Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

File size help

Number9
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 09, 2014 11:44 |  #1

Hi All,
I am shooting in Raw.I import the file with Lightroom and then open it in Adobe Camera raw it is around 28.4MB, that's Ok. So i do some work on it, Brighten it up, change the contrast a small bit. So then i press open image, and it opens in PS. I then add all my file info (who, what, when, where and why) and then save it. But i cant get it to be under 1MB, as I need it to be for Newspaper Requirements. This doesn't always happen, but when it does i cant send it to the paper as they need files below 1MB.

I know I'm probably going about this the long way.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 09, 2014 11:49 |  #2

When you save the file you will have to lower some of the encoding quality or crop the image.

jpeg file encoding is a lossy process and is based on patterns. It matches what data is there to the nearest pattern it can, but since some images have more 'pattern' to work with than others then they can be stored in less data than others. The images that are over the 1MB will have less regular and uniform information behind them, and don't compress as well. By lowering the quality it will be more flexible in matching it to patterns farther away, thereby willing to lose more data, but in general it becomes very hard to notice this difference.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,066 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 09, 2014 11:51 |  #3

I just Export from Lightroom. The Export dialog has lots of settings. Select JPG, compression options, and your file dimensions and you should be able to make it to the right size.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,613 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2014 14:26 |  #4

Does the paper in question require a PSD? If so, you can make sure you have only one layer and then reduce dimensions to get below the max.

Most all pubs are happy with a TIF and most will accept a high resolution JPG. You can do lossless LZW compression on the TIF and should keep the JPG quality as high as possible.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

moose10101
registered smartass
1,670 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 10, 2014 14:55 |  #5

Number9 wrote in post #17261134 (external link)
Hi All,
I am shooting in Raw.I import the file with Lightroom and then open it in Adobe Camera raw it is around 28.4MB, that's Ok. So i do some work on it, Brighten it up, change the contrast a small bit. So then i press open image, and it opens in PS. I then add all my file info (who, what, when, where and why) and then save it. But i cant get it to be under 1MB, as I need it to be for Newspaper Requirements. This doesn't always happen, but when it does i cant send it to the paper as they need files below 1MB.

I know I'm probably going about this the long way.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

What file format do they require?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 10, 2014 19:22 |  #6

I am at a loss why you are importing the image into LR, then opening it in ACR to process the RAW data, and then using PS to add EXIF/IPTC data. This is the sort of work that LR is supremely good at, in fact it's pretty much LR's core functionality.

I would be importing into LR, and then applying all of the data to the images, actually you can set LR to add all of your personal data like copyright and contact details, as well as basic Keywords etc automatically on import. I do all of that as well as adding IPTC News Subject codes to all of my images on import to LR. All of this can also/additionally be done in the Library module. The other advantage of using LR for this is that it allows you to add data to more than one image at a time. I actually also use the Map module to add location data to all of my images.

I then use the Develop module to do all of my RAW processing. The LR Dev module has all of the same tools as you will find in ACR, although they are laid out a bit differently. Once you have finished processing your images, it then becomes very simple to export your RAW files in any format that you need. For example I have a preset for my local paper submissions that resamples the image so that it is saved at 2048 Px on the long edge, as an sRGB JPEG at 80%. You can also set the export module up so that it will save the image with variable compression levels, so that a maximum file size requirement is met. Most newspapers do not need full sized files from modern DSLR's, and resizing the image down to something appropriate to the use that the paper will make of the files also helps to reduce the finished file size.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 11, 2014 08:13 |  #7

Reduce the dimension of the image to something like 1800x2400, then you will have no problem with getting it under the 1 meg file size limit.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Number9
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 22, 2014 14:41 |  #8

Thanks to all who replied, Requirements vary from paper to paper. I received this email from one of the papers, "Scan / Size your picture to a file size of 5 to 15 Megabytes - When Open.

Save ONLY as a JPEG / .Jpg @ Medium setting (giving a closed file size of 200-1Mb)

Im a bit confused with some of the above. How do i size my picture to a 5/15Mb?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 22, 2014 14:51 |  #9

Number9 wrote in post #17287306 (external link)
Thanks to all who replied, Requirements vary from paper to paper. I received this email from one of the papers, "Scan / Size your picture to a file size of 5 to 15 Megabytes - When Open.

Save ONLY as a JPEG / .Jpg @ Medium setting (giving a closed file size of 200-1Mb)

Im a bit confused with some of the above. How do i size my picture to a 5/15Mb?

I seriously think you and/or the newspaper editors are totally confusing megapixels and megabytes.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2014 17:34 |  #10

A jpg is a compressed file, but when it is opened in an application the first thing that happens is that it is decompressed back to its full size. It can be said, therefore, to have two sizes - compressed and full. An RGB 8 bit image has 8 bits or 1 byte per channel, so 3 bytes per pixel. If the image has 5,750,000 pixels (5.75 MP), that makes 15 MB (1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 KB in a megabyte). For 5 MB you need 1/3 the number of pixels, 1.9 MP. So in other words they want images that are between 2 and 5.75 MP. For 2:3 images, that's 1200x1800 to 1926x2889.

As discussed above, the compressed size will be determined by the quality setting and the image content.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 23, 2014 03:23 |  #11

The paper in the example would be much better off if they gave resolution requirements in pixels, and then compressed file size. Much more understandable for everybody that way. Using uncompressed file sizes in submission requirements seems to be one of the biggest reccuring problems that get questions asked on the forum. Total number of Pixels required is so much simpler, and is easy to find for most image. The compressed file size is again easy to find, and should not cause confusion when also specifying that images be in JPEG format.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 24, 2015 22:05 |  #12

I'm just popping in, it's been a couple months since the last post (sorry, I've been "out of action"), I'm wondering if the OP has resolved things? It's not complicated, just simple workflow stuff similar to saving a photo to post here on the POTN forum, just let us know if there are still questions/problems!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,953 views & 1 like for this thread
File size help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.