Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,740 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2014 18:14 |  #571

Just wanted to see if there was an obvious drift. I know many people use MFA but I have never really towed the line on that one and usually pay the price. No one likes the rebel. I don't have anything sophisticated like Focal yet. My biggest beef to date is there were so many methods by so many people and so many focal length recommendations. Dot tune, etc. Tried them all except Focal.

First of I know light on the target is critical. I have found different results every time I retest it. I very carefully tested my 100L macro at different distances and all yielded different results.

I might be crazy but if spend $5000 on combined equipment I prefer it calibrated in a controlled environment where trained technicians measure it at multiple focal lengths. I have found that if this is done correctly even in two separate departments it may only need one or two ticks which is nothing. I am aware of lens and cam spec variation. I can see a big benefit for 3rd party lenses and saving a ton of money by doing it yourself.

I may get Focal but is is not fully automated as advertised for the 5D3 last I read. Not sure if it will be for the 7D2. Or the Michael Tapes thing. I already have Focus Tune but not the latest target and his new ruler system. It is less expensive and provides graph information not only the target but the ruler readings as well.

http://michaeltapesdes​ign.com/focustune.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,740 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2014 18:18 |  #572

gschlact wrote in post #17289200 (external link)
But aren't you claiming there is a problem?
Was this owl really the same distance as the crop section of the plane or previous bird example. If I recall correctly, I would guess you have many more pixels on this Owl than the other crops?

Again 0mfa may work, but not until you determine another MFA value isn't better statistically under the right/desired field distance and FL desired.

So am I supposed to MFA at 500 feet so I can capture plane shots? The bird crop is about 50%. I can do it at 100 of you like.

Image Editing OK

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,292 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2014 18:44 |  #573

MFA @ 50x the focal length of your lens; was originally what was recommended by one of the Canon articles back when MFA became a thing. It's always served me well.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,740 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2014 18:59 |  #574

I'm aware of that as well. I read Chuck's report on that a few years back. Focal and others I believe say 25. Liquidstone at one time reported he MFA'd a the minimal focusing distance. That was a few years back.

If anything I'd go with Canon but for my 300mm the distance is wider than my house and it -15 out there :D. Once I got it as far as I could which was a real pain and I got so tired of walking back and forth to the original Lens Align I was going to build a rig with servos that I could control remotely to make it parallel to the sensor. I even had the parts but never got around to it.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,740 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2014 19:11 |  #575

Since I'm a customer and have Focus Tune V3 and original Lens Align which will not work with Focus Tune I can get the Lens Align MK2 for a very good price. I'll try that first.

Image Editing OK

foxbodychris
250 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 23, 2014 19:25 |  #576

My replacement should be here this week and hope it's better. Anyone had better luck with their second body?

Canon 1D Mark III, 7D Mark II gripped, 70-200 2.8 IS II, manfrotto monopod, manfrotto tripod
FACEBOOK (external link)
FLICKR (external link)
WEBSITE (external link)

KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 23, 2014 20:25 |  #577

This was at 24mm ISO4000 @F2.8 | 1/125s

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is at 35mm ISO 100 @F8.0 | 1/125s

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Clearly there is something wrong... the ball head pic was handheld with a very thin DOF, the second pic had the same speed at a distance around 6-9 feet using a monopod. (The DOF of a 35mm @F8.0 around 6-9' of distance from the "object" is at least 36" so I expected everything to be in focus). I use the monopod because I was having issues so i wanted to take another variable out of the equation.

edit: both taken with the 24-70 & they are crop at 100% using MS Snipping tool not the best quality either.

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,042 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 23, 2014 20:30 |  #578

digital paradise wrote in post #17288476 (external link)
The landing gear etc look muddy to me. No detail. I have quite a few aviation shots and in fact I tested at that spot I think with my 50 or 40D as I was learning now to shoot moving objects.

I was in the printing business and when the colours were aligned we called that in register. If they were out we called it out register we called it out of register.

This is what it almost looks like to me. I mentioned earlier that when I open an image in DDP4 it goes out of register for a second. I can see red and yellow halos and then they get pulled in. Previous versions of DPP did not do that. I know this probably does not have anything to do with it but out of curiosity can someone open a few and have a look. Thanks.

I have noticed the out of register look with the CA adjustment in DPP4. You are not going nuts.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 23, 2014 20:45 |  #579

Something odd there, but to add my experience into the mix - personally, I shot a buncha test shots, and found (strange, and surprising to me) that some of the sharpest shots right out of the camera in RAW were at higher ISO ... got two plane shots at 1600 ISO so sharp they nearly fly off the page.

But have some (a few, not a lot) of low ISO shots (100 and 400) that are 'less sharp" -- not truly soft, but less sharp -- Still trying to figure it out ... might be lens too, as I've been jumping around with different lens, different settings -- with AF, without AF etc -- now, I'm looking at all of these and trying to figure out how sharp and how well this 7D2 shoots under my work conditions -- inside, on wall targets, it's tack sharp. But I'm more worried about in-field shooting conditions than what a 'wall target' tells me ... So, been putting that on the past few days too.

