Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2014 (Monday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #512 - my personal treasures

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 24, 2014 23:40 |  #1

Challenge #512 - my personal treasures

Think of all the objects you keep with you as treasures. They remind you of persons, events or moments of your own life. Choose among them one or a small collection with common significance and show us a picture of them.
If they are in a drawer and not actually displayed at home, create a provisional display to show them in a mood that closely resembles the feelings they evoque on you.
Let's see what we get. This challenge may provide us whit some interesting pictures. At least I think so. Good luck.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 1st December 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II, G7 X and Pro1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 01, 2014 12:50 |  #2

Challenge #512 - my personal treasures is CLOSED

There are no photos for judging.

I think that POTN forums temporal closure during Monday 01 Dic 2014 was only partly responsible for the lack of entries in this challenge.
Previous challenges were also affected by a small number of entries so a discussion and ideas to get the G-series challenges more active is in order.

If you agree, start posting opinions and ideas in this thread. I will move those posts to their own new thread as soon as possible.

--- ---
POTN forums are now running in a new server and using the new software engine AMASS! designed and coded by Pekka (external link) (Pekka Saarinen).
We will need some days to learn the new features and get used to some actions that may look slightly different, but basic posting is intuitive.
Good luck to all.
--- ---

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 01, 2014 15:21 |  #3

I would have taken part, but I really have no objects which meet the brief. The closest thing to a "personal treasure" is my dog, but she is not a memento or reminder of something or someone. In any event, I tried to photograph her anyway, but the results for what I wanted to achieve were not successful with the G7X so I had nothing to submit.

One thing I would like to see included in the rules is that submitted photos are shot only after the topic is announced and not simply picked from old stock people have lurking in their library. That would encourage people to get out and use their camera with specific purpose and strive their best to get the most from their camera within the brief. Of course, policing such a thing might not be easy, but it's the way I would want to approach any of the speed challenges. I don't see it as much of a challenge just to find an image from existing stock. I can understand why such a suggestion might be rejected, but it's been on my mind so I'll put it out there.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 01, 2014 18:59 as a reply to  @ tdodd's post |  #4

I suggest that the main reason there were no posts for this challenge was that the site was down on the last two days when often most entries are posted. The other reason may be that people were reluctant to post their personal treasures because they were just too personal and perhaps even valuable - and who wants to advertise the fact they have valuables on the internet these days?

As for tdodd's idea about only current shots, I agree in principle, and it's always good to see some people making making the effort to go out and shoot for specific challenges, but I'm afraid it would reduce the number of entries even further and would be too hard to police.

Personally, I would like to see a new competition in the competitions section based exactly on the G-series rules but open to ALL Canon cameras from P&S to EOS. I realize that I could start it myself but so far have been too lazy.;-)a

In the meantime, I suggest that you choose a new topic, Rafael, and start the the challenge anew as if this past week never happened!

BTW - it's great to see POTN back up :-D

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,061 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 01, 2014 22:24 |  #5

The transition must get some of the blame. Entries often come in on the last day. I skipped the few weeks before that because I was away. Couldn't enter before the trip if I might win and not be able to judge; then couldn't enter when I wasn't home with the computer. Then busy when I returned, with beta and the things one does to catch up after a trip. Then I had nothing suitable for the theme just before yours, and still busy that week and this week. Some themes make it more likely to have a past photo to use. For last week and this week, I would have had to get a new photo. I don't usually shoot those two kinds of scenes. (Posted on the beta test board, copied here.)

tdodd wrote in post #17301434 (external link)
One thing I would like to see included in the rules is that submitted photos are shot only after the topic is announced and not simply picked from old stock people have lurking in their library. That would encourage people to get out and use their camera with specific purpose and strive their best to get the most from their camera within the brief.

I wouldn't want this change. Travel isn't equally easy for everyone. I live in a city and don't drive. If the theme is landscapes, for example, I wouldn't usually be able to get something new. For ecological reasons, I wouldn't want themes that encourage other people to make trips they wouldn't make otherwise.

Most people drive, but occasionally themes that pertain to particular kinds of locations, such as bodies of water, have caused posting to be light because some people were too busy that week to get away. Weather can even interfere with one's plans. When I've chosen the topic, I tried hard to pick one that allowed interpretations within varied personal circumstances.

The Worldwide Photo Week challenge in the Member Activities forum requires new photos. Any camera is accepted there.

teekay wrote in post #17302260 (external link)
The other reason may be that people were reluctant to post their personal treasures because they were just too personal

That was a factor for me as well.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 02, 2014 12:53 |  #6

teekay wrote in post #17302260 (external link)
... In the meantime, I suggest that you choose a new topic, Rafael, and start the the challenge anew as if this past week never happened!

BTW - it's great to see POTN back up :-D

Thanks for the reply teekay.
You know that, as you do, I have done all in my hands to keep the challenges running from the time I joined POTN.
I'm really sad to see that what seems to be the first week in ten years without a challenge arrived just while I am the host.
But no, I will not start with a second theme this time.
I think it is better that, as it has been done before, enthusiast of these challenges with you, marie Maureen and others, talk a little to find how to rise the interest in these friendly competitions.
I will be here too with my ideas, if they help.

