Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III vs 7D Mark II

OwensSi
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 24, 2014 19:12 |  #1

Right now, I’m in the market of getting rid of my 5D mark II and 1D mark II for 1 of these cameras.

Currently, I’m in school at RIT for photojournalism. I love shooting sports but I also love shooting events and stuff for the University News.

On one end, the 7D would be great for shooting all the sports. Then on the other end, how would it perform in a photojournalistic aspect?

The 5D Mark III is amazing in the photojournalistic aspect. But how does it perform in sports?

Seems like they’re the complete opposite!

I would appreciate some suggestions on what I should pull the trigger for?

Mike

sponsored links
kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 24, 2014 19:49 |  #2

5D3 is a great sports camera, I purchased a 7D2 for a 2nd body and returned it as the image quality just wasn't up to the standard I require. I am looking at used 1DmkIV's now instead.

Go to a store with a lens you would use on a 7D2 and test it out yourself. As far as performance it is really awesome, no problems there. Just high ISO, and also sharpness/detail I found lacking too much for me to keep it.

I am hoping a 1DIV would be better in those 2 areas, otherwise I will keep saving for a 1DX.

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

RussellJ
217 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 24, 2014 19:53 |  #3

Having owned a 5D3 and shooting sports for most of my paid work, I was to looking at the new 7D as a camera I should have in my bag. After testing it I loved it. The images are good and clean and the AF is fast, but instead I sold my 5D Mark III and picked up a 1D Mark IV....Now thats an amazing camera. If your thinking of the 7D Mark II and have extra cash then skip it and grab a 1D Mark IV. Great Low Light, AF system, plus its weather sealed and built like a tank with great battery life.

Outdoor Adventure Photographer
Darktide Photo - darktidephoto.com

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 24, 2014 19:56 |  #4

That was the issue I was concerned about. The reviews so far have stated that sometimes its slight OoF and other times its tack sharp. I will take out the 5D3 next time I shoot sports and test it for myself. It’s just hard not to use the schools 1D mark IV, which it’s a beast but thats a little too expensive for me. I wish I could afford the 1DX! That thing is insanely amazing.

So far, I’m leaning towards the 5D mark III.

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 24, 2014 19:57 |  #5

RussellJ wrote in post #17291370 (external link)
Having owned a 5D3 and shooting sports for most of my paid work, I was to looking at the new 7D as a camera I should have in my bag. After testing it I loved it. The images are good and clean and the AF is fast, but instead I sold my 5D Mark III and picked up a 1D Mark IV....Now thats an amazing camera. If your thinking of the 7D Mark II and have extra cash then skip it and grab a 1D Mark IV. Great Low Light, AF system, plus its weather sealed and built like a tank with great battery life.

Getting the 5D Mark III will be stretching my funds as is. Can’t afford the 1D Mark IV, unfortunately. =(

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 24, 2014 20:05 |  #6

A fair amount of pro sports shooters use a 5D3... the AF is going to handle 99% of what you can throw at it.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2014 20:09 |  #7

What lenses are you going to be pairing either of the bodies to?

Current Gear: Sony RX1RII

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 24, 2014 20:29 |  #8

TMaG82 wrote in post #17291406 (external link)
What lenses are you going to be pairing either of the bodies to?

Sounds like he's got access to the school equipment.. so my guess is 'all of them.'

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

iCameron
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by iCameron.

Nov 24, 2014 20:31 |  #9

Canon

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 24, 2014 20:35 |  #10

If I could only own 1 DSLR I would get a 5d3.

I use a 1D4 for anything sports. I actually thought about upgrading to a 1Dx but I have really grown accustomed to the 1D4 and like the FOV. For landscape/architecture I like a smaller camera and Full frame results.

Stuff

KinoC
524 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 24, 2014 21:30 |  #11

RussellJ wrote in post #17291370 (external link)

+1... 1D Mark IV is an awesome machine. Good luck

KC
1Dx |5D MII | 7D|16-35 MII|24-70 MII|70-200 MII

butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 24, 2014 21:37 as a reply to  @ KinoC's post |  #12

Another vote for the 1D4 it is my favorite camera ever. I love the FOV and this body is just so good! I wish canon did not kill the 1.3x crop sensor for me it is perfect! I have thought about adding a 7DII but so far I have not.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 24, 2014 22:16 |  #13

For photojournalism you want something that's going to be rock solid through almost anything. While I love the 5D3 I would be hesitant to use it in certain conditions. When I have to shoot outdoors in poor weather, its 1D3 for me all the way.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 25, 2014 03:06 |  #14

I will be keeping my 5D3 just because it's so versatile. I want to like the 7D2, but for a second body for paid sports work, I'll have no regrets at getting a 1DIV I bet. I've yet to meet another protog in sports, using the 7D2.

5D3 with a 17-40 on it and 1DIV with a 70-200 on it and you have a killer PJ combo right there.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 25, 2014 05:02 |  #15

I have a 7D 2 but I've been following the 1D IV conversations. It turns out, you can pick up a pretty decent 1D IV for the same price as the 7D 2 if you include the price for the grip. If not the same price... a few dollars difference.

I don't have buyer's regret..... but I will admit to wondering if I made the right choice. So far, I'm loving the 7D 2 but I haven't had the pleasure of using a Canon 1D body.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

6,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III vs 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.