Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1DX dynamic range

Epphoto
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 23, 2014 20:34 |  #1

Guys I just sold my 1DMK4, I'm getting ready to buy one more camera
I was thinking to get a 1DX
I will like the 7d mk II but it's a crop camera, I don't do much sport photography
And I already have a 5D mk III, I'm not looking to get a backup camera I'm looking to get camera I can use :)
I want to know how is the dynamic range on the 1DX and if worth the $$
As image quality
Thank you

Get ready for a photographic journey of discovery, incredible beauty,and culture come see the world through my lens
www.epphoto.net

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 23, 2014 20:58 |  #2

Dynamic range is not going to be significantly better than your 5D Mark III. You will be able to lift the shadows with less noise and banding though. If dynamic range is your primary concern, you might consider the Sony A7R with a metabones adapter. You will get a 36mp images with an exmor sensor that has the best dynamic range. You will also be able to use your canon lenses.

What do you shoot that needs higher dynamic range? Also, at what ISO? If high ISO, canon is best at dynamic range. If base ISO, then you need a Sony exmor sensor. So, it depends.

Jason

Epphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 23, 2014 21:09 |  #3

Www.epphoto.net (external link)
My website above to see what I shoot most
But I do lot of interior commercial shooting and some industrial

I have a friend he told me about the Sony A7R
I think I'm little sceard to move to other brand :)

jase1125 wrote in post #17289484 (external link)
Dynamic range is not going to be significantly better than your 5D Mark III. You will be able to lift the shadows with less noise and banding though. If dynamic range is your primary concern, you might consider the Sony A7R with a metabones adapter. You will get a 36mp images with an exmor sensor that has the best dynamic range. You will also be able to use your canon lenses.

What do you shoot that needs higher dynamic range? Also, at what ISO? If high ISO, canon is best at dynamic range. If base ISO, then you need a Sony exmor sensor. So, it depends.

Get ready for a photographic journey of discovery, incredible beauty,and culture come see the world through my lens
www.epphoto.net

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 24, 2014 01:10 |  #4

I dont know why you would drop that much $ for a sports camera if you're not going to shoot sports

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 24, 2014 01:59 |  #5

I just think that the 1Dx is a faster version of the 5D3. Unless the tables and chairs are doing backflips then I think the 1Dx is overkill.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2014 03:50 as a reply to  @ Paulstw's post |  #6

I agree. I do have the 1DX, but I try to capture action.
For the purpose of shooting interiors, get another 5D Mark III as a backup, if you need two cameras.

Anders

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2014 05:47 |  #7

You have a 7DM2 but don't shoot sports. You want to buy a 1DX which is an even better camera for sports. Said camera costs $5000-6000. Someone suggests you pick up a a7r which combined with the Metabones adapter will be around $2000 or so, you'll be able to use your existing Canon lenses and since admittedly you don't shoot sports, you won't be missing the slower AF.

Current Gear: Sony RX1RII

Epphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 24, 2014 06:11 |  #8

You can shoot anything you want with the 1DX
It's not only for sport photography
Lendscape photographers can use it,it's beter weather resistance then any other cameras out there
That's wht I'm asking about the IQ and the dinamic range
Pixels it's not everything

www.epphoto.net

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 24, 2014 06:13 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

If you are looking at a backup for shooting interiors and industrials, I suggest the 6d would be a good fit. It is much cheaper than the 1dx and arguably better image quality for indoor shooting.

JBlake
126 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 24, 2014 08:49 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #10

Looking at your website and seeing that you offer prints up to 40" x 60" in size, I think it is time to use a higher MP/DR sensor. Why would you be afraid to use a sensor from Sony or Nikon, they don't bite. They are tools, use them to your advantage.

Money does not seem to be an issue here, so consider one of these options.

1) Try the 36MP Sony, as suggested, with adapter along with say a Canon 17 and 24 TS-E lens combo; I have no idea what lens you use.

2) Maybe a Nikon D810 with the Nikon 14-24.

3) Ultimate setup; say a Pentax 645z with appropriate wide angle lens. If your budget is limited to the price of a 1DX, then option 3, is out.

You can always use the 5D3 for any action type shots that might arise.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 24, 2014 15:53 |  #11

Very non scientific, but when I moved from my 1D4 to a 1DX I found that I had significantly more exposure latitude and far fewer blown highlights. Additionally the 1DX resolves more detail than the 1D4 (despite the lower pixel density. This allows me to crop to an equivalent field of view (to the 1.3 crop sensor) and still have a better looking image.
Though it does look like overkill for your needs I won't try and put you off a 1DX as it is simply a stunning camera, even compared to the 1D4! Also I cannot see you using the 7D2/5D3 after using the 1DX.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,895 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 24, 2014 16:11 |  #12

I do not begrudge you going for the 1Dx, it's Canon's "ultimate" in many regards.

That said, it seems to me that you already have Canon's "ultimate" for what you shoot in the 5D3, and that if you are looking for more of that, then those that are suggesting the SONY Exmor are spot on.

Get the Nikon set up, or use the A7r and adapter with your Canon glass.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

3,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1DX dynamic range
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.