Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommended settings to change for new 5DM3 user?

bellbound
26 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 24, 2014 15:26 |  #1

I'm new to the 5DM3, and somehow I have had it set to only shoot sRGB files. I now want to make sure I change this to Adobe RGB, and while I'm at it, I want to change any other settings that should be changed, one of which is to shoot both RAW and jpg.

1. Is it a default setting to shoot sRGB or did I somehow set it this way???
2. Can anyone recommend any other settings I should look into changing that could affect quality/performance?

Thank you.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,208 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 24, 2014 15:34 |  #2

If you are shooting raw then Adobe or Srgb don't matter. If you are shooting both why wouldn't you want srgb which is the color profile used by nearly all web uses?

Nethawked
802 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 24, 2014 20:34 |  #3

+1

If you only produce RAW images nothing but color temperature and tint, and metadata are preserved when importing to Lightroom or Photoshop. If you want you can get some of them back, like camera profiles, by applying presets during import. Canon DPP can read RAW header and preserves some in-camera settings but I'm not sure which ones. So, depending on your post-processing choices (or if you prefer jpeg output) the answer is 'it depends'. I recommend getting a book that's easier to read than the manual and read it all, you'll thank yourself. Until then there are hundreds of YouTube videos on the subject, so get the popcorn out!

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 25, 2014 03:18 as a reply to  @ Nethawked's post |  #4

Canon's Digital Photo Professional software will respect virtually every setting the camera had at the time of shooting, when processing RAW files. But since they are RAW, you can change almost everything to your taste after the fact.

Anders

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
14,101 posts
Gallery: 643 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 25, 2014 04:18 |  #5

Im a new 5DIII user too and one feature I love is the ability to set the DOF preview button to AI Servo mode. Now when im in single shot I can just press and hold the DOF preview button and I have got AI servo mode without having to go into the menus or settings. I also like the setting that allows independent focus points depending on the orientation. Once you enable that option in the menus it allows you to rotate the camera to portrait mode and already have a different point selected. Oh and one final one is back button focus. I remove the focus function from the shutter button in the menus and use the back button instead

α7R III | α9 II | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
16-35GM | 24GM | 35GM | 135GM | Zeiss Loxia 21 | Zeiss CY 35-70

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 25, 2014 04:49 |  #6

Changing the copyright info in the menu would be good to start. It's a pretty much turn on and go camera for the most part, and it's not until later that you realise what you want to change.

For me setting a ceiling on the Auto ISO limit helped by limiting it to 6400. You learn new stuff everytime you use it, but it's more about changing it to suit your genre rather than what anyone can advise with.

sponsored links

1,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommended settings to change for new 5DM3 user?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.