Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 20:17
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is Sepia ok in today's photography?"
Yes, If it's done correctly
57.4%
Nope, too instagram-like or other reasons
26.5%
I like to answer polls
16.2%

68 voters, 68 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's your opinion of Sepia?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 19, 2014 20:17 |  #1

I didn't post this in the post processing section because it's not a question of how to do it, more should I (or you, or anyone) do it? I know it used to be popular, but now with the popularity of programs like Instagram, does it come off as cheesy? Is there no room for sepia, anymore? Has photography gone strictly to color and B&W?

What's your opinion?

I will add a picture edited in all three styles below for reference:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5612/15646003660_8334386133_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pQzR​MN  (external link) I54C4432-3 (external link) by Jared M. Jarvis Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7502/15807210306_5086c1d8f3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/q5Q5​UJ  (external link) I54C4432-4 (external link) by Jared M. Jarvis Photography (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8541/15211375443_fb3121376b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pbbg​XR  (external link) I54C4432 (external link) by Jared M. Jarvis Photography (external link), on Flickr

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,331 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 19, 2014 22:04 |  #2

I think Sepia effect is popular between image software developers, from very beginning.
Not among photogs and clients.
:)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 19, 2014 22:26 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Not sure what to tell you as someone who shoots and develop in BW films and occasionally dabbles with BW digitial conversion...hehehe...​.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,324 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 21, 2014 18:10 |  #4

I like sepia a lot in certain shots, I think it works for this one, though I like it in plain B&W as well.

Ultimately just remember that if you like it, then other people are bound to as well ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

jay125
back in 7th grade
10,596 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 21, 2014 20:33 |  #5

Like every other style available, sepia has it's place. I am more into B&W but I have used sepia where I felt it added to the overall appeal of the photograph.

feedback

gear list

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,662 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 21, 2014 20:56 |  #6

If I'm right, I think you are asking whether or not there is a place for converting images to sepia in todays place of photography. I guess my opinion is this….Processing of an image has come a long way with software and digital photography. There are many people that are very very good at subtle but very appealing adjustments with both color and B&W images in the post process. Simply converting an image to sepia, in my opinion, looks like a photog is trying for something a little different but either isn't willing to put much effort into the final product or simply lacks the skills/experience to create a standout image. FWIW, I like the B&W the best.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 21, 2014 22:12 |  #7

I recently took some pictures of my sister's daughter for her to print and frame on the wall. She wanted them converting to sepia. In her opinion it made them look flattering, arty, a bit different from normal snapshots and therefore wall-worthy.

Nothing wrong with that, there's room for all tastes, even HDR, some people just like it!

I like it in your example, it works really well but the pure B&W would be my preference.

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
7,068 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 21, 2014 22:40 |  #8

I myself would save sepia processing for photos that have parts of it that are from the era when sepia was common. For example, a wedding photo with a 1940's or 50's model car transporting the bride is just asking to be done in sepia tone.

The photo above would be more appropriate for that style if the guy was wearing trousers and a button up shirt and with the young lady in an evening dress.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2014 22:58 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #9

Unless you are looking for a vintage effect it looks a bit hokey. It had a purpose back when prints were toned by soaking them in a toning bath. Now its just another color treatment.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 22, 2014 07:03 |  #10

Thanks for the responses everyone. I personally like the above image best in b&w but I think it looks ok in sepia too. I agree with the posts about it adding to an already "vintage" style photo. I think it would work best in that arena.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sjones
Goldmember
2,213 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 22, 2014 10:46 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #11

Sepia has its history as an archival process for prints, and it was therefore used frequently during the early stages of photography. Consequently, sepia is understandably associated with antiquity, in which case the current use of sepia for this effect in particular can come off as gimmicky.

This is somewhat unfortunate, for in B&W photography, sepia today serves as a useful warming agent, whether produced chemically or digitally. Other toning effects include gold, platinum, palladium, and van dyke, among others. These give monochrome photos a warmer presence and sometimes a greater sense of depth.

Likewise, a bluish tone will give a B&W photo a colder feel. Even paper for inkjet prints can be found in warm-tone, neutral, and cool; all of these serving as useful aesthetic tools, particularly given the importance tonality plays in B&W photography.

Split toning is also a popular process in B&W photography, and one particular effect I enjoy, where appropriate, is a goldish-brown in the mid tones and highlights with a bluish tone in the shadows.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you like with the understanding that most any brownish toning effect will invariably evoke, in the eyes of others, an “old fashion” look irrespective of your intent. Personally, I choose to ignore this, since I have the luxury of being only a hobbyist free from client demand.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 22, 2014 11:20 |  #12

I don't necessarily care for the shade of sepia that the software provides. Often I work up something with Photoshop Photo filters that suits my intention better.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,190 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2014 12:47 |  #13

IMAGE: http://www.billpiperphotos.com/img/s8/v84/p1828930885-4.jpg

I like it.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,400 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 22, 2014 23:56 |  #14

advaitin wrote in post #17287066 (external link)
I don't necessarily care for the shade of sepia that the software provides. Often I work up something with Photoshop Photo filters that suits my intention better.

I agree. Usually when I do a sepia tone, I do a B&W with a color cast to my liking. Not the stock sepia from the editing program.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,057 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2014 17:17 |  #15

^^^ the same here. It's more like Warm B&W instead of Sepia. This (external link) is what I get usually do.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links

3,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's your opinion of Sepia?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.