Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who to use to print greeting cards, etc for resale?

T2iMdSue
333 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 02, 2014 19:37 |  #1

Hello all, I am hoping you can help me figure out the basics for selling my images locally.

I live in a small town surrounded by beautiful scenery and history. I have accumulated quite a collection of local landmarks, birds, and other scenic images. I'd like to make up some greeting cards, photographs, and perhaps a calendar for resale.

Currently, there is no one in town that sells local images even though we are surrounded by beautiful scenery. I am well regarded for my bird and scenery photography and a few people have expressed an interest in purchasing certain photographs.

I'd like to start small to see if there is a market by making up a small batch of greeting cards, postcards, or 8x10's to try and sell at local retailers. I'm hesitant to invest a lot of money before I know what kind of market there is.

My biggest question is who would/do you use to order cards for resale? I can find plenty of online businesses that do custom printing, but I am having trouble finding one that makes prints or cards for the purpose of re-sales?

I'm also thinking I need a website for my pictures and sales, but I lack experience in that area. Suggestions for easy to use web-hosting sites?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks from a newbie that doesn't want to get in over my head.

Susan

Canon T2i, EF-S 18-135mm f3.5/5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 02, 2014 21:22 |  #2

Cards I sell are printed be me, and hand cut and hand folded by me. If you outsource the making of the card you are giving away money. Look at your pricing since local retailers will likely want 50% of your selling price.

T2iMdSue
THREAD ­ STARTER
333 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 03, 2014 09:26 |  #3

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17190920 (external link)
Cards I sell are printed be me, and hand cut and hand folded by me. If you outsource the making of the card you are giving away money. Look at your pricing since local retailers will likely want 50% of your selling price.

Thank-you. That is definitely a possibility. My printer will do photo quality prints but the ink is quite pricy and runs out quickly.

Do you mind sharing what type of printer that you use? Have you ever tried the refillable inks?

The other thing I would need if I decided to make my own prints would be matting for the prints as well as some sort of clear plastic wraps to put the products in.

Any suggestions?

Canon T2i, EF-S 18-135mm f3.5/5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 03, 2014 09:59 |  #4

I have also been curious about the most cost effective way to make quality cards of some of my photographs.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 03, 2014 20:22 |  #5

3rd party ink. Artist made cards may have more appeal than outsourced to a big shop.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 07, 2014 03:17 |  #6

Press printed cards I use WHCC but then you have to order 25 of the same minimum. They look great though.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

low-1
159 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 02, 2014 13:07 |  #7

T2iMdSue wrote in post #17191646 (external link)
Thank-you. That is definitely a possibility. My printer will do photo quality prints but the ink is quite pricy and runs out quickly.

Do you mind sharing what type of printer that you use? Have you ever tried the refillable inks?

The other thing I would need if I decided to make my own prints would be matting for the prints as well as some sort of clear plastic wraps to put the products in.

Any suggestions?

I use http://www.cisinks.com​/ (external link) and I have no complaints.

kpritts
329 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 05, 2014 18:03 |  #8

I have been happy with VistaPrint. Try to catch them when they are having a sale and place a large order.

KDPritts Photography (http://kdpritts.com (external link))
Canon 1D Mark IV, 60D; Canon EF 16-35L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L II, 100 f2.8L macro, 100-400L, 300 f2.8L; Canon 1.4x III extender; Travel Kit: EOS M2, 11-22, 18-55, 22, 55-200.

75D
Goldmember
1,504 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2014 11:54 |  #9

I have been making my own cards for several years now and selling them at Church Bazars and other such venues.
I print the photo I want and then mount them on Blank cards c/w envelopes I purchased from the local Art Supply Store.
I use a mounting sheet from Letraset.
I buy the Plastic Bags form Clear Bags here in Canada and slip the cards and envelope in.
You don't have to make large quantities and you can say that they are all Handmade by the Photographer.
It may seem a little time consuming but I can produce a couple of hundred in an afternoon.
It allows you to customize your product for the the market you intend to sell to and you don't have a lot of left overs of stuff that does not sell.
It also allows for the flexibility of meeting cusomer demands with in a short period of time.

40D Rebel XT
Kit Lens 18-55mm
EF 50mm 1.8 II
90-300 Canon EF
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Sigma 10-20 3.5

sponsored links

1,840 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who to use to print greeting cards, etc for resale?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.