Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fed up with the 70D! Need advice for my next camera.

akadmon
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by akadmon. (5 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2014 22:41 |  #1

I've had this camera for over a year, and and it's been nothing but trouble. My keeper rate for shots taken through the viewfinder is abysmally low, despite having spent countless days micro-adjusting my lenses. It's to the point that I shoot mostly using live view, which chews up battery and makes me look like a total dork/noob who is using a DSLR as though it were a $200 P&S! I'm glad I've kept my old trusty T1i. I bring both bodies with me always to cut down on lens swapping, and always put the less used lens on the 70D.

If this wasn't bad enough, the 70D's mode dial cap recently got unglued and is now lost. I called Canon to get a replacement, and was told they don't stock this 10 cent item. Instead, I have to purchase the entire top cover, which includes not only the mode dial, but the hot shoe and LCD as well, sells for something like $200, and requires professional installation. Ridiculous!

I ordered a mode dial cap for the 6D ($25) in hope that I will fit my 70D. By the looks of it, it just may. The number of "turns" is the same, and only a couple of the auto modes are different. As soon as I get the dial cap issue fixed, I'm selling this POS! I'm torn between the 6D and the 7D Mark II for my next body. My primary lenses (all Canon) are the 30mm f/1.4 L, 100mm f/2.8 L macro and the 10-22 mm UWA (which I will keep glued to the T1i). I just sold my 70-200 f/4 IS and have the new 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM on order. I'd love to get into a full frame body, but 6D's burst rate (only 4ps) and less sophisticated focusing algorithm (compared with the 7D MII) is a bit of a downer. Then again, I don't shoot sports or BIF very often, so perhaps I can toss these concerns aside in favor the larger sensor? Any advice?

100% Canon!!!

sponsored links
huntersdad
Goldmember
4,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2014 07:12 |  #2

What are trying to shoot that you're not getting focus? When I had the 70d, after MAing my lenses, it was spot on. I think there have been others though who have had some trouble.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Dec 02, 2014 08:05 |  #3

I think you should do the pros and cons of each body to know which one has more benefits for you. But as for your question, if getting a FF is no big deal for you 7d2 will be a great choice due to its features. The all cross 65 points and FPS of this unit are great. Frankly, I am also torn between the two but my guts is telling me to get the 7d2 over the 6d.

I have the 70d too and Canon was able to fix its issue, currently enjoying it. :-)

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 02, 2014 08:52 |  #4

akadmon wrote in post #17303134 (external link)
I've had this camera for over a year, and and it's been nothing but trouble. My keeper rate for shots taken through the viewfinder is abysmally low, despite having spent countless days micro-adjusting my lenses. It's to the point that I shoot mostly using live view, which chews up battery and makes me look like a total dork/noob who is using a DSLR as though it were a $200 P&S! I'm glad I've kept my old trusty T1i. I bring both bodies with me always to cut down on lens swapping, and always put the less used lens on the 70D.

If this wasn't bad enough, the 70D's mode dial cap recently got unglued and is now lost. I called Canon to get a replacement, and was told they don't stock this 10 cent item. Instead, I have to purchase the entire top cover, which includes not only the mode dial, but the hot shoe and LCD as well, sells for something like $200, and requires professional installation. Ridiculous!

I ordered a mode dial cap for the 6D ($25) in hope that I will fit my 70D. By the looks of it, it just may. The number of "turns" is the same, and only a couple of the auto modes are different. As soon as I get the dial cap issue fixed, I'm selling this POS! I'm torn between the 6D and the 7D Mark II for my next body. My primary lenses (all Canon) are the 30mm f/1.4 L, 100mm f/2.8 L macro and the 10-22 mm UWA (which I will keep glued to the T1i). I just sold my 70-200 f/4 IS and have the new 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM on order. I'd love to get into a full frame body, but 6D's burst rate (only 4ps) and less sophisticated focusing algorithm (compared with the 7D MII) is a bit of a downer. Then again, I don't shoot sports or BIF very often, so perhaps I can toss these concerns aside in favor the larger sensor? Any advice?

