Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New format.. makes me dizzy

this thread is locked
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,144 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 02, 2014 16:49 |  #616

Charlie wrote in post #17306097 (external link)
that's what I was thinking might be the only advantage, however, that added complexity is generally not needed and just makes it harder on the user.

that said, if the added depth of quotes is desired, it is still posssible with vbulletin style quoting. The way it is now is just too complex IMO.

It isn't complicated, it is just different. You have to hit the MQ button on each reply, just like on the old forum. You still have to hit reply, like you did before. The only thing now is you click the QUOTE word, and either hit the Add All, or pick and choose as you type your response. That isn't complicated, it is just different and you have a click or two you didn't before.

AGAIN, there are going to be continuing changes. There might be some tweaking of this to eliminate a click perhaps, I don't know.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 02, 2014 16:52 |  #617

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17306075 (external link)
Because now, you can control which quotes you reply to, and in a different order than the reply # order. I don't believe that was an option in the old forum, you had to post them all, and then interject your answers around them. This is more logical in how you would answer all the points you are multi-quoting, and you can easily rearrange them to make more of a logical argument to them all.

There are also options to split them automatically and remove inner quotations. It is so much easier than the old cut and paste way

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,144 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2014 16:53 |  #618

dalto wrote in post #17306115 (external link)
There are also options to split them automatically and remove inner quotations. It is so much easier than the old cut and paste way

True, I had forgotten about the nested quotes, good point! :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,440 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 02, 2014 16:54 |  #619

dalto wrote in post #17306115 (external link)

Yes, those are mighty handy. And you can also mq posts and go to another thread and insert them there.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,794 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 02, 2014 16:58 |  #620

xpfloyd wrote in post #17306055 (external link)
Just worked this out myself. Click MF on the multiple quotes, then click quote on one of them, then when the editor opens you need to click "quote" on the left panel below the underline option. Then you can click each quote and they paste in.

It's not that clear as "quote" doesn't look like something you can click

What else would that Quote text be? Does Bold look like it gives you bold?

I sometimes do not get it, it is obvious. I thought it was clear that it is a command and not some arbitrary decoration. Sorry about the trouble it's causing.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 02, 2014 17:01 |  #621

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17305889 (external link)
Try going to the bottom and change the text size to "reading glasses lost". I've found that it works better for me that way.

Does make it easier on the eyes. I used to center all my posts too.
Don

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 02, 2014 17:02 |  #622

Pekka wrote in post #17306133 (external link)

I sometimes do not get it, it is obvious. I thought it was clear that it is a command and not some arbitrary decoration. Sorry about the trouble it's causing.

Honestly, When I first looked at it only the green arrows, the smilies and the upload images were obvious as buttons.

Now that I know the rest are buttons it makes sense but you don't look at the stuff over there naturally and think that you can click on them.

The preview & save draft text is even less noticeable as clickable.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,109 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 02, 2014 17:02 |  #623

Don't mean to offend pekka, I was just trying to help someone out with that response. I've already said early doors in this thread that I don't personally like the left panel on the text editor due to the way it's all random graphics etc. I didn't mean to bring it back up though and wrote that without thinking there.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

InnerSpark
28 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2014 17:03 |  #624

Oh wow I can actually click on that Quote graphic to the left of a reply... Did not even notice that or what the other stuff was up there. People are use to word style editors. I like it but needs something to help people understand what its for until they get use to it. Just my opinion.

Mike (old account: BinderInteractve) - Canon 70D, 20D, 24-70 F2.8 L, 580EX, Photo Genic StudioMax III AC-DC Wireless Studio Kit, PocketWizard Plus II

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,440 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 02, 2014 17:05 |  #625

dalto wrote in post #17306152 (external link)

Honestly, When I first looked at it only the green arrows, the smilies and the upload images were obvious as buttons.

Now that I know the rest are buttons it makes sense but you don't look at the stuff over there naturally and think that you can click on them.

The preview & save draft text is even less noticeable as clickable.

xpfloyd wrote in post #17306154 (external link)

Don't mean to offend pekka, I was just trying to help someone out with that response. I've already said early doors in this thread that I don't personally like the left panel on the text editor due to the way it's all random graphics etc. I didn't mean to bring it back up though and wrote that without thinking there.

It's new. It's different. But once you know this stuff, you know it. Problem over. :)

P1et
386 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 02, 2014 17:07 |  #626

First day on the new style forum and my eyes are hurting. Looks very odd on my 22" screen and the page looks VERY busy. Not a fan at all. Let's go back to the old look please.

Canon 50D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon EF 50 f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX | ST-E2

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 02, 2014 17:08 |  #627

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17306162 (external link)
It's new. It's different. But once you know this stuff, you know it. Problem over. :)

Please don't take it the wrong way. With the glaring exception of search I like the new forum. I was just trying to provide some constructive feedback. Changing the stuff on the left to look more clickable would make it easier for people new to the forum.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,109 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 02, 2014 17:08 |  #628

P1et wrote in post #17306168 (external link)
First day on the new style forum and my eyes are hurting. Looks very odd on my 22" screen and the page looks VERY busy. Not a fan at all. Let's go back to the old look please.

Please see previous 626 posts

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,144 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2014 17:08 |  #629

P1et wrote in post #17306168 (external link)

Change your font (bottom link on page), then mess with your margin sizes (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php​#settings). See if that makes things better.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
18,440 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 02, 2014 17:09 |  #630

InnerSpark wrote in post #17306157 (external link)
Oh wow I can actually click on that Quote graphic to the left of a reply... Did not even notice that or what the other stuff was up there. People are use to word style editors. I like it but needs something to help people understand what its for until they get use to it. Just my opinion.

Pekka posted video tutorials. One showed the Editor Tool Box and what everything does in there. Did you miss that?

sponsored links

140,343 views & 461 likes for this thread
New format.. makes me dizzy
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.