Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Nov 2014 (Sunday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why I hate my 18-55..help

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 28, 2014 20:15 |  #76
bannedPermanent ban

Taken with the 55-250mm, racked out to 250mm, no cropping. The distance, as per the EXIF data is 8.2m, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/141/87/65/31568765.91172865.800.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/diamantstudios/3​1568765  (external link)
Brewer's Blackbird (external link) by Alveric (external link), on ipernity

And then, of course, there are some birds for which shorter focal lengths (100mm) are required :D:

IMAGE: http://cdn.ipernity.com/141/82/49/31568249.3f30a82d.800.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.ipernity.co​m/doc/diamantstudios/3​1568249  (external link)
Angry Duck (external link) par Alveric (external link), on ipernity

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Cananeer
146 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 29, 2014 04:34 |  #77

CheshireCat wrote in post #17296435 (external link)
With posts like "Read The &^%$#@ Manual", that is not surprising.
The fact is that the kit 18-55 lens is an abomination, and just upgrading to a 50/1.8 can make the difference.
Experimenting and learning on your own is more fun than reading &^%$#@ Manuals.

Yup I agree the lens isn't the greatest but it will work to get a decent pic with the right settings.
Experimenting and learning on your own - will be a better learning experience if one knows what the camera will do with whatever setting is used for the lens that's on at the time. Most beginners don't have much of a clue how a digital camera will respond to different settings. Thus reading the manual can sure help.
Oh and the 50 is on my next lens want list - sampled one and can't save up the money fast enough :)

Cananeer
146 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 29, 2014 05:18 |  #78

mamaof2 wrote in post #17297735 (external link)
I have no idea where you came up with me not wanting to learn?! I spend a lot of time on here posting questions and getting help to make myself better. I had a thread where I asked a question about a lens and in that thread we talked about how I did not like my 18-55. There were great people on there helping me and ask me to post a pic using that lens so they can help me out. To say I don't seem to want to learn is a joke! I am out there taking pics a lot and trying to make myself better/ I read a lot also and try and learn from others on here and other Fourms. I am new to this yet and posts like this make me want to stay off a forum. I just got back on cause I had a very nice person send me a PM on here trying to help me out. I decided to get back on this thread I started to see what others have posted. Many posted things that will help me improve and I am thankful for that. I am not thankful for a post like this cause you have no idea who I am and how much I am working on my making myself better!

Jessi
You have some great images on your flicker account (I didn't see this before) So I'd say you are "learning" without a doubt what this digital stuff is.
https://www.flickr.com …27211469@N03/14​901414130/ (external link)

I'm glad that the comment about reading the camera manual didn't scare you away. This is one of the first things all of the instructors I worked with and had classes with back in the 70s said to do. (just a bit before digital) Most of the pros I know today still put that same statement out there to the people they teach. Hang in there and try not to get to frustrated - it can be.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 29, 2014 13:19 |  #79

Consider getting a book on 35mm photography basics from your library. SLRs are not p&s cameras. You need to know what to make the camera do.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

12,969 views & 1 like for this thread
Why I hate my 18-55..help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.