Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sorry to say but

this thread is locked
N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 01, 2014 23:44 |  #1

I hate this new format.... Please can we go back to the old forum.....

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links
vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 01, 2014 23:46 |  #2

Give it more time. Try stuff around. Its actually a very smart design if you try some of the features introduced with it.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,484 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 02, 2014 01:06 |  #3

I have to say that my first reaction was similar - since it takes a while to get used to the new format, buttons etc...
but I like the change in the placement of the photography based discussions first and the gear after it.

Is there a thread which lists the changes - even a summary?

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

NCHANT
Goldmember
3,009 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 02, 2014 02:49 |  #4

Not a big fan of the new changes, especially the animations when you reply to posts, why can't we just have a 'quick post' already there waiting to ave loading times.

The whole site has been over designed, needs a lot of simplifying to make it work better. Also the submit/cancel buttons have moved to an awful place, why move them when it was intuitive to keep them as they were – like EVERY other forum!

6D | 600D | A6000 | 10-22mm ƒ3.5-4.5 USM | 24-105mm ƒ4L USM | TM 35mm ƒ1.8 VC | 40mm ƒ2.8 STM | 50mm ƒ1.8 | 85mm ƒ1.8 | 135mm ƒ2L | 200mm ƒ2.8L II | 55-250 ƒ4.5-5.6 II | Sy 24mm ƒ1.4 | Sy XP 14mm ƒ2.4
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 02, 2014 03:50 |  #5

I have to agree I don't like it either, not so much AMASS more like A mess.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

Gimpinator
74 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 02, 2014 03:56 |  #6

Not a big fan either but I'm aware of the general disdain for something new so I'll try it out for awhile and see how it develops. No other choice really.

Dusty
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 02, 2014 04:29 |  #7

I'm finding it very hard to like this new format too.
Was looking forward to the upgrade but sorry to say - this is A-mess indeed (as far as I have seen).
I will give it time to learn and get used to it but from what I see it's a vast step backwards.
Sorry Pekka but was there a real need to change it so drastically?

It gives me info I don't need and things I need I can't see.
How do I change the post order so that I can read from bottom (first post) to top (last post) for example?
Why is there no member post count visible, I have to search for it?
Who cares what the post # is to the forum, what is the post # in the actual thread I'm reading?

I thank you for your hard work everyone but I don't enjoy using it anymore.
I really wish it stayed the way it was.

Dusty
:rolleyes:

Dusty
20Da, 7D MkII, 5DII,1DX, 16-35L , 24-105L , 85L , 135L , 200L f/2.8 , 300L f/2.8 , MP-E 65

Retired_97
224 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 02, 2014 05:56 |  #8

I don't care for it either.

MacA488
584 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 02, 2014 06:20 |  #9

Change is always a difficult thing. I have been an active member and moderator in forums since the early-mid 90s. Changes to forum structures over the years have been amazing and usually very beneficial. My first inclination was to not like this new upgrade. There is way too much "fluff". Stuff that I don't need to enjoy my experience here on POTN.....

However, the more I use it and look around, the more I have come to realize that most everything that I like to look at is still here. The buttons are different, but I can still do the same things that I did before. As I get use to the changes, I am finding some new things that I am willing to try. I kinda like the fact that I have more "control" over my experience here. You'll get used to it! If this 54 year old man can do it, I think you can to! 8-)

Mark
C&C welcome! I'm here to learn from the best!
Canon 5D MKIII || Sigma 10-20mm || Rokinon 18mm f2.8 || Canon 24-70mm f4L || Canon 70-200mm f4L IS || Canon 100-400L
My flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 02, 2014 06:23 |  #10

Agree. But I don't think POTN cares. In another thread about not liking the format, a mod closed the thread and linked to another.

But that other thread was 23 pages long and had almost 350 posts.

Anything posted to that thread will be lost among the flood. And IMHO is that may be what POTN wants... all complaints and discussions about the new design buried.

Website (external link) |

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 02, 2014 06:26 |  #11

This is absolutely horrible. Seriously, who on earth thought this would be a good idea?

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,389 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 02, 2014 06:41 |  #12

All change is difficult and so is this one. Things are done differently, buttons are in the wrong place, you can't find your familiar stuff. And so, without hesitation, you hate it. That's understandable. But how about you give yourself some time to learn where things are? Explore the new software and see what it can do. Don't dismiss it just because it's different from what you were used to. Explore, click on everything. Go to the FYEO page and read a bit. There are some user preference settings you can set there. Go to your Home Page and see what that is all about.

The new functionality is amazing. The Gear Browser, Gear reviews and how it all connects to images posted; in time POTN will offer a tremendous gear database where everything is connected and searchable. Then there are the galleries and the way your images are displayed, the light box view, the rescaling of images. And then you haven't even found any of the Easter eggs yet. Like how to have an image show its histogram...

And have you looked at SEARCH? Have you found the automated and personalised search functions yet? Did you notice how you now have a Search history so you can go back to something you looked up in the past?

To mention just a few things...

So don't dismiss it so easily. Give it time. And post as you normally would. A week from now it will be second nature. :)

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by groundloop. (3 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 06:53 |  #13

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17303942 (external link)

So don't dismiss it so easily. Give it time. And post as you normally would. A week from now it will be second nature. :)

I somewhat agree, but there are bound to be a few things that aren't as good as before. For instance (hopefully someone of importance will see this suggestion) I don't like that the only way to preview a post is to wait around until the "Preview and Save Draft" panel updates itself, it's more convenient to be able to press a "preview" button and immediately see what our post is going to look like. Also, while I haven't made a post on my slow laptop yet, I expect that the automatic updating feature of the "Preview & Save Draft" panel will be slow on a slower computer.

ALSO.... I miss being able to mouse over a thread title and seeing the first few sentences of the first post in that thread, that feature can be a real time-saver.

AND.... while I'm at it, I see that 'date posted' doesn't show up anymore. IMO that will be missed.

electricme
472 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 02, 2014 06:57 |  #14

Dont like it and I wasnt even on the old format that long... It is very cumbersome, the layout is weird and seems unorganized. I dont want to have to watch tutorials to figure out how to check updates on my follwed threads and to look at all of the new threads on the forums.

jedder1977
103 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 02, 2014 07:15 as a reply to  @ electricme's post |  #15

I am normally fine with change as I work in IT. I too am not really a fan of this new format. The old format just had a nice feel to it. It felt warm and comfortable. This new format just seems cold and scattered to me.

Jed Oles
Canon 6D/60D, Canon 70-200MM F/4 L, Canon 50mm F1.4, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

29,407 views & 77 likes for this thread
Sorry to say but
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.