Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 21 Nov 2014 (Friday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Winter time light changes?

moxphoto
169 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 21, 2014 16:10 |  #1

Hey guys,

So this is my first winter season since starting to take photography seriously and doing paid work etc. I live in Southern California so its hardly a winter here, no snow or anything like that, however the days have become much shorter and I've noticed the light seems different.. its seems the suns changed position and the quality of the light seems different..

Its sort of thrown me off a bit, I think I got so used to the light behaving a certain way over the long summer season, not I'm still trying to get used to it.

Anyone else experience this? How do you adapt to it? Its like, I had these spots that I knew were good at certain times of day to photograph, but now it seems everything changed. I guess I need to be more adaptable/flexible.. I can't imagine trying to do photography somewhere where theres a real winter with feet of snow etc.. how do you run a photography business like that?

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 21, 2014 16:19 |  #2

I'm probably a lot north of you, but the main difference in winter aside from the shorter days will be the angle of the sun. In summer, the daytime sun is quite nearly overhead. This makes for lots of hard shadows. In the winter, even at noon the sun is rather low in the southern sky (at least it is here at 43 degrees north latitude) and so you get something more akin to the 'golden hour' all day long.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 21, 2014 16:38 |  #3

In the Portland area not only does the light change, but if you are not shooting at noon you have no light lol. I adapted by moving into my studio as soon as August was over and I will go back outside by mid July I hope. I take that back we do some snowbunny shoots during the winter outside in the snow.

moxphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2014

Nov 21, 2014 20:06 |  #4

Yea.. its definitely changed quite a bit. Seems like theres less light overall.. and the position of the sun changed.. and the qualities a bit different. Feel like its thrown me off a bit, but I gotta get used to it! I don't have a studio and I don't really use lights outdoors so I rely on the natural light a lot.. I suppose I need to start shooting earlier in the day too.. It changed so fast, seemed like just a month ago the sun was going down at 8:00 now its 5:00. I guess I never paid as much attention to the light before taking up photography.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 22, 2014 22:51 |  #5

moxphoto wrote in post #17285837 (external link)
. I can't imagine trying to do photography somewhere where theres a real winter with feet of snow etc.. how do you run a photography business like that?

If you are running a photography business you are probably shooting people. Get a studio and control your light.

Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 22, 2014 23:03 |  #6

I use Suncalc all the time and see the sun's trajectory change during the year. It helps to visualize and see where the sun will be. Tons of free apps to see the path of the sun too :)

http://suncalc.net/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
Winter time light changes?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.