Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 20 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Sony a7 mk2

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,986 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 22, 2014 12:12 |  #61

Shadowblade wrote in post #17284889 (external link)
You lose the ability to focus to infinity, which makes it largely useless unless you're shooting macros.

Nikon's live view is just fine. The D810 is much better than the D800 in that regard.

smythie wrote in post #17284887 (external link)
Just to be clear, it's only A mount (and even then you need the appropriate adaptor, of the 4 options) and EF mount lenses which currently have AF capable lens mount adaptors.

That out of alignment is of little concern. There are very few viewfinders out there which show 100% of what the image sensor sees so a misalignment of less than 1% will not be noticed by anybody.

Only when you are talking noise at high ISO sensitivities and then only if you aren't pushing and pulling the raw image.

:lol:
For sublimesum's sake, you can't mount an adapted EF lens to an F mount (Nikon) body and retain infinity focus - the F mount flange length is longer than that on the EF mount

good to know. thanks :)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2014 18:39 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

Shadowblade wrote in post #17284213 (external link)
Or just make it capable of quickly focusing non-native lenses.

As a cutting-edge electronics company but rank amateurs when it comes to making lenses, that's probably the easiest and best option for Sony.

Have you seen Sony's roadmap for their E-mount lenses. Looks pretty complete. Don't forget you are comparing it against Canon which had the EOS mount for 30 years.

I personally think Sony has come a long way with the E-mount in just over a year.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2014 18:42 |  #63
bannedPermanent ban

Shadowblade wrote in post #17284250 (external link)
Yet Sony bodies can AF non-native lenses using adapters, and Sony has also patented Z-axis sensor movements for focusing by moving the sensor and for flange distance adjustments, which would be only useful for non-native sensors.

Sony is late to the party - almost everyone who will ever have a large collection of glass already has a large collection of either Canon-mount or Nikon-mount glass. Also, a lot of Sigma, Zeiss, Tamron and other useful third-party lenses aren't available in Sony A-mount or E-mount. It would be exceedingly difficult for them to get people to sell their collection and switch to Sony (losing thousands of dollars in the process) even if they were to bring out a new, comprehensive and optically-excellent lens collection.

But it is exactly the reason I got myself an A7R...because I could use all my existing Canon mount lenses on it. It cost me very little...no lenses, to get me a great camera for landscape photography.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2014 18:44 |  #64
bannedPermanent ban

Numenorean wrote in post #17284328 (external link)
Worthless feature.

80% of any camera is worthless...but it's a different 80% for everyone.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2014 18:50 |  #65
bannedPermanent ban

sublimesun wrote in post #17284819 (external link)
So if its pretty much the same sensor as Nikon 800 series then explain to me the advantage? "Did not get the a7 for it's size, but for its sensor instead" I am sorry if I am confused though I always thought the switch to mirrorless was to save weight.

I didn't switch, but supplemented my kit with the A7R for landscapes for it's amazing sensor. I didn't go with a Nikon as I could not use all my existing lenses. The smaller size and weight savings is sure a nice and welcome addition.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2014 18:58 |  #66
bannedPermanent ban

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17284946 (external link)
' were too busy protecting their dinosaurs!' HA good one. I just bought one of their dinosaurs-7Dii. I too dream of a day when mirrorless can accommodate 400mm+ lenses.

If you want a nice mirrorless telephoto system take a look at an Olympus 4/3 system with their amazing 300 2.8 lens. That's equivalent to a 600 2.8 lens on a full frame camera.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2014 19:04 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17286573 (external link)
OK, predict when the e-mount will break the 400mm barrier with native lenses.
One combo --though manual AF-- that has been a favorite in the past was a Nex-7 and the c400 5.6 simply due to weight. I do dream of the lightweight day when this is achieved....but probably when I'm in a wheelchair :(

Too specialized and a small market. The real beauty of a mirrorless system is their compact light size. Putting a 400mm kills all that. For every 400mm lens sold, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of wide to short tele zooms being sold. Sony is addressing this part of the market first.

I think the 16-35 Zeiss lens us stellar and will sell like hotcakes...much, much more than a 400mm lens.

