Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 20:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One of several for a "business-use" headshot. What do you think?

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2014 20:26 |  #1

This is one of several shots I took for a client who needed the photos for business use. What do you think? I'll add more to the thread as I go.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links
quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2014 20:31 |  #2

A couple more.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 5 years ago by Brasher. (2 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2014 20:32 |  #3

That looks great. Were you standing on a step stool? You must have been pretty close to the client to take that shot with a 50! (In reference to the first picture)

For the others...not sure how to put this....but her bra is showing too much for a professional head shot. The first shot is great!

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2014 20:37 as a reply to  @ Brasher's post |  #4

No, I was on my own two feet on my tippie toes. The first one, mind you, is cropped to some extent. I cropped her bra out, because, as you mentioned, that was an issue. I'm wasn't quite sure how to get rid of it in post without it looking too weird/obvious.

Thanks!

jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 01, 2014 21:13 |  #5

The last two are better because of the background. In the future, don't have the subject square their shoulders to the camera. Nice lighting though.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ShadowKingpin
113 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by ShadowKingpin.

Dec 01, 2014 22:02 |  #6

I absolutely love the first two. All three are great, but I'm getting a professional look out of the first two. Great job!!!

Mind if you let us in on the lighting? Natural or artificial?

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2014 22:45 |  #7

jcolman wrote in post #17302833 (external link)
The last two are better because of the background. In the future, don't have the subject square their shoulders to the camera. Nice lighting though.

Could you elaborate on the second bit? What do you mean? I struggle with posing, so any tips would be wonderful! And thank you!!

ShadowKingpin wrote in post #17302991 (external link)
I absolutely love the first two. All three are great, but I'm getting a professional look out of the first two. Great job!!!

Mind if you let us in on the lighting? Natural or artificial?

Thank you Shadow!

The lighting is artificial. AB800 with a Vagabond Mini hanging off the light stand. The modifier is a 60" octabox.

TheManInTheMoon
58 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 02, 2014 00:40 as a reply to  @ quadwing's post |  #8

Using an ND filter or anything to get that soft light with the DOF? They look fantastic! :-)

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,432 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 02, 2014 00:44 |  #9

for a client who needed the photos for business use

These are not typical for business headshots. What type of business?

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 02, 2014 01:38 |  #10

TheManInTheMoon wrote in post #17303484 (external link)
Using an ND filter or anything to get that soft light with the DOF? They look fantastic! :-)

Yes! Lee filters 2 stop ND filter for these. :)

texkam wrote in post #17303494 (external link)
for a client who needed the photos for business use

These are not typical for business headshots. What type of business?

I'm not sure, hence the quotes in the thread. To be honest, I've never really done business portraits either. She seemed happy with them, so whatever. :P

nopiston
58 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 03, 2014 17:33 |  #11

Agreed with the squared shoulders. I do think her elbows back helped though. I tend to have them stand slightly angled and then turn their head towards me. It seems everyone is a little different. Some people have one side they prefer/favor over another, so I haven't landed on a single shot that works for all, but this is where I tend to start as it is an "inviting" angle that isn't too aggressive by having shoulders squared with the camera. This shot was indoors with natural light from large, front showroom windows.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24-105mm f/4L IS | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.4 | 2x III Extender
Feedback

dhog6s
53 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 03, 2014 23:43 |  #12

quadwing wrote in post #17303142 (external link)
Could you elaborate on the second bit? What do you mean? I struggle with posing, so any tips would be wonderful! And thank you!!

Try watching some of the youtube videos from B&H channel for posing tips. I learned a lot from those videos. :)

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 03, 2014 23:46 as a reply to  @ dhog6s's post |  #13

I shall! Is there any particular one you'd recommend?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,729 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2014 23:56 |  #14

Nice shots except the posing as noted. But the backgrounds scream the opposite of business. The outdoors setting say "I cant/wont pay for business headshots so I had my friend take these."

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,432 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 04, 2014 01:56 |  #15

When I think business shots I think of something more like this....

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

6,248 views & 6 likes for this thread
One of several for a "business-use" headshot. What do you think?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.