Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 22:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fed up with the 70D! Need advice for my next camera.

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 02, 2014 11:55 |  #16

How out of focus are the shots? I messed around with a 70D last night in Best Buy and it seemed to focus very accurately.

sponsored links
i-G12
Wat?
2,011 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 02, 2014 12:23 |  #17

To OP: With all the problems you've had with Canon probably time to give Nikon a try! ;-)a

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by akadmon. (2 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 12:27 |  #18

I would characterize the issue as soft focusing, rather than back or front focusing. Besides that, I am a pixel peeper with a couple 30" monitors, which obviously compounds the issue. The shots may look fine on the camera's 3" LCD, but they are definitely soft at 100%.

100% Canon!!!

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 02, 2014 13:46 |  #19

What's your budget for a new cam?

The 6D can be had for a great deal through Canon refurbished and used copies of the 5D are going for a good deal as well.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 02, 2014 13:52 |  #20

akadmon wrote in post #17305184 (external link)
I would characterize the issue as soft focusing, rather than back or front focusing.

How could the AF system make them soft except by focusing too far in front or behind what you wanted to be in focus?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,393 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 02, 2014 17:17 |  #21

dalto wrote in post #17305488 (external link)
How could the AF system make them soft except by focusing too far in front or behind what you wanted to be in focus?

Yes, good point, and the likely answer is that it was not a focus problem but a motion problem.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

pwk
76 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 02, 2014 17:23 |  #22

akadmon wrote in post #17305017 (external link)
Regarding Canon Service, what recourse does one have if there is no improvement in performance (as perceived by the user)? Do they get to redo the adjustment for free and pay for shipping?

Out of warranty, you'd probably have to call your closest service center and ask. They will probably have you pay for shipping to them every time regardless.

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by akadmon.

Dec 02, 2014 20:10 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #23

How can there be a motion problem at 1/1000 sec shutter speed, with a stationary subject that is >10 feet away?

100% Canon!!!

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by akadmon. (5 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 22:25 |  #24

OK, I think it's time for a reset!

I'm resetting the camera to factory settings, and this time I will make sure not to assume that certain things are obvious, i.e., I will study the user manual like a monk, sentence by sentence, word by word. The truth of the matter is: I can't afford to buy the $2199 100-400mm MkII and another camera body right now (um, I can afford to spend $4000+ on my toys in any given month, but then there is this thing called wife). The former is in the works (order placed, wife resigned to the fact), but the latter will have to wait ("happy wife, happy life"). Who knows, I may just learn in the coming weeks that I have been misusing the 70D all along. Thank you all for the feedback!

100% Canon!!!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,059 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 03, 2014 12:34 as a reply to  @ akadmon's post |  #25

On the mode dial, you might have run out of time on the Canon warranty but if you paid by credit card have you checked to see if you have any extended coverage? My Mastercard give me an automatic extension up to the OEM warranty, not exceeding one year.

i-G12
Wat?
2,011 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by i-G12.

Dec 03, 2014 14:58 |  #26

akadmon wrote in post #17307038 (external link)
OK, I think it's time for a reset!

I'm resetting the camera to factory settings, and this time I will make sure not to assume that certain things are obvious, i.e., I will study the user manual like a monk, sentence by sentence, word by word. The truth of the matter is: I can't afford to buy the $2199 100-400mm MkII and another camera body right now (um, I can afford to spend $4000+ on my toys in any given month, but then there is this thing called wife). The former is in the works (order placed, wife resigned to the fact), but the latter will have to wait ("happy wife, happy life"). Who knows, I may just learn in the coming weeks that I have been misusing the 70D all along. Thank you all for the feedback!

I'm stil considering getting rid of my 70D and getting the 6D. I don't do that much action stuff so the properties of the 6D would be perfect. I hate to part with my 15-85 though. An awful lot of throw aways and at this point, it's not me.

Either that or Nikon... :cry:

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by akadmon.

Dec 03, 2014 21:14 as a reply to  @ i-G12's post |  #27

Switching sides is not a good option at this point (probably looking at another $1500+ to replace the Canon glass I own with Nikon equivalents, assuming I would sell for a decent price). And once I get the new 100-400mm Mk II, fogitaboutit!

BTW, you can buy a new 70D on Adorama for $799!!! Perhaps the word's got out and nobody's buying them.

100% Canon!!!

akadmon
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 03, 2014 21:24 |  #28

John from PA wrote in post #17308648 (external link)
On the mode dial, you might have run out of time on the Canon warranty but if you paid by credit card have you checked to see if you have any extended coverage? My Mastercard give me an automatic extension up to the OEM warranty, not exceeding one year.

Hm... I'll look into it. Thanks! Given that it's a slow time of the year for me shooting wise, I might just take the time and send it in for calibration together with my 35mm f/1.4L. This lens is tack sharp with my T1i, while I had to do a +10 micro adjustment on the 70D to get decent results (still not as good as T1i).

100% Canon!!!

DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2014 21:51 |  #29

I can agree with this guy and can show proof with Pictures. I came from a T3i which did not have any focus issues and then i got the 70D and after about a Month i notice several focusing issues. Pictures were slightly out of focus and my keeper rate was low. I then upgraded to the 6D and dealt with the same issues. I thought it was the lenses but it's absolutely the Bodies. I had to Micro Adjust my 50mm f1.2 to -24 to get a sharp shot at f1.2 - f2.0.

Canon C200 | Canon EOS R | RF 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

Lumens
454 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 5 years ago by Lumens.

Dec 05, 2014 07:08 |  #30

I own a 7D and a 6D. I don't like the FPS on the 7D as I end up with too many duplicates to post process. I use the 7D on "Slow Continuous" even when birding, so the 6D works fine for me and my preferences in that aspect. As for Focus Speed and Focal Range the 7D excels over the 6D, but I find myself in Sunrise, Sunset, and overcast situations quite often so the 6D gets used over the 7D most of the time. But when the light is good, the 7D comes out, it is still an awesome camera and I have to believe the 7DII is even better.

If you look at a new camera I recommend the 6D for the stated uses you mention, I doubt you will be disappointed, the image Quality of Full Frame over Crop frame is very noticeable. I get a lot more keepers with my 6D than my 7D.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

sponsored links

6,701 views & 2 likes for this thread
Fed up with the 70D! Need advice for my next camera.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.