Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 19 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

can I machine wash a crumpler camera bag

idsurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,022 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 20, 2014 21:44 |  #16

gonzogolf wrote in post #17284604 (external link)
I'll translate.
Thanks for contacing crumpler

Here are some innefective things, give them a shot. Then buy a new bag from us.

Signed, crumpler.

I agree… I've already wasted six bucks on febeze. I just stuffed it in the machine for a good washin' with some high-powered detergent. I'll likely just throw it in the dryer on a warm cycle. If it falls apart, oh well, I learned a couple things… 1) don't wash a Crumpler bag ... 2) don't buy anything used over the Internet that might retain the smell of its previous owner!

For anyone that's interested, I'll post back tomorrow with the results.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links
seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2014 21:58 |  #17

I would give it a wash with stuff called Nikwax Techwash then proof it with TX.Direct wash-in.

Stuff like this: Nikwax Tech Wash & TX Direct (external link)

idsurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,022 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 21, 2014 16:43 |  #18

I'll post my results in case anyone is interested or in the event someone searches the same question down the road. The answer is YES the Crumpler 6 million dollar home did indeed survive a gentle cycle through my washing machine. In fact, the bag seems just fine. Maybe a little less stiff, seems kinda "broken in" if you will. If there is a "protective coating" on this bag, I can't tell any difference after the wash. And most importantly, it smells MUCH improved! No real smell at all. The side pocket that likely stayed shut during the wash still has a tiny amount of odor, but I'm probably hypersensitive at this point. I might just wash it again for good measure. Likely it will just fade with time. BTW, I dried it in the dryer on lower heat for 30 minutes and let it sit out overnight. So, there you have it….I guess you can wash these bags in the machine. At least I washed mine and it didn't fall apart! Hope this helps someone in the future searching for an answer to the same question.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Ray ­ Marrero
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 21, 2014 16:57 |  #19

Sibil wrote in post #17283180 (external link)
Take it with you to the shower with a gentle brush, and shampoo. Then put it in the sun to dry.

+1

I have done this many times. I have bought a few bags in garage sales and always wash them in the tub. Then in the sun to dry. I also spray the heck out of them with cologne. They come out great.

Ray
Canon 6D, 7D, 30D, Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 x2, Flashpoint eVOLV 200 and XPlor 600, AB800 x3, Canon 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8L, 24-105mm 4.0L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Sigma 28-105mm 2.8, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, CyberSyncs.

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 21, 2014 19:57 |  #20

I don't have a lot of bags, but all my bags have a tag somewhere inside with the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning. Just like, you know, clothing. I would tend to trust those.

(Somewhere out there is a camera bag with a tag that says: remove camera before cleaning.)

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 22, 2014 20:46 |  #21

I own a coin laundry. Wash it in a 18-20# front load washer on permanent press and cold water with recommended amount of soap (found oddly enough on the side of the soap box). If you use the commercial soap at the laundry, Surge, you will have a very, very light citrus odor after cleaning. If the odor is really strong, use some oxyclean. Air dry by blowing a fan on it until dry. Machine cost at my store is $2.50 plus the soap. We do this for rugs, canvas, sleeping bags, comforters, and other bulky items with good results.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

Charlie ­ Victor
173 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 23, 2014 15:01 as a reply to  @ Seamus69's post |  #22

I've cleaned my very well travelled Crumpler and Kata bags in the washing machine several times in the 5 years I've owned them. Normal non bio detergent - whatever was to hand - and 20 deg C to play safe. I did the inserts separately by hand so that Velcro hooks couldn't wreak havoc.

The first time I washed the Kata was in the winter and it took over a day to dry out even when placed next to the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard with result that it had a slightly musty smell for a couple of weeks but removing the removable cushioning material (which I found out afterwards could be done!) showed no visible mould; just nice, white, inserts.

Since then, washing has been in the summer with the bags put in the conservatory to dry out and there has been no detectable smell afterwards.

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35 f/4 L / EF 24-105 L / Sigma 50 f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II / EF 100‑400 f/4.5‑5.6 L is II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Canon G1X mark iii
GoPro Hero 3+
iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung S10

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 26, 2014 20:06 |  #23

seall wrote in post #17284634 (external link)
I would give it a wash with stuff called Nikwax Techwash then proof it with TX.Direct wash-in.

Stuff like this: Nikwax Tech Wash & TX Direct (external link)

I agree. Use the Nikwax washing product and do it by hand in the sink. Then use the Nikwax waterproofer. I've used it on Lowepro bags, on rain jackets and pants that got dirty. The dirt comes out, the waterproofing goes in, and the material is just as soft and pliable as when it was new.

Photo courtesy Amazon

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links

14,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
can I machine wash a crumpler camera bag
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.