, see if there's something wrong with the lens, or buy a more expensive lens, or figure out how to get what you want with the lens you have

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

alliben
302 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 22, 2014 06:09 |  #24

Because the subject is the same in pattern and in lighting, it's easier with the brick wall test to check for vignetting, and check for sharpness in the center and along the edges. Because of it's linear pattern, it's easier to check for distortion. After spending good money for a lens, you want to check it quickly and thoroughly during the return period.

sponsored links

4,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I know if my lens is as sharp as it should be?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.