Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Nov 2014 (Thursday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

panlight

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,965 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 20, 2014 11:47 |  #1

not my kickstarter but what do you guys think about this?!
https://www.kickstarte​r.com …-control-for-flash-and-ca (external link)

I see it as a gamechanger. Dont need a lighting assistant anymore! Kinda bulky looking though.

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 20, 2014 18:47 |  #2

I am in for 1 :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

bhursey
439 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 20, 2014 20:49 |  #3

kaitanium wrote in post #17283647 (external link)
not my kickstarter but what do you guys think about this?!
https://www.kickstarte​r.com …-control-for-flash-and-ca (external link)

I see it as a gamechanger. Dont need a lighting assistant anymore! Kinda bulky looking though.

Also looks like really no mention of using modifiers.

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 21, 2014 06:41 |  #4

bhursey wrote in post #17284527 (external link)

Good question... I am not using modifiers at events :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 21, 2014 07:27 |  #5

bhursey wrote in post #17284527 (external link)

2.2 pound max weight and that is centered over the cold shoe, i'm guessing all but the smallest modifiers hanging off the front of a flash would be too much.

Interesting product, would probably be more useful to me as a camera stand, but i don't have a small camera so . . .

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2014 10:31 |  #6

Yum Yum got to get me one

I AM SHOM

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 21, 2014 11:32 |  #7

Seems like a good idea although it looks a little fragile. Not sure how well it would hold up under usage especially with a full time photographer.

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Nov 21, 2014 12:16 |  #8

I have an acquaintance who has met the designer, the biggest question I have is related to workflow.

So I take an image, realize the spill is too great and want to adjust where the flash is pointed, I then have to pull out my phone, connect to the panlight, adjust it by 3 degrees, wait for stepper motor to adjust flash, take image, adjust, wait,

I just see it as being easier to tell someone to go move the flash, or me walk across the floor to adjust the light and move on, I just don't see a good way to keep a controller (phone or other) near me to move the "Panlight"

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

kaitanium
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,965 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 21, 2014 13:24 |  #9

Dave3222 wrote in post #17285382 (external link)
Seems like a good idea although it looks a little fragile. Not sure how well it would hold up under usage especially with a full time photographer.

the guy is a well know wedding photographer so i think hes probably put his test unit though its paces.

jmikolich wrote in post #17285442 (external link)
I have an acquaintance who has met the designer, the biggest question I have is related to workflow.

So I take an image, realize the spill is too great and want to adjust where the flash is pointed, I then have to pull out my phone, connect to the panlight, adjust it by 3 degrees, wait for stepper motor to adjust flash, take image, adjust, wait,

I just see it as being easier to tell someone to go move the flash, or me walk across the floor to adjust the light and move on, I just don't see a good way to keep a controller (phone or other) near me to move the "Panlight"

dont think you use a phone to connect. video shows a simple remote control. Sometimes you cant get to your flash easily. Ive been in many situations like that, especially at crowded receptions. This totally allows me to put a flash way in the corner and not have to worry about if I can get to it fast enough. But sure if yuo have the $ to hire a guy to move it, that be the best.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2014 13:50 |  #10

YUP YUP^^^^
If i have to walk 20 feet to move a flash, how many shots em i going to miss out on. Maybe down the line he will build a studio strobe version. Got to start somewhere and I think this is a great item, Alot cheaper then what I paid for my remote boom arm. ;)

I AM SHOM

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 21, 2014 14:07 |  #11

It is a PITA to get across a dance floor at times. A lot easier to use a remote. I can see shooting a first dance and moving the light as the couple moves across the floor. It worth a look IMO.

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Nov 21, 2014 18:43 |  #12

kaitanium wrote in post #17285577 (external link)
the guy is a well know wedding photographer so i think hes probably put his test unit though its paces.

My comment was about the construction of the device only. There's no mention of the materials or how it was constructed. On the panlight web page there is a picture showing a flashgun and trigger mounted, and it appears that the weight is causing the base to separate. Just an opinion, nothing more.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2014 18:55 |  #13

My issue would be batteries. It would suck to need to move it and have the batteries in the remote or panlight itself die on you. If you think you would miss a shot by having to physically walk over and move the light, how is it going to be when you have to walk over and dig out batteries from your bag and then go the panlight and change batteries.

This wouldn't be that useful for me so my input doesn't really matter but I try to avoid putting extra items in my bag that need more batteries.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 21, 2014 23:08 |  #14

the flying moose wrote in post #17286063 (external link)
My issue would be batteries. It would suck to need to move it and have the batteries in the remote or panlight itself die on you. If you think you would miss a shot by having to physically walk over and move the light, how is it going to be when you have to walk over and dig out batteries from your bag and then go the panlight and change batteries.

This wouldn't be that useful for me so my input doesn't really matter but I try to avoid putting extra items in my bag that need more batteries.

Since it runs off 4 aa batteries I can run it off the 360 lipo battery pack and I would never run out of power.

I AM SHOM

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 25, 2014 06:12 |  #15

Thanks for the post. I'm in.

sponsored links

3,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
panlight
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.