Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 04:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #511 - My Town

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 18, 2014 04:07 |  #1

EDIT to include image comments and results......

COMMENTS

First a thank you to everyone for participating and making the challenge worthwhile. Long may it continue.

Given the brief to shoot for a "brochure" cover page (or a poster) I was keen to see whether anyone would submit their entry in portrait orientation and I'm quite surprised that nobody did. So with the playing field level on that score here are my thoughts on the photos as submitted.

@gug - A very pleasant and appealing scene, with inviting weather to encourage people to visit. i do think there is a little too much vacant foreground and perhaps a small crop would help remedy that. Also I wonder if it would benefit from seeing families there, picnicking and playing, but it's just a thought.

@teekay - A fine looking building. However, I think it would shine more with a little more light hitting the front towards camera as it is a bit shadowy. I also find the tilted camera and leaning perspective to be a little offputting. stepping further back and using a longer focal length would have reduced the tilt effect, or an edit tweak would have been an alternative option. The other approach is to shoot wide, with the camera held level, and then crop out the surplus foreground as necessary.

@Spoco57 - I'm afraid this scene would not inspire me to visit. It may be tough to find the right visual appeal where you live, in which case I am sorry, but an empty street strewn with overhead wires an signage everywhere doesn't seem to suit the brief. At least the blue skies and sunshine are cheery contributions.

@rpolitsr - You surely see what you get for your money here - big city attractions and wide open spaces as well as a liberal dose of sunshine. That snow covered peak would make a fine backdrop to any location.

@Raven - Unless you live on the boat this picture doesn't seem to represent "My Town" or a place to visit. Indeed, the boat appears to be leaving, although perhaps it isn't. White balance looks a bit on the blue side to me.

@marie - I assume this is a canal, somewhere, and canals can be lovely places to visit. Indeed the small cottage on the right looks particularly charming, but is the one next to it derelict or unoccupied? I'm also not sure about the composition. The "nice" cottage has been cropped through and the barges are similarly cropped, seemingly at random. I think either a tighter composition on the nice cottage or a wider one, to include more of the overall scene would help the sale.

RESULTS

So with all that out of the way my votes go as follows.....

1. @rpolitsr - Has the most immediate appeal to me and that appeal continued to endure as I was repeatedly viewing all the submissions. Congratulations on this week's win. You have the honour of hosting the next challenge.

2. @gug - It was quite a close call between this and the winner, but that sunlit mountain peak really captured my interest. Better luck next time.

3. @teekay - A cool looking building. I would just like to see it in a (literally) warmer light.

Commiserations to the remaining participants. I look forward to seeing you all on the next challenge.

Challenge #511 - My Town

Imagine your town/village/city preparing a brochure (or poster) to market itself. Your task is to photograph the cover photo for that brochure, presenting some key feature of your locale in its best light (Hah! Hah!) Don't limit yourself to daytime. Any hour of the day that works will be good.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 24th November 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12 ,G1X, G1X II, G15, G16, G7X) or Pro 1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

sponsored links
gug
355 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 20, 2014 06:00 |  #2

Elizabeth Park North Bridge

G16

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 5 years ago by teekay.

Nov 22, 2014 10:47 as a reply to  @ gug's post |  #3

The Courthouse

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg

G15

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 22, 2014 14:32 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #4

lazy summer main street

G1X

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7490/15666377650_b5aa31e1fb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pSoh​gu  (external link) rush (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 22, 2014 17:13 |  #5

surrounded by volcanoes

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/511_MyTown_IMG_3260_960.jpg

powershot Pro1

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 24, 2014 03:14 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #6

Mt. Rainier and Puget Sound

G10

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v49/p87189243-5.jpg

~ Jim

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Nov 24, 2014 05:09 as a reply to  @ Raven's post |  #7

outside the busy boundaries

Pro1
1/500 f/4

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/133218803/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

tdodd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 24, 2014 07:46 |  #8

The challenge is now closed to further entries as the noon GMT deadline has passed. I shall announce winner and runners up later, once I have had opportunity to consider all the photographs fully. Thanks to all for your participation.

tdodd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 24, 2014 10:35 |  #9

Results now added to the first post.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 24, 2014 11:02 as a reply to  @ tdodd's post |  #10

Congratulations to Rafael (hard to beat that shot!) and Gug, and thanks for the #3 spot. Glad to see some more shots came in at the end. The subject seemed such an easy one that I as expecting a lot .

.....I also find the tilted camera and leaning perspective to be a little offputting......

Actually I don't think the camera was tilted much at all. The building is on a hill so the road in front is sloped. That, plus a normal perspective distortion, made it impossible to get everything at right angles.

tdodd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 24, 2014 11:11 |  #11

teekay wrote in post #17290416 (external link)
Actually I don't think the camera was tilted much at all. The building is on a hill so the road in front is sloped. That, plus a normal perspective distortion, made it impossible to get everything at right angles.

I see that you don't have image editing enabled, but would you allow me to post a version with some of the tilt removed?

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Nov 24, 2014 12:07 |  #12

tdodd wrote in post #17290438 (external link)
I see that you don't have image editing enabled, but would you allow me to post a version with some of the tilt removed?

Please don't bother - I will accept that the shot, like most of my images, could always be improved with more editing.;)

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 24, 2014 14:32 |  #13

Congrats Rafael! That shot is hard to beat. Congrats to gug and teekay as well. Love the red ivy on that building teekay. I'm guessing hillside architecture is par for the course where you live, teekay?

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 24, 2014 15:09 |  #14

Congrats to the winners! We are back home & I am looking forward to jumping in to the next challenge:D:D

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 24, 2014 17:34 |  #15

Nice to see you posting again, Maureen. Greetings to Skip.

Congratulations to all who posted, specially gug and teekay.

My picture, cropped and reduced, was my avatar for many years.

I am lucky. The shot was done from the flat roof of my home a day without clouds between the mountain and the city.
Unfortunately, from the windows of my apartment, I see only the trees in the garden.

That snow covered peak would make a fine backdrop to any location.

Yes, as long as it stays quiet. It is just 35 miles south of my home and 19500 feet high. With near 50 know eruptions in historic times (1500 to 2014) it is an active danger. The city of Latacunga has been leveled at least twice in the latest eruptions.

Thank you tdodd for running this challenge. I will start a new one as soon as possible.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links

4,752 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #511 - My Town
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.