Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D II vs 1D IV?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,992 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 26, 2014 13:26 |  #16

adamo99 wrote in post #17294003 (external link)
It's called progress. Canon no longer manufactures the original 1D either. Does that mean they don't like money?

The current flagship body is the 1Dx. Looking at the SRP of that body, I'd say they are quite fond of money.

It has nothing to do with model numbers, the question is more about why Canon canceled the APS-H format.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 26, 2014 13:27 |  #17

adamo99 wrote in post #17294003 (external link)
It's called progress. Canon no longer manufactures the original 1D either. Does that mean they don't like money?

The current flagship body is the 1Dx. Looking at the SRP of that body, I'd say they are quite fond of money.

Not quite what I was referring too. The APS-H sensor is still very popular and many people would be lining up for a new version of the 1div.

Gear List

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 26, 2014 13:51 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17294556 (external link)
It has nothing to do with model numbers, the question is more about why Canon canceled the APS-H format.

For the same reason auto manufacturers share parts across multiple platforms- common parts across multiple platforms reduces R&D and manufacturing costs.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 26, 2014 14:54 |  #19

I noticed that the 1DIV used prices haven't dropped much. Talk on the issue seems to centre on the fact that not many pros have in fact traded their 1DIV's for a 7D2.

ruhikant
564 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 26, 2014 16:26 |  #20

It all depends on your main subject of interest. After more than 200,000 frames, I have sold mine in favor of 5D3 ( I mostly shoot birds).
We all know many great points but I will add a few negative points of 1D4 :
- there is no real wide angle lens made for 1.3 crop sensor ( whereas 1.6 cropper has dedicated ultra wide lenses)
- low light focusing is not very good (compared with 6D, 7D2, 5D3 and IDx)
- Mirror slap is quite strong, so, high shutter speed is needed to get sharp images.
-AF speed slows down quite a bit when teleconverter is added to canon big lenses ( 7D2, 5D3 and IdX response much faster in this regard).
- I found it very difficult to get good feather details beyond ISO 2000 in low light situation( I am not talking about high ISO in good light).
I would suggest to wait for sometime on 7D2 to see if there is a real systemic focus issues or I would recommend 6D instead, for the best image quality in a low budget camera.

1Dx, 5DsR, 7D2, Ef 500/4 II IS, Ef70-200/2.8 IS II , 24-70/2.8L, 16-35/2.8L and others ( http://ruhikant.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)).

zsd101
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 26, 2014 17:25 |  #21

I've been following the threads here on POTN regarding the 7DII. Big Country, especially has had some real issues regarding his. I ran a 1DIIn for a LONG time, and about 2 weeks ago, got a 1DIV. I don't shoot birds, but I do shoot a LOT of grade and highschool indoor sports. I also shoot available light pics of my son. This camera is amazing. Indoor games shot at ISO 12800 are better than my 1DIIn's images at ISO3200. I seldom run shutter speeds lower than 1/1000 of a second, unless shooting pics of my son (who HATES to have his photo taken), but even when I put on my 50mm f/1.4, it runs like a Swiss watch. I think this camera is great for what I want to shoot, but I also don't shoot a lot of what others here do. I've used it in limited aspects of landscape photography, and in that role it with my 24-70 f/2.8 and it worked fine. I hope the issues with the 7DII work them selves out, and I cannot really understand why Canon stopped making this line; and NO, the 1Dx is not a camera I want, (not that I would be able to afford one anyways). I've always liked the 1.3 cropped sensor, but that may have been just me. In any event, I was able to find a great, albeit used, one on ebay for $1800 delivered to my door. Given that price point, AND from what I'd been reading about the 7DII, I chose the 1DIV, and haven't regretted my decision in the least. I still have my 1DIIn but am constantly being surprised by the 1DIV. Good luck in your decision. Happy Thanksgiving to all! :D

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 27, 2014 01:50 as a reply to  @ zsd101's post |  #22

I think Canon have seen that a lot of photographers using the top-of-the-line cameras have found that they "must" have a 24*36 mm sensor. Thus when they want to combine that with speed, they were forced to go the D4 (now D4s) way.

The 1DX is Canon's counter offensive to stem that tide.

Anders

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2014 02:25 |  #23

A camera choice needs to fill a need you have where another camera doesn't. There's so much conflicting advice surrounding this subject that it just throws many folk into a spin.

For my own requirements, I don't see many 1.6x cameras at the sidelines in pro football/soccer. It's all flagship canon or nikon. For those like me who can't afford a 1Dx to pair up with my 5D3 I have to think about simple things. Having owned a 1D3 & 7D before I am kind of bias towards a 1DIV.

