Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Older members hurting... From market place

this thread is locked
Zehnn
112 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 02, 2014 10:18 as a reply to  @ post 17304650 |  #16

180 days + 84 more posts for you. I really feel like this requirement is going to promote more useless blather... I'd like to see a negation of the post requirement for people on the old site who had positive feedback or something, because I did a couple buys and was fine. If it was a sustained posting requirement I could see the argument for 'keeping the community involved' but frankly it's not like this community suffers from the lack of a few voices. Plenty of people here and talking.

Canon EOS 600D / EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5 | Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro (1990 version) EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

sponsored links
mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 02, 2014 10:23 |  #17

biglipps66 wrote in post #17302932 (external link)
Now I feel like I have to contribute useless posts to threads only to be able to buy things from valuable forum members.

Well then, I think you are missing the point...

community-
noun
1. a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
2. a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.

Join the community, get involved, contribute, discuss... then buy and sell...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

biglipps66
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Dec 02, 2014 12:46 |  #18

I see the point of being involved but for example the other guy thats been here since 2007 can't even see it.

My mom once told me if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Im sure most of us have heard that, right? I just don't see the point in having to post useless information, cluttering threads with "cool" just to be able to even VIEW the section.

I'll literally have to spam the forum just to reach the post count, aghvmad

JanetS
342 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 02, 2014 15:02 |  #19

biglipps66 wrote in post #17305262 (external link)
I see the point of being involved but for example the other guy thats been here since 2007 can't even see it.

My mom once told me if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Im sure most of us have heard that, right? I just don't see the point in having to post useless information, cluttering threads with "cool" just to be able to even VIEW the section.

I'll literally have to spam the forum just to reach the post count, aghvmad

REALLY??? A more community-minded approach would be to visit the forums (general talk / photo-sharing, etc) that interest you. Make meaningful comments and ask meaningful questions. You and other forum members will benefit and grow.

Essentially what photography is is life lit up.
- Sam Abell

simply.blue
92 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2014 18:09 |  #20

I think having a guideline is good but having excessive requirements only encourage even more useless postings. I just hope we won't get a flood of posts as more members are mostly concern about quantity of posts as oppose to quality.

While I understand we should encourage some participation before going to the market place, some of us do have to manage a family, school/job and other hobbies outside of our "online" status. I'm afraid scammers will eventually overcome any requirements we come up with because that's what's they do - cheat the system. Even a "paid" subscription-style site like FM is still plague with scammers so 100 useless posts are nothing to sneeze at. In the end, as the OP pointed out, it's the the honest forum members who are hurting.

I don't think we can ever eliminate all scammers. The best is to educate all members about the risk. As the members become smarter then scammers will just find elsewhere to do their business.

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 02, 2014 20:48 |  #21

I didn't even know about this new rule.

So, I have to get 100 posts in order to purchase an item in the marketplace section?

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 02, 2014 20:49 |  #22

I just noticed I already have over 100 posts. I must have retained my pre-launch post count.

Are some members not retaining post counts from the old site?

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,967 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 02, 2014 20:52 |  #23

In the old forum to gain access to G&N section before hitting the post requirement you could show your work to a mod. In the old forum you had the history to determine which users had sold multiple items but were under the posting limit set here. They could have been given access to start off with. Im not sure how feasible this was but they do provide to the buying/selling eco-system. That is meaningful in a different way to this forum as it keeps gear moving around for people to use.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

OhLook
you get what you get
19,322 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 02, 2014 21:41 |  #24

The rules have been relaxed in response to members' protests.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17305108

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

baugherlake
34 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 03, 2014 04:54 |  #25

Thanks for relaxing the posting rules

sponsored links

3,118 views & 3 likes for this thread
Older members hurting... From market place
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.