Many of the participants are now seasoned photographers, but I remember how I learned about digital photography from the comments in the challenges. If that type of help returns, we will have enthusiastic new members willing to participate.

Perhaps we can ask the runnerups of challenge 511 (you were there:)) to start a new challenge next Monday to allow people to be comfortable with the new POTN and have a full week to post images.

rafael

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 02, 2014 13:24 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #7

As a relative newcomer and participant for only a year and a half or so, I don't want to offer too many suggestions to a crew that have been hosting for 10 years or so. I know some of you folks have been here for the long haul, and you've seen the evolution of this thing during that time.

I do want to echo others... sometimes the timing of a given challenge seems to roll things into a perfect storm. Travel, business, work....sometimes combine to make one reluctant to enter for fear of 'winning' the honor of hosting the following week's challenge. Or, for instance this week.... lack of entries... I see a whole combo of issues coming together in one hard moment.

If I might register my opinion.... I agree with both OhLook and Teekay. Given the wide spectrum of challenge topics it isn't always feasible to go out and shoot weekly for a specific topic. That would certainly limit my participation. I have done both.... culled from my archives, and shot specifically. I enjoy either one. Sometimes, with a very limited library, the challenge is to make an existing photo fit the weekly theme.

One possible solution might be to extend the interval.... make the challenge bi-weekly, tri-weekly or monthly. This would allow for more participation for any given challenge.

Thanks for all the hosting and discussion, Rafael!

Sorry I didn't come through for you this week.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 02, 2014 13:54 as a reply to  @ Spoco57's post |  #8

Thanks Spoco57. The 'no comments' rule is nice to have the photos display neat and the judge unbiased. The same rule in a monthly challenge may kill the interest.

Just a crazy idea: We can find the way to start challenges, one every week, but each one remain open for a month. That way, people have more time to post and we still have photos and comments every week. At the end of one challenge another one starts so we have every week a one month challenge.

The idea above is not to replace or delay the next challenge. We must continue with the same rules and weekly challenges while the new ideas are discussed and the details resolved.

Designation of the host for the next challenge is the priority.

rafael

Trumper
958 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 02, 2014 14:35 |  #9

Personally i will try and take the photo after the competition is announced.I feel it makes me actively look and take notice BUT ,as in most Europe now the evenings are in early ,weather has been dark and dull making it hard to get a photo.
Regarding the treasures subject ,we just don't have anything .In the last couple of weeks i haven't entered a competition because i wouldn't be around IF in the unlikely event i won and needed to start a competition or judge.
Maybe a trial period of 2 weeks for the competition to be open,see how it goes. :)
Well done :-)

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 02, 2014 18:05 |  #10

rpolitsr wrote in post #17305491 (external link)
....We must continue with the same rules and weekly challenges while the new deas are discussed and the details resolved. ...Designation of the host for the next challenge is the priority.

I agree. Let's all not freak out just because we missed one week in over 500, and that was almost certainly due to the fact that POTN was down for several days. Maybe some people even shut off their computers, got out their cameras and on doctor's advice went on a holiday to get over withdrawal symptoms.;-)a

So, let's take a one week break (it won't kill us) and I hereby nominate Maureen, being a long time competitor and moderator, to start a new challenge next Monday December 8 - with of course the same tried and true rules that have stood the test of time.

As for remaining open for a month after each challenge closes, in effect we do that already with people often posting related images and discussions well after the judging is over.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,511 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 02, 2014 20:21 |  #11

I was out of town, for several days, for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 03, 2014 10:49 |  #12

Happy to stick with the existing rules, but I for one will be shooting something new to fit with each theme. If I'm unable to do so I simply won't be able to enter for that week. I see it as neither "speedy" nor a "challenge" to rummage through my library of old photos on the off chance that I might already have something I can get away with. Apart from which, as a G7X owner it's almost certain that I won't. ;-)a

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,445 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 07, 2014 14:37 |  #13

I have participated in this challenge off & on for the past several years and enjoyed the experience immensely. I have not played in the past several weeks as I have been focused on winding down my 25 year career with my current employer. On 31 December I will retire from a 55 year career in the workforce ߑ

I really enjoy this small but feisty band of intrepid photographers and hope the challenge will continue into next year so I can once again participate.

I personally like challenges that are technique related. Some ideas might include:

A. Break the rules: no straight horizon or rule of thirds.
B. Shoot a panoramic of at least three photos.
C. No editing allowed...we actually did that one last year.
D. Black & wire conversions.

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 07, 2014 18:55 |  #14

I too have enjoyed these challenges immensely over the last several years. I have probably missed most of this year due to circumstances that have left me very little time for pursuit of my hobbies. I have followed the challenges every week but just have not been able to participate. That should be changing again soon I think! My best to all of you throughout this holiday season!

Mike

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

Car
627 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by Car.

Dec 11, 2014 07:02 |  #15

I too have enjoyed these weekly challenges immensely since getting my G7 several years ago. This year I have been pretty much absent for one reason on another that I will not bore you with. Mark the report card 'can do better' and I will get back into the swing of things. :-D Seasons Greetings to all.
Carolyn

sponsored links

5,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #512 - my personal treasures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.