It's purely based on the real world usage that I see week in week out. Not many are bothered about the 7D2 or really think it's going to make a different to what they do already and some even argue that with it being 1.6x, that sensor is just going to produce lesser quality pics than bigger sensors. It's really that simple for me too.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,992 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 27, 2014 06:47 |  #24

I shoot sports and have seen several shooters couple their 1d series with a 7d, at least in pro basketball. Other high profile sports shooters have stated they will use the 7d2 in their craft as well. There isn't much the 1d4 adds these days. It does have a few perks like better iso and longer battery life, but when you crop from a 1d4 and resize as compared to the 7d2 output, the results do start to come together a bit.

It really comes down to price at this point.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2014 07:11 |  #25

I just have to send 2Mb images over ftp asap so I guess anything should work for me lol

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 27, 2014 08:07 |  #26

I've seen posts either here or elsewhere by 1DIV users who have stated that the 7DII AF system is clearly superior to the 1DIV's. Like much on the Internet, this is anecdotal and subjective, but might be worth looking into.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,841 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 27, 2014 09:42 |  #27

ruhikant wrote in post #17294867 (external link)
It all depends on your main subject of interest. After more than 200,000 frames, I have sold mine in favor of 5D3 ( I mostly shoot birds).
We all know many great points but I will add a few negative points of 1D4 :
- there is no real wide angle lens made for 1.3 crop sensor ( whereas 1.6 cropper has dedicated ultra wide lenses)
- low light focusing is not very good (compared with 6D, 7D2, 5D3 and IDx)
- Mirror slap is quite strong, so, high shutter speed is needed to get sharp images.
-AF speed slows down quite a bit when teleconverter is added to canon big lenses ( 7D2, 5D3 and IdX response much faster in this regard).
- I found it very difficult to get good feather details beyond ISO 2000 in low light situation( I am not talking about high ISO in good light).
I would suggest to wait for sometime on 7D2 to see if there is a real systemic focus issues or I would recommend 6D instead, for the best image quality in a low budget camera.

Not true on the wide angle. A tokina 11-16 works awesome from 14-16 MM.....but i get your point..nothing dedicated to it... have to out think canon, Plus you can take off the bracket and modify a 10-22 to work as well,, very easy to do.. you tube videos available.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

kobeson
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 27, 2014 17:05 |  #28

I am close to pulling the trigger on a 1DIV off eBay, for the same price as a 7D2 with grip and it has done under 15k clicks. This is the page that had me convinced: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/CO​MPS01.HTM (external link)

I did comparisons between 5D3, 7D2 and 1DIV, and the problems I had with the 7D2 were well illustrated here, and from what I see the mk IV sits between the cameras in terms of noise and detail.

7D2 didn't quite do the job I require for paid work, and even thought the 1DIV is probably not great above 6400 ISO, I can see that I will be able to use it at 6400 and know I am getting good detail and noise I can work with.

1Dx | 5D III | 1D IV | 8-15 | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 400L II | 1.4x III | Σ85 | 100L | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT
website  (external link)facebook (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 27, 2014 18:43 |  #29

stsva wrote in post #17295855 (external link)
I've seen posts either here or elsewhere by 1DIV users who have stated that the 7DII AF system is clearly superior to the 1DIV's. Like much on the Internet, this is anecdotal and subjective, but might be worth looking into.

Anecdotal - sorry!
Last week I was shooting alongside a pro photographer and Canon tester. We were shooting BIF and having a chat in the intervals. Whilst he liked the 7D2, he was sending it back to Canon. He rated the 7D2 very highly, at it's price, but stated (quite unequivocally) that he found the 1D4 better in ISO, AF and generally a better all round camera.
This was not to decry the 7D2 - of the 1.6/1.5 crop cameras that he had used he thought it was an excellent piece of kit but still felt that the 1D4 was a better option.
As I said this is anecdotal/secondhand so take it for what it's worth! I did have a little play with his 7D2 and I rather liked it.
The one thing I can say with certainty is that he ran out of ISO with an F4 lens (Canon 200-400 F4 L IS) wide open whilst I was quite happy at F8 and 1/1000 sec on my Canon 800mm. True I was using a 1DX but it does illustrate the limitations of densely packed small sensors. Now if the 7D2 was about 12MP I think I would be joining the queue.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2014 04:33 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #30

As said a gazillion times before: All else being equal (and it would be, if they were designed today, both of them), then the sensor with more pixels always has an advantage.

Anders

sponsored links

9,828 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D II vs 1D IV?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.