With the lens selection you have, and without you indicating your preferred genre I would say unquestionably the 6D is the camera you would appreciate most. The 6D has the best sensor (think 5DmkIII). The small number of AF points is of no real import For Landscape, Wildlife, or portraiture. Add to all that its fantastic low light capabilities(including AF) and you have a winner for the same or less than a 7DmkII. I own both a 6D, and a 7DmkI. I use them for different purposes, but the 6D gets the call 75% of the time for my landscapes and wildlife/nature shots.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by amfoto1.

Dec 02, 2014 10:04 |  #5

The 7DII has even more complex AF system than the 70D (which has similar AF to original 7D)... which doesn't seem to be working very well for you.

And 7DII has a faster frame rate.... which you aren't really using and don't need for the vast majority of which you shoot.

You are getting a poor keeper rate with 70D, does it make sense to get an even faster handling and more complicated camera?

6D is more similar in handling to your T1i... similar AF system, similar frame rate. Makes more sense to me, especially since you only have a single EF-S lens in your kit... everything else is full frame compatible (I'm assuming "30mm f1.4L" is a typo and it's actually a 35/1.4L... if it's a Sigma 30/1.4 instead, well then you have two crop only lenses).

Repair of the mode dial seems strangely expensive. Sucks that you have to do that at all. But it's just a glued-on label. You might be able to make one from a photo, printed same size and laminated with plastic... but it would be better to have the original metal one.... I would not install one from another camera that has incorrect indications on it. Might be able to use that "incorrect" one as a backing or support for a printed, laminated photocopy of the correct one, though. Alternatively, I'd talk some more to Canon about it... Can't believe they don't have it avail. separately and are making you buy an entire top cover. Or talk to third party repairer if your 70D is out of warranty anyway.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 02, 2014 10:15 |  #6

I shoot mostly landscapes and architecture, and take occasional candid people shots. I also do a lot of macros, but for these I rely almost always on Live View. When not using LV, I always shoot with center point AF, so I doubt 60+ AFP of the 7D will be of much help to me. Don't do much video, and when I do, it's in situations where actual audio is more of a hindrance, since I wind up replacing it with background music anyway. So the fact that the 6D has no microphone is actually a plus! Also, I have an external flash, and don't see 6D's lack of a built in flash as a disadvantage.

I guess I'm slowly talking myself into getting the 6D :) Am I missing something about the 7DM2 that is an absolute must-have?

100% Canon!!!

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 02, 2014 10:34 |  #7

Why have you put up with it for over a year? Did you send it to Canon for calibration while it was under warranty?

My Gear

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by amfoto1. (2 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 10:53 |  #8

akadmon wrote in post #17304666 (external link)
I shoot mostly landscapes and architecture, and take occasional candid people shots. I also do a lot of macros, but for these I rely almost always on Live View. When not using LV, I always shoot with center point AF, so I doubt 60+ AFP of the 7D will be of much help to me. Don't do much video, and when I do, it's in situations where actual audio is more of a hindrance, since I wind up replacing it with background music anyway. So the fact that the 6D has no microphone is actually a plus! Also, I have an external flash, and don't see 6D's lack of a built in flash as a disadvantage.

I guess I'm slowly talking myself into getting the 6D :) Am I missing something about the 7DM2 that is an absolute must-have?

7DII is the "latest and greatest"... every Canon fanboy just gotta have one!

10 (yes TEN) frame per second scenic and architecture... to capture those trees and mountains and buildings at the peak moment!

65 (yes, SIXTY FIVE) AF points, all cross type. 7 or 8 (yes, SEVEN or EIGHT) AF patterns to choose among.

How can you pass it up? :roll:

But seriously...

No, for your stated uses the 7DII would likely be a big waste of money. From your description, 6D would do all you ever need.... better than 7DII, most likely. Full frame always captures more fine detail than a crop sensor of similar resolution. And FF will always be more noise free at high ISOs.

Regarding flash... actually I see the built-in flash on 7DII as a detriment, not a benefit. I wish Canon offered croppers without built-in flashes. On one of my 7Ds, the built-in flash has been stuck... for five years. That I've never bothered to fix it tells you how much I like to use it.

EDIT: Is there anything the 7DII offers that might benefit you?