Got a lot of photos to evaluate -- so starting that tomorrow night.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,042 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 23, 2014 20:56 |  #580

monkey44 wrote in post #17289457 (external link)
Something odd there, but to add my experience into the mix - personally, I shot a buncha test shots, and found (strange, and surprising to me) that some of the sharpest shots right out of the camera in RAW were at higher ISO ... got two plane shots at 1600 ISO so sharp they nearly fly off the page.

But have some (a few, not a lot) of low ISO shots (100 and 400) that are 'less sharp" -- not truly soft, but less sharp -- Still trying to figure it out ... might be lens too, as I've been jumping around with different lens, different settings -- with AF, without AF etc -- now, I'm looking at all of these and trying to figure out how sharp and how well this 7D2 shoots under my work conditions -- inside, on wall targets, it's tack sharp. But I'm more worried about in-field shooting conditions than what a 'wall target' tells me ... So, been putting that on the past few days too.

Got a lot of photos to evaluate -- so starting that tomorrow night.

That is strange. You are going to find that the noise level is low enough that the ISO 1600 short are not going to be out of norm based on my experience. The noise really does clean up well also.

John
Equipment

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 23, 2014 21:05 |  #581

2n10 wrote in post #17289478 (external link)
That is strange. You are going to find that the noise level is low enough that the ISO 1600 short are not going to be out of norm based on my experience. The noise really does clean up well also.

Yes, I went from the 7D to the 7D2, and find it very much improved - a lot of guys here are saying "NO" to that (But I'm not exactly sure what they expect?)-- but my opinion only, this is one fine camera, and once I figure out all the 'abilities' will be very happy with it ...

Matter of fact, the difference between 7D and 7D2 on the 100-400 is very noticeable out near the 400 end -- even tho' I've had this 100-400 since 1999 ... and pulled a lot of light thru it over the years. So, I like the 7D2 for that reason alone.

It makes a fine companion to the 5DM3 -- and it's not lacking when compared to it, based on the differences we expect anyway between CF and FF of the same caliber.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,042 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 23, 2014 21:15 |  #582

monkey44 wrote in post #17289507 (external link)
Yes, I went from the 7D to the 7D2, and find it very much improved - a lot of guys here are saying "NO" to that (But I'm not exactly sure what they expect?)-- but my opinion only, this is one fine camera, and once I figure out all the 'abilities' will be very happy with it ...

Matter of fact, the difference between 7D and 7D2 on the 100-400 is very noticeable out near the 400 end -- even tho' I've had this 100-400 since 1999 ... and pulled a lot of light thru it over the years. So, I like the 7D2 for that reason alone.

It makes a fine companion to the 5DM3 -- and it's not lacking when compared to it, based on the differences we expect anyway between CF and FF of the same caliber.

I have moved from the 7D to 7D2 also. Well I am keeping the 7D as my second body. I agree once you get the abilities down and the needs of the camera you should be very happy. It does seem to be very sensitive to vibration. I could get good shots from my car with the engine running with my 7D but haven't even got close with the 7D2.

I feel my 100-400 is better with the 7D2 also.

John
Equipment

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,740 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2014 21:37 |  #583

2n10 wrote in post #17289528 (external link)
It does seem to be very sensitive to vibration.

That could be it. My shutter speeds were pretty high but you never know.

Image Editing OK

monkey44
724 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 23, 2014 21:39 |  #584

2n10 wrote in post #17289528 (external link)
I have moved from the 7D to 7D2 also. Well I am keeping the 7D as my second body. I agree once you get the abilities down and the needs of the camera you should be very happy. It does seem to be very sensitive to vibration. I could get good shots from my car with the engine running with my 7D but haven't even got close with the 7D2.

I feel my 100-400 is better with the 7D2 also.

Sold my 7D to pay for half the 7D2, but also have 5DM3 - so, really have no use for 7D anymore. I actually bought 7D because the 7D2 waited, and waited, and waited - and gave up. Then eight months later, out popped the 7D2. Had bought 7D refurbished, and it was like brand new. Shuttle count FOUR -- right FOUR !! And a great camera, sold it to a friend, so I got $$ and he got a good deal.

My g/f did not want the 7D - heavy and complex - she shoots with a 30D (my old one, excellent camera too - shot with it since 2007) but it's old and wearing out -- so, for Xmas bought her a 60D w/18-135 and it looks brand new too - I'm amazed at these refurbished, you can't tell the difference.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,740 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2014 21:44 |  #585

KinoC wrote in post #17289414 (external link)
This was at 24mm ISO4000 @F2.8 | 1/125s

Clearly there is something wrong... the ball head pic was handheld with a very thin DOF, the second pic had the same speed at a distance around 6-9 feet using a monopod. (The DOF of a 35mm @F8.0 around 6-9' of distance from the "object" is at least 36" so I expected everything to be in focus). I use the monopod because I was having issues so i wanted to take another variable out of the equation.

edit: both taken with the 24-70 & they are crop at 100% using MS Snipping tool not the best quality either.

Have you tried a comparison with both apertures being equal. One was 2.8 and the other 8. Starting to get into diffraction at f8?

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,286,518 views & 2,724 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.