Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 19:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark III vs 7D Mark II

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2014 14:28 |  #16

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17291857 (external link)
I have a 7D 2 but I've been following the 1D IV conversations. It turns out, you can pick up a pretty decent 1D IV for the same price as the 7D 2 if you include the price for the grip. If not the same price... a few dollars difference.

I don't have buyer's regret..... but I will admit to wondering if I made the right choice. So far, I'm loving the 7D 2 but I haven't had the pleasure of using a Canon 1D body.

Where might I ask? A new 7D2 goes for $1800US. I've seen beat up 1D4's go for $3500CAN.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,927 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 25, 2014 14:34 |  #17

5D3 is the best all around-er. Excellent AF for action, reasonable 6FPS, and it's tops for image quality and resolution.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 25, 2014 15:01 |  #18

I've shot with the 7dm2 as my primary and 5dm3 as my backup for a football game recently. I thought the 7dm2 was just fantastic sports camera. Purchased the 7dm2 because I needed a second body for sports anyway and I wasn't entirely convinced that 4fps more was going to result in a huge difference. However, after having shot the game, I definitely have a bit more respect for the 10fps on the 7dm2. It's no joke and came away very impressed.

I thought the AF was slightly snappier than the 5dm3 as well although I have no scientific proof of that. In general, I got about 70% keepers with the 7dm2 versus 40% keepers for the 5dm3 when it comes to the action shots so I had no regrets with my purchase especially for good price from the CPW deal.

Two caveats: The game I shot kicked off at noon so even though I kept the 7dm2 at auto ISO, it shot everything at ISO 100. Didn't have a chance to compare high ISO noise between the two cameras.

One other caveat is that all my sports images are web-use only so far and I don't have to print them out into a giant poster or anything like that so I don't pixel peep and compare noise and IQ.

With all that said, if you shoot more sports/action than not, I'd go with 7dm2. For $1599, I think it's a great value as a general DSLR and even better for sports/action. Otherwise, I'd go with 5dm3 if you can get a good deal on it. To be honest, I don't really think you can go wrong with either, I think you would be able to make both cameras work for you.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

OwensSi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,015 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 25, 2014 21:37 |  #19

TMaG82 wrote in post #17291406 (external link)
What lenses are you going to be pairing either of the bodies to?

Well currently yes, I have access to any and every body/lens canon has to offer except the 1DX(our school should be getting them soon).

Now that the 1D mark IV is now in my price range, I think I’m going to have to do some more researching.

I equally shoot around the same amount for the news and sports action. Having said that, I think I might have kicked the 7D to the curb because of the 1.6 crop. I think it will be too much for shooting for the news. The 1.3 crop from the 1D is more manageable.

Photojournalism and Sports Action, which would be best for having to shoot both?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 25, 2014 22:46 |  #20

OwensSi wrote in post #17293383 (external link)
Photojournalism and Sports Action, which would be best for having to shoot both?

1D4 hands down IMO. Bomb proof body and weather sealing for your photojournalism, wherever that takes you in the world. And 10fps with a slight crop for sports.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 26, 2014 01:56 |  #21

the flying moose wrote in post #17292683 (external link)
Where might I ask? A new 7D2 goes for $1800US. I've seen beat up 1D4's go for $3500CAN.

TeamSpeed mentioned they could be had for $2200. I checked eBay last night and found two selling for that price. They weren't in too bad of shape, based on the photographs and shutter count.

As you suggest, most of them are selling for $3500 and up.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

iCameron
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by iCameron.

Nov 26, 2014 05:30 |  #22

Canon

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2014 16:14 |  #23

Canon put out a document illustrating how the 1D X and 5D3 AF is better than the 7D2 since they have 7 double cross type AF sensors where the 7D2 has only one even though the 7D2 has all cross type AF sensors.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Nov 26, 2014 19:01 |  #24

^^^ interesting info

- i have both cameras and i'm thinking i'm starting to agree (doing a lot of experimenting lately using AI Servo settings and ISO 3200)
- the 7D2 wins on FPS and buffer but I think the 5D3 might wins in other ways because of those double cross type points
- but in the end, it comes down to a big depends on where you are aiming, and a bunch of other stuff like your memory flash speed at 1066x on a 7D2 makes a difference, your AI Servo Settings, how much light there is (5D is better in lower light),etc, etc, etc, etc
- it really depends
- the 5D's sensor is bigger and captures more light and once you start digging at iso 3200 you can see it - but the 7D2 cleans up extremely well using Noise Reduction so it is kind of cheating in a way

i find myself going back to the 5D now for image quality but the 7D2 and its FPS its big buffer and the ability to Auto ISO and Exposure Comp at the same time is great - but the batter life isn't nearly as good

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 26, 2014 21:21 |  #25

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17291857 (external link)
I have a 7D 2 but I've been following the 1D IV conversations. It turns out, you can pick up a pretty decent 1D IV for the same price as the 7D 2 if you include the price for the grip. If not the same price... a few dollars difference.

I don't have buyer's regret..... but I will admit to wondering if I made the right choice. So far, I'm loving the 7D 2 but I haven't had the pleasure of using a Canon 1D body.

SAME PRICE AS A 7Dm2?! Ohh I'd cry if I sold it for that much. I'm hoping I can eventually trade it off for a 5Dm3, or sell the thing for 2500 and put another 2500 down for a 1Dx!

In a second I'm just going to buy a used 5Dm3 and call it even! lol and I have to agree with the other guy.

5Dm3 if anything!

www.aaronbratkovics.co​m

sponsored links

5,545 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark III vs 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.