Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Nov 2014 (Saturday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX just shuts down

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 23, 2014 11:02 |  #16

To Lightrae and the OP, have you tried multiple batteries?

sponsored links
BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 23, 2014 11:08 |  #17

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17288611 (external link)
Anytime you update firmware on any device you should insure to the best of your ability that power can't be temporarily cut off. If a battery were to die, or the device spontaneously shut off during a firmware flash the firmware could be corrupted beyond repair.

100% agree with this, though it should be common sense.. I know, you're thinking what are the chances of the camera deciding to shut itself off in the 2-3 minutes it can take to update firmware.. I had it happen to me with a motherboard. I thought my power supply was dying but wanted to update the motherboard firmware to eliminate that being an issue.. the power supply turned itself off when I was ~ 40% through upgrading the firmware on the motherboard.. completely hosed it. Semi-functional PC -> paperweight in all of 20 seconds.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 23, 2014 11:10 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17288611 (external link)
Anytime you update firmware on any device you should insure to the best of your ability that power can't be temporarily cut off. If a battery were to die, or the device spontaneously shut off during a firmware flash the firmware could be corrupted beyond repair.

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17288622 (external link)
Not sure why I have to "substantiate my claim" but it is on page one of the firmware update procedure.

You are quite correct, sir. I forgot that a power interruption during a firmware upgrade can brick a camera. I totally agree with your view of the situation.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 23, 2014 11:12 |  #19

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17288646 (external link)
You are quite correct, sir. I forgot that a power interruption during a firmware upgrade can brick a camera. I totally agree with your view of the situation.

I only stress it because I have done it, not to a camera and I suspected going in it could happen. Got a new computer out of the deal.

aligater
Goldmember
1,713 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 23, 2014 11:28 |  #20

Same problem hear, fault found to be with the "PCB ASS'Y FP P/N CG2-3143-000" this has been replaced and cost me £220. Apparently in the USA its covered under warranty recall as it is a known fault , in the UK it is not. I am awaiting on Canon UK customer / legal dept for a response to my complaint.

Link to another post on the same topic https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=16836407

CarLton.

LIGHTRAE
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 23, 2014 12:36 as a reply to  @ post 17288622 |  #21

I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem is solved, but the cause is still a mystery.
I realized that many shutdowns, and maybe all of them, occurred when the Auto Power Off was set at 1 minute.
I re-set to 2 minutes and saw no failure with 20+ Auto Shut-downs.
I then reverted to the 1 minute auto shut-down and after about 50 auto shut-downs there hasn't been a failure.
Will the fault return? What caused it? I may never know or maybe I'll be scratching my head again but for now the problem seems to be gone.

Ralph Eldridge
http://pbase.com/light​rae (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 23, 2014 12:39 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Does it ever do it if you have Auto Power Off set to OFF?

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

LIGHTRAE
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 23, 2014 12:57 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #23

I never got that far. I was working my way through the different time durations when it started working correctly.

P.S. According to the original post by conradebner , turning off that feature cured his problem. "Finally, I turned off the the battery saver option and it stayed on......"

Ralph Eldridge

Conradebner
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 23, 2014 15:29 |  #24

Sorry, was out of town at a wedding! I have tried different batteries. I'm initially thought the battery was the issue the first time bc it was low. Threw another battery in and it happened again. I had auto power save set to 1 min also. I have since changed it to OFF, and have had no trouble since then. I shoot in Manuel, so I have not tried to replicate it in Av or Tv mode. Sometime, even after the battery change, it won't power on. That's what happened at the swim event, so I turned off the auto power down. I have another cheer event to photograph right after thanksgiving, so I can't send it in yet! Glad (not really) to see that others have had this experience. I may need to see the version I have, but I believe I have the latest firmware.

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II
Www.IE3photo.com (external link)

LIGHTRAE
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 23, 2014 16:10 as a reply to  @ Conradebner's post |  #25

I'd be really interested to know your firmware version because this issue only cropped up after Canon updated my camera to version 2.0.3.
I seemed to go away when I changed the Auto Power Down time from 1 minute but now it's back at both the 1 minute setting and the 2 minute setting.
I'll keep experimenting but your solution, turning it completely off, looks like the solution.

Ralph Eldridge

Conradebner
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 23, 2014 16:20 |  #26

Just checked my firmware, it's the newest. Trying to replicate the issue with the 2 min shutoff to see if it happens there or not!

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II
Www.IE3photo.com (external link)

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 23, 2014 23:05 |  #27

Question is your one of the first gen 1DX's how you send yours in for the the recall? Do a search on here and you can tell if yours is one of the first gen I have a 1DX that mine did not have to go in for the battery recall fixed.

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 24, 2014 01:54 |  #28

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17289687 (external link)
Question is your one of the first gen 1DX's how you send yours in for the the recall? Do a search on here and you can tell if yours is one of the first gen I have a 1DX that mine did not have to go in for the battery recall fixed.

Battery recall?

Are you sure there was a battery recall on the 1DX?

Canon made a marking in the battery compartment of the IDX which served as an indicator to determine whether or not a different recall (lubricant related issue in the shutter/mirror box assembly) was needed or not. By placing the marking in the battery compartment, the camera could be inspected for the change without disassembly.

Is this what you might be talking about?

Or is there another recall, for battery/power related issues?

Here is the essence of the first and only known (to me) service adjustment / production change issue for the 1Dx that I've ever read or heard of:

Canon Service Message to Dealers, originally issued mid 2013, UPDATED on 24 April 2014:

Phenomena

In some units of the models listed below, there is a possibility that the following phenomena may occur due to wear caused by insufficient lubrication within the camera’s driving mechanism.
1. AF searches but does not lock in on the subject.
(Caused by minute particles produced by wear mentioned above.)
2. The image shown in the viewfinder is “blurry” or “not steady”.
(Occurs if wear progresses.)

Potentially Affected Products:

The phenomena described above may occur in cameras whose first and sixth digits of the serial number are as set forth below.
Identification Procedure:
Serial Number: [XnnnnNnnnnnn]
EOS-1D X: “X” is “0 or 1” and “N” is “1-7”, the phenomena described above may occur.
EOS-1D C: “X” is “0” and “N” is “1”, the phenomena described above may occur.
“n” represents any digit.

NOTE: If the camera’s battery compartment contains one of the markings illustrated below, the camera is NOT affected by the phenomena described above even if the first and sixth digits of the serial number are of the patterns mentioned above.

IMAGE: http://www.canon.com.ph/canon2011/Portals/0/Products/Digital_Camera/EOS/EOS_1D_X/EOS1dX-markings.jpg

LIGHTRAE
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 24, 2014 04:02 as a reply to  @ Charles Brown's post |  #29

Checking for recall/service notices and known issues was my first move and I found nothing outstanding.
My camera was not in the serial number group which had potential problems.
Regardless, this camera was serviced in June, 2014. At that time it was "cleaned, checked meets canon standards, firmware updated."

Ralph Eldridge

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 27, 2014 23:54 |  #30

Ok I was just throwing that out... thought that might had mine your problem...

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links

10,371 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX just shuts down
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.