Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New format.. makes me dizzy

this thread is locked
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,792 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 02, 2014 19:00 |  #661

P1et wrote in post #17306438 (external link)
Will that turn on a notification every time someone replies in this thread?

Yes.

I would like to be notified when someone replies specifically to a post I've made, or leaves a post in a thread that I've started.

All your own threads are followed automatically and have notifications on by default.

You can set notifications on/off for each thread in https://photography-on-the.net/forum/newposts​.php?followed=1

I'm not worried about email notifications as the last thing I need is more email. Almost like a Facebook notification (not that I have Facebook, but that's what I am trying to get across.

I dislike that kind of mail flow myself. I'm planning on making apps for the notifcations....

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
DigitalTuned
All these thoughts give me nightmares
4,757 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2014 19:09 |  #662

Huge change but it will grow on me once I get the flow..

Isaac
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
facebook - (external link) - 500px (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,566 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 02, 2014 19:09 |  #663

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #17306437 (external link)
That is great it's about photography. BUT I'm a canon user and now you have diluted this forum.

This hasn't been a 'Canon' forum in years. The name plate still said Canon but all brands have been welcome for years. Now with each brand having a section of their own you will no longer see Nikon/Pentax/Sony/etc mixed in under the Canon section.

Sevas Tra

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2014 19:15 |  #664

Pekka wrote in post #17306184 (external link)
About eye-hurting: this has now a bit darker scheme.

Well I wish you hadn't. I shouldn't have stayed silent yesterday when you were getting complaints about it. Maybe others also stayed silent based on your initial response.

Pekka wrote in post #17306233 (external link)
Post texts are already not deep black, but I can do that, too (done).

And now the site is another of those "mid grey on light grey" abominations that have been taking over the net in the last couple of years. I think one or other of your theories about all this being caused by poor monitors and/or poor adjustment of them is on the money, but it doesn't alter the fact that those of us with properly adjusted, good monitors now have a degraded experience.

It will affect people in different ways, but in my case it's pretty severe. I have some rarish eye conditions that mean I shouldn't read low-contrast or reverse colour schemes for too long. Therefore I strictly limit my browsing/posting time on various sites according to how the colour scheme affects me. My guess is I can stand the new site for not more than 20 minutes per day. This is longer than some other photo sites, but mich shorter than your old vBulletin site with its pale blues. I can work 15 hours straight with a pure black on pure white colour scheme.

You will never get agreement, so I suggest you make it a setting. How hard could it be to switch between 3 CSS style sheets? Please let one of them be pure black on white.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,983 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 02, 2014 19:18 |  #665

That is great it's about photography. BUT I'm a canon user and now you have diluted this forum.

You can hide all the subforums you don't want to see. These lines, low on the main page, are for hiding subforums and rearranging what's left.

SORT FORUMS AND AREAS

FILTER FORUMS FROM YOUR VIEW

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,365 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 02, 2014 19:25 |  #666

I think having all the EXIF data available is awesome. The "Best of" and "All of" sections are further enhanced by being able to few a posted members gallery with one click. Still learning but there's a lot of cool stuff going on.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 02, 2014 19:25 |  #667

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17306121 (external link)
dalto wrote in post #17306115 (external link)
There are also options to split them automatically and remove inner quotations. It is so much easier than the old cut and paste way

Yes, those are mighty handy. And you can also mq posts and go to another thread and insert them there.

You could MQ posts and insert them in another thread in the old vBulletin POTN too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

trandyd
31 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 02, 2014 19:25 as a reply to  @ post 17300939 |  #668

Agreed. its gonna take some time

70d/18-135

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 02, 2014 19:28 |  #669

trandyd wrote in post #17306531 (external link)
Agreed. its gonna take some time

Agree!

—Eric

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,459 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 20:32 |  #670

melcat wrote in post #17306509 (external link)
Well I wish you hadn't. I shouldn't have stayed silent yesterday when you were getting complaints about it. Maybe others also stayed silent based on your initial response.

And now the site is another of those "mid grey on light grey" abominations that have been taking over the net in the last couple of years. I think one or other of your theories about all this being caused by poor monitors and/or poor adjustment of them is on the money, but it doesn't alter the fact that those of us with properly adjusted, good monitors now have a degraded experience.

It will affect people in different ways, but in my case it's pretty severe. I have some rarish eye conditions that mean I shouldn't read low-contrast or reverse colour schemes for too long. Therefore I strictly limit my browsing/posting time on various sites according to how the colour scheme affects me. My guess is I can stand the new site for not more than 20 minutes per day. This is longer than some other photo sites, but mich shorter than your old vBulletin site with its pale blues. I can work 15 hours straight with a pure black on pure white colour scheme.

You will never get agreement, so I suggest you make it a setting. How hard could it be to switch between 3 CSS style sheets? Please let one of them be pure black on white.

Sounds great to have three options, I hope we'll get that. Kind of like the light, medium, dark options for Photoshop. I would prefer a dark interface (white type), but for now my eyes very much appreciate this so-called "mid grey on light grey abomination". So much easier on my eyes. Looks much better than yesterday to me. Very happy with the POTN interface right now. :D

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2014 21:03 |  #671

GVal wrote in post #17305704 (external link)
Came back for the first time in a while and really don't like what I am seeing.

The forums are 100x more difficult to browse in this format. Information is not as clearly and quickly discernible as it used to be. Flowing serif fonts make for terrible readibility in this format.

Post information (date and time) being below and in line with the message body is horrendous formatting. Makes a post more difficult to decipher and clutters your view in seeking the next post. The wording/display for "likes" is equally awful.

I will not be returning to this forum again unless there's an option to revert. Not worth the headache to decrypt the new formatting.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 02, 2014 21:31 |  #672

You can always turn off any forum you don't want to see, making it more like the old POTN. We already had dilution in all boards due to the other camera manufacturers upping their game, so the dilution already occurred.

EDIT: shoot, others beat me to it, this forum is just too blazin' fast!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 02, 2014 21:36 |  #673

Good work, I like it. Good start with the new platform.

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 02, 2014 22:01 |  #674

At least feedback is starting to become somewhat positive....

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 02, 2014 22:02 |  #675

JM Photos wrote in post #17306964 (external link)
At least feedback is starting to become somewhat positive....

Pekka's quick changes, coupled with people changing their fonts using the link at the bottom, and then changing their margin settings, have made a turn for the better. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

140,262 views & 461 likes for this thread
New format.. makes me dizzy
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.