Well, the original 7D had an automatic "macro AF" mode that, for some reason, wasn't very publicized by Canon (I had owned and used mine for several years before I even heard about it). How it works is, in AI Servo AF mode, when using any of the Canon USM macro lenses (all but the oldest 100/2.8 version and the 50/2.5 Compact Macro), and focused close, the camera would automatically begin sampling distance to subject 4X as often, for enhanced accuracy. In a sense, this was like a third dimension of stabilization (near/far axis, in addition to the left/right axis and up/down axis provided by in-lens IS).

However, I haven't seen documentation whether or not the 7DII also does this... Or 70D or any other Canon models, for that matter. Plus, it only works with those Canon USM macro lenses, and it only works in AI Servo mode. I bet most of us use Live View and/or manual focus for macro, anyway.... AI Servo was always about last on my list of modes for macro shooting!

One other thing... For certain, 7DII has the new Dual Pixel AF in Live View (same as the 70D) which is far faster than previous forms of AF in LV. Maybe if you had a camera with that feature, you'd use AF in LV more often. Or maybe not.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Strick
544 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 02, 2014 10:56 |  #9

How is using the VF causing you to miss shots? Knowing that makes picking another body a little easier.

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2014 11:05 |  #10

I also recommend the 6D over the 7D2.

However, be prepared for the mode dial to fall off of it. ;)

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 02, 2014 11:11 |  #11

It sounds like you have a real auto focus problem. Why not give Canon service a call? I wouldn't have waited this long if I noticed such a problem. I also think your next body should be the 6D. I would also send that camera to canon for at least test, check, and calibration. It will cost, but you'll get the camera back, and know what is wrong wit it. Or, you may want to clear all the settings and get back to factory and test further.

B

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

Apricane
934 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 02, 2014 11:20 |  #12

I agree with the previous posters, it shouldn't be complicated to get keepers. Some 70Ds definitely had very bad focusing problems, so maybe yours is one of them? You could check out the 70D focusing issues thread, you may find an answer to your questions (plus, if you think your camera is malfunctioning, it is dishonest to knowingly sell it to someone else without due and explicit warning).

Apricane Instagram (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link)
6D | 77D | TT685C & 430EX II & 270EX II
15-85 | ∑24-105A | 55-250 STM | 70-300L
24 STM | 35 f/2 IS | 40 STM | 100L
M6 | 22 | 18-55 | Adapter

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 02, 2014 11:44 |  #13

I did not send the camera to Canon for three reasons: 1) I did not want to admit to myself that my new camera was actually performing worse than my 4 year old entry level DSLR, 2) there never was the right time to do it (I go long periods without taking many photos, then all of a sudden vacation is a week away!), and 3) I had a bad experience with my 70-200mm f/4 IS and Canon Service (back when I only had the T1i), where I just couldn't detect any improvement (so money and time wasted).

I will be more discerning and proactive when it comes to my future camera/lens purchases. It either works to my liking, or it goes back where it came from. No second chances! And yes, I am aware that 6D's mode dial caps tend to detach quite easily. For this reason I plan to be proactive and detach it in a controlled manner, just so that I can then reattach with some super glue :)

I'm afraid I don't understand the purpose of having 65 focus points when shooting objects that don't move, which is pretty much all that I shoot. Can someone explain what this feature is meant for?

100% Canon!!!

pwk
76 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by pwk. (3 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 11:45 |  #14

It's possible you're one of the unlucky individuals suffering from this: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1354​075&page=1. I was following that thread for a bit and one of the posters, Scoober, sent his camera to canon several times for adjustments and didn't see a better result until they gutted and replaced the entire AF system within the camera.

Why did you keep it for a year though! Seeing as you've already gone past your warranty end date I'd definitely sell it off and get something else. You'd probably be fine with a 6D.

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 02, 2014 11:52 |  #15

Regarding Canon Service, what recourse does one have if there is no improvement in performance (as perceived by the user)? Do they get to redo the adjustment for free and pay for shipping?

100% Canon!!!

sponsored links

6,340 views & 2 likes for this thread
Fed up with the 70D! Need advice for my next camera.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.