Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2014 (Saturday) 08:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can't see Classifieds: Buy

this thread is locked
Charles ­ Brown
153 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 02, 2014 13:45 |  #76

Thanks Pekka.

I actually liked the 180 day thing , it was just the 100 post requirement that seemed onerous... because I often can't think of anything constructive to contribute that hasn't already been stated by those who are both wiser and quicker than I am. For me to say anything more would make me look like Captain Obvious. Not that I'm not... it's just dorky to wear my cap and cape in every thread. It's bad enough in this one.

And while I'm being honest... probably the only reason why I liked the 180 day requirement is because I already had met it. And the only reason why I didn't like the 100 post thing is because I hadn't met it yet. It was everything I could muster to make my first 30 posts, once I decided to give it a go, in much the same vein as JonQCanon posted above.

So from the point of view of who is and who isn't effected by a rule change, it stands to reason that a POTN veteran like JMPhoto would completely support the changes, having long ago met both requirements, whereas someone like me, having only met one requirement, would support the one, and feel put out by the other.

Yet, looking deeper, why should I feel put out at all? Even if I was a charter member to POTN, with 30,000 posts, I would still have no claim of right to use the classified ads. The Marketplace is a favor to the membership, not an entitlement. It is a benefit that Pekka voluntarily facilitates for members, not a government mandate that Pekka must provide to members. As the owner of this website, he can pull it, replace it, or require that members master the hula hoop before being able to see it, all at his sole discretion. I have no right to demand it.

Furthermore, to my best guess (as I haven't used the classifieds here yet), neither Pekka nor POTN derives any financial benefit from facilitating the member to member buy and sell forums. As far as I can see, the entire classified section is most likely a big pain in the aas to administrate, all for which there is no commission or compensation. He's kind of doing us a favor.

On the other hand, I can certainly see how the Marketplace attracts members to participate, and more participation leads to higher traffic numbers that make for a better case to sell commercial ads... and meeting a 100 post / 6 month membership requirement really would limit the attraction of the Marketplace, especially since 6 months in digital is equivalent to 12 years in film, the technology moves so quickly. Younger people do not have the patience, or the time, literally, in todays fast paced world. So I can see opening the marketplace back up again as a good business decision. But not as a right of membership.

Finally, Traci_Ann brought up an excellent point. Having a certain number of posts on record allows perspective buyers and sellers to obtain a feel for who you are as a person. This vetting is as intangible as it is instinctual, but it can be key to increasing the comfort level enough to initiate a transaction, or to avoid one. For example, with me, people will know that I don't post much, but when I do, I can't seem to shut up. I'm sure that they will take that into consideration before PM'ing me about anything I buy or sell. They'll check their watch and say, Hmmm, do I really have time to read a C.O. response today?"

Thanks again Pekka, first for hosting a Marketplace, and second for finding a balance between protection and participation.

sponsored links
tbrass
50 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 02, 2014 14:35 as a reply to  @ post 17305103 |  #77

WOOT! My daily fix is back!!

unfaix
106 posts
Joined May 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by unfaix.

Dec 02, 2014 15:44 |  #78

I'm actually in a middle of trade initiated from this site, witin the buy/sale forum.

Im sure the trade will go smoothly, but no one will know about it since I cant post feedback.

Also, what if it doesnt go smoothly, I'd still have to write posts like this just to get it to 100 in order to protect myself and the other person.

-edit-
I could see the buy/sell forum now, you guys sure do listen to your users.

Props.

trandyd
31 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 02, 2014 19:35 |  #79

figuring it out

70d/18-135

Fprodget
38 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 02, 2014 20:41 |  #80

thanks for lowering to 30 and 30.

John
5D IV 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM, 24-105 L; 17-40 L; 50mm 1.8 Mk1; 100mm 2.0

segasaturn
849 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 02, 2014 21:02 as a reply to  @ post 17305103 |  #81

Although I wasn't affected by it, how nice of you!

ERabbit
81 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 02, 2014 21:43 |  #82

Again the 30 and 30 is much appreciated by those who don't post as much and view more. I love the classified here and have found some great deals with trustworthy people which is the most important part.

70D|30D|18-135 STM|18-55|50 1.8 II|55-250 IS II|100-400L

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 02, 2014 22:10 |  #83

At least this crushes the statement that "Pekka and the beta testers don't care about the other users here.." which many people were saying earlier...

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

xcentrk
47 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 02, 2014 22:21 |  #84

Thank you!

Brandon.

ricm
182 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 02, 2014 22:41 |  #85

Thanks!

baugherlake
34 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 03, 2014 04:50 |  #86

Thanks

trandyd
31 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 03, 2014 06:35 |  #87

Thanks again

70d/18-135

trandyd
31 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 03, 2014 06:36 |  #88

:-)

70d/18-135

trandyd
31 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 03, 2014 06:39 |  #89

Wow posts deleted having to start my count again.

70d/18-135

barfbaggs
Goldmember
1,351 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 03, 2014 06:40 |  #90

Another thanks here!

sponsored links

19,046 views & 19 likes for this thread
Can't see Classifieds: Buy
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.