If you want 400mm, stick with Canon.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 22, 2014 22:55 |  #68

Hogloff wrote in post #17287676 (external link)
Too specialized and a small market. The real beauty of a mirrorless system is their compact light size. Putting a 400mm kills all that. For every 400mm lens sold, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of wide to short tele zooms being sold. Sony is addressing this part of the market first.

I think the 16-35 Zeiss lens us stellar and will sell like hotcakes...much, much more than a 400mm lens.

If you want 400mm, stick with Canon.

Don't forget the lack of vibration-inducing mirror slap, the short flange distance that can accommodate any lens, the possibility of much shorter shutter lag (no mirror to move out of the way), the complete elimination of misalignment-induced AF errors through on-sensor phase detection...

Lighter weight is always good - eliminating the mirror, pentaprism and other SLR-related parts achieves this. But it's not the same as smaller length and width, which can reduce functionality. A full-frame, full-function mirrorless body the length and width of the D810, but without the thickness and the weight (easier tand less weight to carry, while retaining full functionality and ergonomics) would be fantastic.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,309 posts
Gallery: 1732 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 22, 2014 23:38 |  #69

Hogloff and Shadowblade thanks for the contributions.
400mm and Canon=me already there, just boxed up the 400 5.6, its gone; awaiting the 400 DO ii maybe this week.
Hogloff you rightly point out that hooking a 400mm onto a e-mount negates the weight advantage BUT doesn't that 7 pound 300 2.8 Olympus equal same with an OM-D ? And shame of you getting me even looking at that Olympus combo! :)....of course 600mm effective is nice.

Anyway, great discussion, please keep it going.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

tohara
417 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 23, 2014 00:13 |  #70

DTBaan wrote in post #17284352 (external link)
it is to some, but to some others it is useful and is welcomed.

what is the appeal if you don't mind me asking? Why don't you just take a random photo with your phone at each location and track your locations that way

500px (external link)
Sony A7r | Leica M6 Titanium | Ricoh GR1 | Nikon FM2 | Pink Lomo Sprocket Rocket
Zeiss 55mm f1.8 | Leica 35mm f2 Summicron ASPH | Polaroid Cool Cams (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 23, 2014 05:52 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

tohara wrote in post #17288085 (external link)
what is the appeal if you don't mind me asking? Why don't you just take a random photo with your phone at each location and track your locations that way

That would be a pain in the arse to match images to phone image...and once you do, then what. I think the GPS would be great if you out for say a three week photo shoot which takes you all across Arizona and Utah. I'd love to be able to display on a map where all my images were taken, and be able to organize them that way in Lightroom. Sure you can manually do this by using a phone, or a scratch pad...but the gps totally automates this for you.

One problem would be battery drain which is already an issue with EVF cameras.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 24, 2014 01:10 |  #72

Is that olly 300mm really 7lbs?

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,309 posts
Gallery: 1732 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 24, 2014 01:22 |  #73

^yeah 3 pounds (ish) more than the Canon 300 2.8.....and a dpreview scan shows quite a few complaints on the EM-1 EVF bleeding :(
Nah to Olympus and Pentax. I'm stuck in the Sony/Canon world....happily I might add, no reason to further complicate the storage areas of my life :)
BUT after much thought, when they do couple the AF of my dinky A6000 with the A7r then Sony gets more of my attention probably regardless of whether a long FL lens is out yet.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 24, 2014 04:06 |  #74

Hogloff wrote in post #17287669 (external link)
If you want a nice mirrorless telephoto system take a look at an Olympus 4/3 system with their amazing 300 2.8 lens. That's equivalent to a 600 2.8 lens on a full frame camera.

In term of speed yes, but in term of depth-of-field, the 300f/2.8 lens on a an Olympus 4/3 acts "like" a 600mm f/5.6...

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 24, 2014 06:04 |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

titi_67207 wrote in post #17289841 (external link)
In term of speed yes, but in term of depth-of-field, the 300f/2.8 lens on a an Olympus 4/3 acts "like" a 600mm f/5.6...

Titi

Actually it is a 600 f4 equivalent. Also don't forget that many people use a crop sensor with their 300mm to get extra reach so that 300 2.8 really is more like a 300 3.2 equivalent.

sponsored links

15,722 views & 1 like for this thread
New Sony a7 mk2
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.