Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T3 with 18-55 doesn't recognize AF switch is on?

xG33Kx
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 20, 2014 20:48 |  #1

Sometimes, when I turn my T3 on and then flip the AF switch on the lens, it doesn't acknowledge that AF is on. In live view, I can just hit the live view button twice and it starts focusing (I use the pentamirror to focus for live view, very rarely) but I always shoot from the viewfinder and it doesn't work until I leave the AF switch on, shut the camera off, and turn it back on. Does anybody know what might be going on? Is it a lens or a camera problem? Thanks in advance!

Paul

sponsored links
xG33Kx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 20, 2014 21:20 |  #2

I came up with a hypothesis, actually. I think I may have worn out the AF switch on the lens. I have a habit of shutting it off and resetting the lens to its "shortest" mode (focus barrel all the way in, lens about 2/3 of the way between 24 and 35mm marks) before I pack it up, and most of the time switch it off before shutting it off. Then, of course, most of the time I switch it back on when I turn the camera on, sometimes a few times in a row. I tried pushing in on the button while flipping it on with the camera already on, and it seems to work just fine.

xG33Kx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Nov 22, 2014 16:30 |  #3

Bump

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 22, 2014 16:59 as a reply to  @ xG33Kx's post |  #4

I didn't think the AF switch on a lens was an "on - off" switch that needed to be actuated with the turning on or off of the camera's power.

I thought it was essentially there for the purpose of allowing you to manually focus the lens - and stop the AF from "trying" such as in low light settings or total darkness (moonlight) where the lens will just keep trying to focus and "hunt" for it.

Hadn't ever even considered turning this on and off each time I powered up or shut down my cameras.

Could you explain exactly what is the advantage of doing this?

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 22, 2014 18:20 |  #5

Hillbille wrote in post #17287474 (external link)
Hadn't ever even considered turning this on and off each time I powered up or shut down my cameras.

Could you explain exactly what is the advantage of doing this?

He said he was doing it to adjust the lens so it was at its shortest length when he packed it away, so I assume he is just wanting to save space in his bag. I do the same when I put mine away, but don't need to flick the AF switch as all mine are USM lenses so I can just turn the barrel whilst in AF.

The advantage of flipping the switch is that it is possible to damage, or even strip, the gears if you adjust focus manually, whilst the AF switch is at "AF", even when the camera is powered off. This doesn't apply to USM lenses etc., as they have no gears to strip

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 22, 2014 22:10 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #6

So - if I understand what you are saying - you believe the lenses are receiving power to it's gear train even when the camera is off - and the gear train inside can be "stripped" by manually moving the barrel without having that switch in it's "off" position?

Right?

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 23, 2014 02:11 |  #7

No because the AF/MF switch throws the motor clutch in and out of engaement even with the lens unmounted. I should add that the gear system on non-USM lenses is not up to turning even the unpowered motor.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 23, 2014 10:57 |  #8

Hillbille wrote in post #17287972 (external link)
So - if I understand what you are saying - you believe the lenses are receiving power to it's gear train even when the camera is off - and the gear train inside can be "stripped" by manually moving the barrel without having that switch in it's "off" position?

Right?

Hillbille

No, I never said they were receiving power.

When the switch is set to AF the gears are engaged, and if you try and turn the barrel you are fighting against the gears locked in place by the motor, even when unpowered. It's probably much the same as trying to push a non-running car that is in gear, you are trying to turn the whole motor. Whether the lens is powered up or not, you are putting a lot of strain on the gears and can damage them.

A guy at my camera club bought a 55-250 and complained about the AF packing up after he had only used it 3 times. Turned out he had been using the focus ring whilst in AF and wrecked the gears.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 23, 2014 11:32 |  #9

While you are correct that your particular lens should be turned off before manually focusing it, I think if you do this a lot you are going to be wearing the AF/MF switch out pretty fast... maybe you already have.

Instead, to accomplish the same result you can simply leave the AF turned on and point your camera and lens toward a distant object and activate AF by half-pressing the shutter release button. That will set the focus to infinity, which will also make the lens physically the shortest possible for storage. Same result without having to flip that switch so often.

Live View focusing isn't something I do enough to be able to advise about it.

One note of clarification: you are using what Canon calls "Quick Mode" or something like that, in Live View, where it momentarily drops down the camera's mirror, focuses, then raises the mirror again for Live View to be active.

That is not the "pentamirror" being dropped down and raised for Quick Mode. The pentamirror is part of the viewfinder assembly, above the mirror that you see inside the camera when the lens is removed, above the focus screen, inside the "hump" on the top of the camera. Rebel series cameras use a pentamirror (to save weight and cost) to reflect the image in the viewfinder, while the more advanced Canon cameras use a true pentaprism.

This is a relatively minor thing, but could cause confusion while discussing and trying to solve your problem.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

1,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3 with 18-55 doesn't recognize AF switch is on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.