Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Nov 2014 (Friday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gear selection for Europe trip

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 23, 2014 10:41 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

Archibald wrote in post #17288567 (external link)
What you say reflects what many of us do. But it is ironic, because we are in a much better position to get great shots of the places close to home. And the locals in those European destinations are much more likely to be able to get great shots where they are.

If this was about getting great pictures, then the answer would be to buy a photo book of the location you are visiting. If it's about recording what you actually experienced while there, a P&S would suffice. But in fact for many of us it's about using our gear. We want to use the gear that we have acquired and treasure.

Speak for yourself. I don't care how many times a place was photographed, I like to photograph it with my own vision in mind. It might look like someone else's photo...but then it might be a very unique view of the same thing that was photographed thousands of times before.

That's sort of like saying...why paint, its all been painted before...just buy a book. Or why make music...its all been done before, just buy a CD.

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2014 10:44 |  #47

advaitin wrote in post #17288528 (external link)
Below: 12mm in a cathedral.

Did you have a UV filter on the lens in that shot of the cathedral?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2014 10:47 |  #48

Hogloff wrote in post #17288592 (external link)
Speak for yourself. I don't care how many times a place was photographed, I like to photograph it with my own vision in mind. It might look like someone else's photo...but then it might be a very unique view of the same thing that was photographed thousands of times before.

That's sort of like saying...why paint, its all been painted before...just buy a book. Or why make music...its all been done before, just buy a CD.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do these things.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,029 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2014 10:49 |  #49

Based on what the OP has in his gear list, and the idea that this is primarily a family vacation, I'd take the T5i, 18-135 STM, and the 40 STM for portraits.

This would be a combo that would be a good compromise between portability and quality.

Apricane IG Travel/City (external link) IG Editorial/Fashion (external link)
EOS RP | 77D | M6 | 430EX II - 270EX II
EF ∑24-105A | 70-300L | 40 STM | 100L
EF-S 15-85 | 55-250 STM // EF-M 18-55 | 22

Capture One | Affinity Photo | ACDSee

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,235 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 23, 2014 10:49 |  #50

Archibald wrote in post #17288607 (external link)
I'm not saying you shouldn't do these things.

The way you wrote it was kind of confusing as I thought this is what you meant upon first reading it as well.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 23, 2014 10:49 |  #51

No. The lens has a very curved surface, without an exterior holder no wy to put a filter on it. But I liked the flares where they were.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2014 10:53 |  #52

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17288610 (external link)
The way you wrote it was kind of confusing as I thought this is what you meany upon first reading it as well.

Sometimes it is a useful exercise to consider what we do and why. And sometimes the truth hurts.

Anyway, I also accumulate gear and then go on trips to use it.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 23, 2014 10:55 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

Archibald wrote in post #17288616 (external link)
Sometimes it is a useful exercise to consider what we do and why. And sometimes the truth hurts.

What do you mean by "Sometimes the truth hurts". What are you trying to say here?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2014 10:58 |  #54

Hogloff wrote in post #17288620 (external link)
What do you mean by "Sometimes the truth hurts". What are you trying to say here?

Sometimes we come to realize why we do things, and then we don't like that.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 23, 2014 11:03 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

Archibald wrote in post #17288626 (external link)
Sometimes we come to realize why we do things, and then we don't like that.

OK...but how does this pertain to this discussion. I'm not following your train of thought here. What post are you referring to with such statements.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2014 11:12 |  #56

Hogloff wrote in post #17288635 (external link)
OK...but how does this pertain to this discussion. I'm not following your train of thought here. What post are you referring to with such statements.

We may fancy that we are going to exotic destinations to be great artists, capturing exquisite moments, etc... whereas we (not you but some people) might in fact just be enjoying working with gear that has been recently acquired.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 23, 2014 11:16 |  #57

The Sigma 12-24, like the Canon 17mm tse has a bulbous lens.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 23, 2014 11:28 |  #58

Archibald wrote in post #17288567 (external link)
What you say reflects what many of us do. But it is ironic, because we are in a much better position to get great shots of the places close to home. And the locals in those European destinations are much more likely to be able to get great shots where they are.

If this was about getting great pictures, then the answer would be to buy a photo book of the location you are visiting. If it's about recording what you actually experienced while there, a P&S would suffice. But in fact for many of us it's about using our gear. We want to use the gear that we have acquired and treasure.

I don't know about all that, everyone has a different perspective and different timing. I took this shot in Munich with my 20D and it remains one of my favorites and my friends in Munich (a couple of which are photographers) love the shot as well.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8390/8491909112_50eea10b8e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dWpf​J5  (external link) Storm in Munich (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

I do agree that bringing all of your best gear for a family vacation is a bit excessive though. I usually bring a fair amount of gear with me on vacation, but that's because it's only me and my girlfriend and we're always in one hotel for a week long so I can leave most of it in the room and only take what I need that day/moment.

We do plan on going to Germany sometime next year since my friend is PCSing there with the Army this year and when I go I only intend on bringing my mirrorless camera and a couple of lenses (I should have an a7S by then) because to me it's more important to be light and unobtrusive when you're out and about with friends/family.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 23, 2014 11:33 |  #59

Archibald wrote in post #17288616 (external link)

That's kind of a strange take on a hobby.

You are correct that if my only goal was to collect the best photographs of people and places, my logical course of action would be to purchase the photographs.

But my goal with my photography hobby is to take the best pictures that I personally can with the limitations of my skill, vision and equipment. And this is more fun when I travel someplace new than while hanging around my own town.

But I don't take pictures while travelling just to "use the gear I have." That's a real cart before horse situation.

There's nothing painful about how I think of my hobby. I just want to make the best pictures I personally can make.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 23, 2014 12:37 |  #60

I was in Germany and Austria last year.

Make sure you have a fast lens for indoor photography. I used my 28 1.8 and my 18-135 non stm lens for my trip.

One of my pictures from Innsbruck. Others on my Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com …55056358@N04/15​153126031/ (external link)

sponsored links

17,645 views & 1 like for this thread
Gear selection for Europe trip
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.