Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 08:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 17, 2014 09:34 |  #3721

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17276830 (external link)
So you know him to...

Not HIM specifically - but I had several LIKE him during my working career. How does that old saying go? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ?;)

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 19, 2014 21:40 |  #3722

IMAGE: http://imageshack.com/a/img674/6770/lhQnw0.jpg

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2014 19:28 |  #3723

^^^Interesting perspective Elrey, and I really like the strong tones.

Growing old disgracefully!

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2014 19:32 |  #3724

Took a stroll on the beach yesterday...the weather has been atrocious for this time of the year, but the sea mist and a fleeting ray of sun created a moment I was able to catch.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 23, 2014 06:55 |  #3725

I always tend to shoot feel good pictures but this one seems tortured

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3679/12074091495_a2526fd850_c.jpg

I try to make art by pushing buttons

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,857 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 23, 2014 10:01 |  #3726

K Soze wrote in post #17288355 (external link)
I always tend to shoot feel good pictures but this one seems tortured

Hmm hmm. (Squinting . . . ) It can also be read as a study of a human form decorated by light.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2014 10:08 |  #3727

First like the light and use of space Ricardo. Like the tones and the perspective on elreys.

The last shot I think is just a bit to literal. I think the real mojo is the human form and the light pattern (see some of Ralph Gibsons work) so I would say do not include the face and concentrate on those elements that are the most interesting. The shape upper part of the left arm the back and that wonderful pattern of light. Thats my 2 cents...

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2014 10:52 |  #3728

I usually do not talk about crops or tell people how to crop but I think with this crop, in my humble opinion, this is a very strong image. And of course for me B&W...

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/airfrogusmc025/12074091495_a2526fd850_c_zps89df6f16.jpg

armis
890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 23, 2014 11:25 |  #3729

I agree with the B&W. There's some magenta aberration that I find distracting, plus it's already a monochrome image anyway. The pattern's what's interesting. I'm not too sure about the crop airfrog suggests but do agree there's a little too much wasted space top left. I like the idea of cropping out the eyes and leaving only the lips though; maybe try something halfway?

Ricardo, there are many things I like in your shot but I find them far apart from one another to play together. The clouds, the parachute-thing (I forget the name :p) and the silhouettes on the beach. Of the three, the silhouettes attract me the most, probably due to the contrast. In fact, I think an extreme panoramic crop of the right side of the beach would be a very nice, minimalist composition. As it is, I feel you've constrained yourself to a near-3:2 format when you don't really need all that room up top.

Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms, Samyang 12
www.wtbphoto.com (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2014 12:23 |  #3730

Agree with BW edit. Much stronger edit and I think the crop is good.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 23, 2014 13:24 |  #3731

To go forward or backward?

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7504/15236873703_c822b83c18_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pdqX​H2  (external link) Adventure (external link) by Ranie Dib (external link), on Flickr

www.raniedib.com (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 23, 2014 14:01 |  #3732

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17288530 (external link)
First like the light and use of space Ricardo. Like the tones and the perspective on elreys.

Thanks Allen.

armis wrote in post #17288666 (external link)
Ricardo, there are many things I like in your shot but I find them far apart from one another to play together. The clouds, the parachute-thing (I forget the name :p) and the silhouettes on the beach. Of the three, the silhouettes attract me the most, probably due to the contrast. In fact, I think an extreme panoramic crop of the right side of the beach would be a very nice, minimalist composition. As it is, I feel you've constrained yourself to a near-3:2 format when you don't really need all that room up top.

Those are very interesting comments Armis. Thank you for your observations which have encouraged me to look at that image again. The composition you suggest would certainly work by emphasising the people and creating a strong graphically interesting image.

But then I am reminded of why I chose that way to make the image in the first place. I recall having this discussion some time ago where I explained how the strongest influences I retain from my past are about isolation and the vastness of nature. Not diminishing mankind's role in nature, but rather celebrating the joy of wide open spaces and our sharing of them.

With those influences in mind (which I don't consciously think about when making the image, but which are no doubt guiding my sub-conscious,) I see that vast expanse of sky as a vital part of the composition. The humans in the picture are important, essential even, but they have their place. Also, the dark clouds above have a rather threatening quality that also plays a part.

Allen is becoming familiar with my work and commented on the "space" as being a relevant part of the composition...and this thread has helped me understand more about the influences that drive me when composing images like this. Of course, I don't think about all this when taking a shot...that ray of sun was far too fleeting for that...rather I just let my instincts take over and let them guide the composition.

I apologise for my rather long winded response, but I really appreciated your observations, and true to the intent of this thread, they made me think about the way I make photographs.

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2014 16:03 |  #3733

I would leave as is Ricardo. I love the space because it really give a sense of scale. How small everything is in relationship to the vast landscape.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,066 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 23, 2014 17:49 |  #3734

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17288999 (external link)
I would leave as is Ricardo. I love the space because it really give a sense of scale. How small everything is in relationship to the vast landscape.

Thanks Allen. I guessed from previous comments that you understood what I was getting at regarding space and the depiction of solitude.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,857 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by OhLook.

Nov 27, 2014 20:08 |  #3735

The nice thing about walking on a holiday is, there's hardly any traffic. These are leaves on a street. Look what the low midafternoon November sun does!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from OhLook's gallery.

I wish I'd noticed the bluish-white disk of chewing gum (?) before shooting.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

405,939 views & 102 likes for this thread
Composition and all that Arty stuff - discussion thread.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.