Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Nov 2014 (Tuesday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Set up advice please

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 25, 2014 18:33 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I will be having a massive photo shoot for yearbooks starting next week and I wanted a different approach for this school year's senior's photos (yearbook). For the past years, I did a redundant set ups and that is 2 softboxes 45 deg infront of the subject and one for hairlight only. This time I'd like to try a different set up for my lightings. I will include my 430ex II in the set up.

My idea is to retain the old set up and add the speedlight for the background, or maybe give me suggestions on this one (will be appreciated). It will also be great if you post some samples too for the set up you have suggested but that will depend on you of course. I already checked the thread for multiple lighting set ups but I think the gears being used in there are way beyond my gadgets.

The quantity of senior students is about a thousand and have to finish them all by January next year. Hope you can help me on this one. :)

Here is the gear list: 70D, 24-105L, sigma 50 1.4, ND filters (8 and 64), 3 150W studio strobes, 2 50x70 softboxes, 1 reflective silver umbrella, shoot through umbrella, YN rf triggers and the back drop as well.

Thank you in advance.:)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,210 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2014 18:43 |  #2

Instead of lights at 45 degree angles consider moving your fill light to the camera axis.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 25, 2014 19:24 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #17293087 (external link)
Instead of lights at 45 degree angles consider moving your fill light to the camera axis.

You mean placing it behind me?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,210 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2014 19:37 |  #4

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17293145 (external link)
You mean placing it behind me?

Behind and slightly above.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,767 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 26, 2014 00:22 |  #5

I'd keep it simple. That is how I shoot a photo booth. I use a shoot through umbrella centred, above me and slightly angled down. I place a white reflector on the floor. Not necessary but some light reflects up off it it and helps eliminate a bit of shadows. A piece of white cardboard will do. Mind I shoot those in very dark venues and the flash is the only light source.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/_M​G_8934.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tacoman1423
155 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 26, 2014 01:04 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #6

This is a Two light setup.

Subject about 8ft from backdrop
Camera Right 320ws @1/2 in a 48" octabox
Hairlight Camera Left and behind 180ws 24"x30" softbox
Large reflector camera left front

After some reflection, I realized that I should of put the hair light higher and light the backdrop for a light more omph.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7569/15696000467_f8d78588c5_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pV17​6H  (external link) Jayem Mae (external link) by MAverion Photography (external link), on Flickr

Averion Photography (external link)
FLICKR (external link)

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 26, 2014 03:31 |  #7

Thanks for the suggestions guys... Allow me to post a photo taken a year ago. Just to show how I deal with my lights. Please disregard the editing. The background is composite and never mind the logo too. It's the school director's idea to place it on their photos.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7497/15881741632_9b4a344611_c.jpg

Now, key and fill are in 45 degrees angle and hairlight is above behind the subject to her left.

I really want to improve on this because I'll not be doing the "change background" thing anymore due to long editing process but I would like to attain that effect (background light). Are my lights sufficient?

EDIT: The subject looks flat to me and want to improve on this as well.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 26, 2014 04:13 |  #8

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17293722 (external link)
EDIT: The subject looks flat to me and want to improve on this as well.

That's totally because of the equal lights placed 45° left and right from the camera. What you've been doing is precisely what you'd want to do when photographing a painting or something like that which requires flat even lighting. It's definitely not ideal for portraits.

Experiment with the lighting concepts that folks have been recommending to come up with something you can work with.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 26, 2014 14:09 |  #9

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17293074 (external link)
Hi everyone,

I will be having a massive photo shoot for yearbooks starting next week and I wanted a different approach for this school year's senior's photos (yearbook). For the past years, I did a redundant set ups and that is 2 softboxes 45 deg infront of the subject and one for hairlight only. This time I'd like to try a different set up for my lightings. I will include my 430ex II in the set up.

My idea is to retain the old set up and add the speedlight for the background, or maybe give me suggestions on this one (will be appreciated). It will also be great if you post some samples too for the set up you have suggested but that will depend on you of course. I already checked the thread for multiple lighting set ups but I think the gears being used in there are way beyond my gadgets.

The quantity of senior students is about a thousand and have to finish them all by January next year. Hope you can help me on this one. :)

Here is the gear list: 70D, 24-105L, sigma 50 1.4, ND filters (8 and 64), 3 150W studio strobes, 2 50x70 softboxes, 1 reflective silver umbrella, shoot through umbrella, YN rf triggers and the back drop as well.

Thank you in advance.:)

Consider purchasing Photo Light Pro, (external link) a powerful and versatile virtual studio appplication. The program allows a photographer to test a lighting setup and learn how it will work in the real world.

Jiggo0109
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 27, 2014 18:15 |  #10

SkipD wrote in post #17293748 (external link)
That's totally because of the equal lights placed 45° left and right from the camera. What you've been doing is precisely what you'd want to do when photographing a painting or something like that which requires flat even lighting. It's definitely not ideal for portraits.

Experiment with the lighting concepts that folks have been recommending to come up with something you can work with.

Thanks, I'll do that as soon as my new backdrop arrives.

@Tacoman: Your gears are bigger than mine, is it possible to attain that effect with my modifiers and lights?

sponsored links

1,869 views & 0 likes for this thread
Set up advice please
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.