Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR for my 13 y.o. daughter

JVthePT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 27, 2014 14:00 |  #31

You fellas need to read. I bought her the SL1.
I thought about a used cheaper body but then thought about how I would've felt about getting a used Christmas present when I was 13.

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 28, 2014 23:34 |  #32

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17295049 (external link)
i'm thinking he understood the point - a re-furbed / used rebel camera

and yes there actually is a T2

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …_slr_cameras/eo​s_rebel_t2 (external link)

so as oppose to writing

T2 / T2i / T3 / T3i / T4i I shortened it

but yes, you are correct, there is no T4

Get real, like you are actually recommending an old cheap film rebel to this guy. :rolleyes:

CiaranC
24 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Dec 01, 2014 20:33 |  #33

I know the OP has already made his purchase (and wish his daughter all the best with her SL1) but for the sake of conversation I usually recommend the following to parents (I've spoken at a couple of photography workshops for highschoolers):

- A Used DSLR (usually I recommend the 40D to at least get them a feel for semi pro/pro bodies, or a T2i if video might be of interest)
- Canon 50mm 1.8 (again, to give them a feel for the creative possibilities of wider apertures and prime lenses)
- A zoom lens that fits the primary interest their child has shown

You can easily make out with spending less than $500 on used gear, closer to $375 if you watch Amazon's seller marketplace.

Don't get me wrong, a new DSLR with all the bells and whistles is by no means a bad thing, but I'm an old soul (despite being in my twenties still) and am of the school of thought that removing some of the techy distractions might help promote creativity over gear-dependence.

JVthePT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2014 05:25 |  #34

CiaranC wrote in post #17302649 (external link)
I know the OP has already made his purchase (and wish his daughter all the best with her SL1) but for the sake of conversation I usually recommend the following to parents (I've spoken at a couple of photography workshops for highschoolers):

- A Used DSLR (usually I recommend the 40D to at least get them a feel for semi pro/pro bodies, or a T2i if video might be of interest)
- Canon 50mm 1.8 (again, to give them a feel for the creative possibilities of wider apertures and prime lenses)

You can easily make out with spending less than $500 on used gear, closer to $375 if you watch Amazon's seller marketplace.

Don't get me wrong, a new DSLR with all the bells and whistles is by no means a bad thing, but I'm an old soul (despite being in my twenties still) and am of the school of thought that removing some of the techy distractions might help promote creativity over gear-dependence.

I don't disagree with your logic, but the facts are that a refurb T3i or SL1 are cheaper than you think, right around $350-$400, kids are immersed in techy distractions, that's a fact of their lives. They have an amazing propensity to absorb info in settings that some of us older folks might find extremely distracting.
My daughter already understands the basics of exposure, shoots primarily in manual mode and has a large assortment of lenses to borrow from dad. I could see buying used and limiting options if a kid were just saying, "I think I'd like to try photography."
Thanks for all the replies.

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

CiaranC
24 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by CiaranC.

Dec 02, 2014 06:20 |  #35

JVthePT wrote in post #17303819 (external link)
I don't disagree with your logic, but the facts are that a refurb T3i or SL1 are cheaper than you think, right around $350-$400, kids are immersed in techy distractions, that's a fact of their lives. They have an amazing propensity to absorb info in settings that some of us older folks might find extremely distracting.
My daughter already understands the basics of exposure, shoots primarily in manual mode and has a large assortment of lenses to borrow from dad. I could see buying used and limiting options if a kid were just saying, "I think I'd like to try photography."
Thanks for all the replies.

I agree with you - I'm in my late twenties so I'm definitely part of that super-techy generation that grew up with at least one computer in the home. I've just seen a lot of kids come through these workshops who are relying on the super expensive latest DSLR they got for Christmas to get them good pictures, and seem astounded when I tell them that incredible art (external link) has very little to do with your camera. Your daughter certainly is lucky - a shiny new DSLR and dad's lenses and guidance to boot!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,871 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 02, 2014 07:24 |  #36

CiaranC wrote in post #17302649 (external link)

With refurb prices where they are, and the fact that the equipment supplied is virtually new in both appearance and packaging, I can't support "used" for reasons already mentioned by the OP (13 year old female teenager). Starting new she will learn how to care for the equipment and know every ding it will get is her battle scar. Kids today all too often have little respect for care of devices, perhaps because they get a different phone every two years.

The only thing in a teenagers mind to beat "new" is a hand-me-down direct from dad.

LonelyBoy
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Dec 02, 2014 10:08 |  #37

CiaranC wrote in post #17303902 (external link)
I agree with you - I'm in my late twenties so I'm definitely part of that super-techy generation that grew up with at least one computer in the home. I've just seen a lot of kids come through these workshops who are relying on the super expensive latest DSLR they got for Christmas to get them good pictures, and seem astounded when I tell them that incredible art (external link) has very little to do with your camera. Your daughter certainly is lucky - a shiny new DSLR and dad's lenses and guidance to boot!

Bad equipment can be frustrating, though. I've had way more fun, and learned way more, in six weeks with the 7D and nifty fifty/ 40mm pancake I'm borrowing right now than I did for years with my old D40 and kit zoom I had for years. Being able to shoot in the evening or night indoors is a revelation, as well as the pixels to crop. What I think is amazing now is how good cheaper cameras are!

(My SL1 should arrive tomorrow.)

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/127590681@N03/ (external link)
I love a like, but feedback (including CC) is even better!

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 03, 2014 07:15 as a reply to  @ post 17295200 |  #38

Your granddaughter is saving you from your wife.;-)a

Your wife knows everything...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

JVthePT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2014 08:16 |  #39

flickserve wrote in post #17307802 (external link)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Huh??

flickr (external link)

Sin ­ City ­ Stan
99 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Dec 07, 2014 22:12 |  #40

flickserve wrote in post #17307802 (external link)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

LOL I suppose you're right, but it's working for me. :-)

Sin City Stan
Canon 6D & 5D3 EF24-70L 2.8 EF17-40L 4.0 EF70-300L 4.0 EF50 1.8
Yongnuo YN-560 II, 565 EX & Canon 430 EX
http://creationsbysinc​itystan.smugmug.com/ (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 08, 2014 01:43 |  #41
bannedPermanent ban

JVthePT wrote in post #17296362 (external link)
You fellas need to read. I bought her the SL1.
I thought about a used cheaper body but then thought about how I would've felt about getting a used Christmas present when I was 13.

Is she going to be using your lenses? A 70-200 2.8 on an SL1 will be unwieldy, at best. If she gets into photography, you'll be upgrading fairly soon. Keep your eye out for a good used 60D.

My daughter wanted to start shooting (pistols) when she was about 11. At 13, she could rack the slide on a full-size .45 with a 22-lb. spring. I gave her a Kimber Classic 1911. That was almost 20 years ago. She has never needed another gun. Buying kid-size is not always the best way out.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

RodS57
828 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 08, 2014 16:32 |  #42

Sounds like your daughter has a real interest in photography. Hopefully it will turn out to be a life long passion. Neither of my daughters has any interest in taking pictures. I remember I was 15 when I bought my first 35mm SLR and had dreams of taking great pictures. Forty odd years later and I am still dreaming of taking great pictures. :-D

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

sponsored links

6,067 views & 1 like for this thread
DSLR for my 13 y.o. daughter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.