Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,989 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 25, 2014 14:27 |  #4441

xpfloyd wrote in post #17292636 (external link)
This guy here is absolutely killing it with the A7R and zeiss 55 - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/mkuehn1/ (external link)

He's also used Olympus and canon with equally good results but everything recent is the sony combo

dang... those are great. thanks for sharing his work.

sponsored links
DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,989 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 25, 2014 14:31 |  #4442

David Arbogast wrote in post #17292676 (external link)
I'll have to give that a watch when I get home. Things like that will help steer me when I choose my next body. I wonder, though, if a moving sensor might also be less prone for dust to lodge and stick. It's going to be interesting to see this thing develop - we'll no doubt learn a lot more about sensor maintenance as the a7 II starts to ship.

I'm even curious about wet clean. all I can see for tempt clean are rocket blower or soft brush.

good thing about sony/mirrorless is it doesn't spit oil like Nikon :lol:
http://youtu.be/CtbgyJ​giF0M?t=36s (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,821 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 25, 2014 14:48 as a reply to  @ DTBaan's post |  #4443

DTBaan wrote in post #17292546 (external link)
Gene, David.

Yeah.. looks like using gel stick on the icis can be tricky.. :confused:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=XBElKMY8xrk (external link)

David Arbogast wrote in post #17292676 (external link)
I'll have to give that a watch when I get home. Things like that will help steer me when I choose my next body. I wonder, though, if a moving sensor might also be less prone for dust to lodge and stick. It's going to be interesting to see this thing develop - we'll no doubt learn a lot more about sensor maintenance as the a7 II starts to ship.

The video shows the movement of the A7 II with the stabilization running so I wouldn't think it would be an issue when using a gel stick to clean the sensor. And since the built in sensor cleaning, like Canons, is ultrasonic vibration of the sensor, it's possible the movement of the sensor during stabilization would help in that regard too.

xpfloyd wrote in post #17292636 (external link)
This guy here is absolutely killing it with the A7R and zeiss 55 - https://www.flickr.com​/photos/mkuehn1/ (external link)

He's also used Olympus and canon with equally good results but everything recent is the sony combo

Eddie, I agree that he takes awesome portraits using the FE 55 f1.8 lens, thanks for sharing the link. I think I only noticed one image where I thought the bokeh looked a bit 'nervous'. I wonder what he uses for his flash set up.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,689 posts
Gallery: 591 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 25, 2014 15:36 |  #4444

I can't figure out his flash setup gene. It says flash off, did not fire on flickr but they all look flashed. I was trying to work out if it was all done with only a reflector then PP but I'm not sure.

Is there any way the flash can fire with it saying flash did not fire?

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85 | Tamron 28-75

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,921 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Nov 25, 2014 15:40 |  #4445

xpfloyd wrote in post #17292778 (external link)
I can't figure out his flash setup gene. It says flash off, did not fire on flickr but they all look flashed. I was trying to work out if it was all done with only a reflector then PP but I'm not sure.

Maybe the flash is not registering?

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,767 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2014 15:44 |  #4446

wow... all nice.... made me think of selling all my lenses but the 55mm when the A9 Pro arrives. :)

thanks for sharing.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,689 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 25, 2014 15:59 |  #4447

vinmunoz wrote in post #17292798 (external link)
wow... all nice.... made me think of selling all my lenses but the 55mm when the A9 Pro arrives. :)

thanks for sharing.

When I saw them it made me realise it's easy to get caught up in the gear at times

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,828 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2014 16:00 |  #4448

Well, i want to say something but don't take my saying as a fact, i am not good at portraits yet.

Looking at his photos i can imagine or guess few things:

1. most of his shots are at lower ISO and almost high shutter speed, even with f1.8[wide open] you need enough more lights, so i can tell you that he used flash or light source rather than natural light for sure, if not then he depends on this camera DR, i can have shoot portraits with A7R and underexposed 1 stop and can recover it and still have great amazing shot.

2. Look at eyes, some of them you can see there is a light source.

3. Those kind of shots i can say he was using an umbrella, because there are no much shadows on faces, and umbrellas spread the light that much.

4. You can have in EXIF that flash is off or didn't fire if you use off-flash, means you don't attach the flash on the camera, i use my studio lights and they always show flash off in exit.

5. You all praise that lens, Otus or Zeiss 55, so using it with A7R i can easily have great many portraits shots in different conditions.

6. He/she processed his photos good enough, you all know that it is difficult to have all the shots out of the camera perfect ready in different situations or lights, unless you use a light source that you control then it is a difficult slow photoshooot, i said difficult not impossible.

come on people, you are all smart enough to read the photos, read or look at those shots and the settings and you will see or guess if he was using a flash or not, maybe not in all shots, but sure most are, and some without flash could be good enough available lights but diffused by clouds.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,821 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 25, 2014 16:04 |  #4449

I think even with the Canon system, if you use off camera flash fired with triggers, the exif will say no flash even though flash is used. If I recall, I can fire my canon flashes using pocket wizards on the Sony but that has to be done in manual mode. I'll have to give that a try to verify whether remote flash using pocket wizards work on the a7r

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2014 16:05 |  #4450

navydoc wrote in post #17292715 (external link)
The video shows the movement of the A7 II with the stabilization running so I wouldn't think it would be an issue when using a gel stick to clean the sensor. And since the built in sensor cleaning, like Canons, is ultrasonic vibration of the sensor, it's possible the movement of the sensor during stabilization would help in that regard too.

OK, just had a peek at the video. Very cool! You're quite right, one would never be cleaning the sensor with the camera on. My main concern is regarding how sensitive the IBIS mechanism is - will it be easy to knock it out of alignment with a gel-stick or a wet-clean swab. Heck, if the current a7 sensors are so darn sensitive that you have to pick the right color gel-stick, how much more finicky will the IS-enabled sensors be?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,767 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2014 16:06 |  #4451

if he's not using some sort of artificial light, a reflector would be my guess. that's why you saw flash not fired in exif.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Tareq
17,828 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2014 16:07 |  #4452

For example this shot: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/mkuehn1/155650​38438/ (external link)

The settings says 1/1000 @iso100 with f1.8, sounds the light is very strong if it is only natural light, and if that is true then it should be harsh light on the face even using wide open, think about it.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 25, 2014 16:28 |  #4453

All the time.. I used flash on this for example, check the exif.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8067/8217621014_4f47575764.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dwas​qW  (external link) Brooke (external link) by Βrandon (external link), on Flickr

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,689 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 25, 2014 16:34 |  #4454

Thanks Brandon, that answers that then.

On his facebook page he posted a shot today And I asked if it was a reflector only and he just replied saying yes so I wonder if the majority are reflector only with some flashed with exif saying not flashed like Brandon's shot above.

I really need to buy a reflector...

Tareq
17,828 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2014 16:37 |  #4455

So are people struggling with having good light for portraits outdoors? Oh my, with all those new gear every ear and still people have difficult time outdoors?

To me, i did few times shoot portraits outdoors and indoors, what i find out is, i can always get better results outdoors and easier too, indoor i keep always have problem to have good light because of available light and how to use external or artificial lights.

Also, the key for me outdoor is how i can mix or combine my artificial light with the natural light, once i do that properly then i can shoot any portrait outdoor.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,269,726 views & 1,488 likes for this thread
Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.