Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing Huge

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 23, 2014 20:47 |  #1

I want to do a large print 78x55" Kind of like the wall mural sized images you can buy at ikea. The question is, where can I get a print made at such a large size? I plan to crop a large panorama so resolution of the image should not be a problem. The trick is finding someone who can print this large. I wouldn't mind building the frame myself if I could just get it printed on canvas, have it rolled up and shipped.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

sponsored links
davebreal
894 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 23, 2014 21:15 |  #2

This place says 40" x 60", maybe call to see if they can go bigger?

http://www.greatbigcan​vas.com …-to-art/prices-and-sizes/ (external link)

Dave
flickr  (external link)Twitter  (external link)Wordpress Blog (external link) YouTube (external link)
My Gear--> Facebook (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,996 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 24, 2014 06:29 |  #3

These guys are in Germany, Whitewall.com, (external link)but I believe that they ship to the US. They seem to offer sizes up to 72"×54" on canvas/textile. They are towards the top end on price, but the quality is excellent. I have the test pack they offer, and although a small sample (about 4" square) and unstretched its some of the nicest printing on fabric I have seen.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ThreeHounds
839 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 24, 2014 07:57 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #4

Try some sign shops locally. I used to be in that business. Had a 74" wide eco-solvent printer. Did murals, wallpaper, billboards and large canvas prints.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 24, 2014 10:01 |  #5

http://www.bigphotohel​p.com/ (external link)
I've used them for smaller, weird sized pano shots.
They did a good job.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 24, 2014 10:48 |  #6

Do you specifically want canvas? I would think that makes a significant difference. I have had an equirectangular panorama printed 20 feet long by 8 feet high (top and bottom cropped slightly) on dye-sub fabric for an exhibit booth backdrop. The printer was in Massachusetts and was terrific.

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Bicycles/Engin-Cycles/Engin-Cycles-Philly-Bike-Expo/i-mtSsrZt/0/M/_MG_0050-Edit-M.jpg

kirk

Kirk
---

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Nov 24, 2014 10:49 |  #7

ArtisticHomeowner.com NYC

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

J ­ Michael
969 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 25, 2014 08:57 |  #8

Colorchrome Atlanta - they output to a lot of different media types and should be able to do just about any size you want.

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 27, 2014 18:34 |  #9

I own a sign so and we can print fill booked to about 53" x the length of the roll. If you get me the sign I can get you a quote if your interested

Later

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

J ­ Michael
969 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 28, 2014 10:17 |  #10

At the Gigapan workshop a few years ago there was a teacher from Hawaii who had some large panos they had done on vinyl at a sign shop. They looked pretty good.

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 28, 2014 11:03 |  #11

The technology is pretty impressive.

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickr (external link)

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 29, 2014 02:50 |  #12

This is the best advice. You can find local printers for advertisements all over town in any big city, and they'll usually give you better prices than someone who has to ship to you. Check in Atlanta if you're close.

ThreeHounds wrote in post #17290049 (external link)
Try some sign shops locally. I used to be in that business. Had a 74" wide eco-solvent printer. Did murals, wallpaper, billboards and large canvas prints.

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 29, 2014 05:19 |  #13

While true in some instances it doesn't always hold true. There are a few things to remember.
1. Vinyl isn't all created equal. if all you are looking at is price, you could be very disappointed down the road when the print starts to fail and starts to come off the wall. If you can find a shop that is using 3m hp you may pay a little more but you'll not have the headaches down the road.
2. If you compair prices with a shop in a big city with a shop in a more rural area that will have to ship it out sometimes it is still cheaper to have it shipped because of overhead and living costs.

Where this all doesn't exist is when you find a shop that is over extended and just needs to have their machine running all the time. They will print for pennies of profit, just to keep the machine making its payment, the problem using a place like this is if there is a problem with the print is usually a struggle to get them to replace it because their margins are so low.

We ship all over the US because we are in a small town and our cost of living is lower, I also have a BFA in Art. So topically I'm pottery good seeing colors.

I'm not saying to use me just know that because you find a local shop doesn't mean your getting the best job & price. Check around.

Gary Wiant

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 29, 2014 16:05 |  #14

What city are you in? I might use you too for panorama canvases or fine art.

Gary Wiant wrote in post #17299024 (external link)
While true in some instances it doesn't always hold true. There are a few things to remember.
1. Vinyl isn't all created equal. if all you are looking at is price, you could be very disappointed down the road when the print starts to fail and starts to come off the wall. If you can find a shop that is using 3m hp you may pay a little more but you'll not have the headaches down the road.
2. If you compair prices with a shop in a big city with a shop in a more rural area that will have to ship it out sometimes it is still cheaper to have it shipped because of overhead and living costs.

Where this all doesn't exist is when you find a shop that is over extended and just needs to have their machine running all the time. They will print for pennies of profit, just to keep the machine making its payment, the problem using a place like this is if there is a problem with the print is usually a struggle to get them to replace it because their margins are so low.

We ship all over the US because we are in a small town and our cost of living is lower, I also have a BFA in Art. So topically I'm pottery good seeing colors.

I'm not saying to use me just know that because you find a local shop doesn't mean your getting the best job & price. Check around.

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 29, 2014 21:07 |  #15

Shippenville, Pa

Gary Wiant

sponsored links

2,863 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing Huge
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.