Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sorry to say but

this thread is locked
Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,559 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 02, 2014 23:52 |  #106

Ralph III wrote in post #17307253 (external link)
Can't stand it either! Seriously, it went from being my favorite website to one of the poorest sites I've ever come across. Secondly, this used to be a place dedicated to Canon users. That is now lost in what seems like some sort of sales gimmick.

Do they hope to gain some monetary benefits by adding all the other camera manufactures or are they in hopes of selling this software? Don't know who'd buy it....

Ralph

Have you paid any attention to the forum over the last few years? It hasn't been a dedicated Canon based forum for a very long time, other brands have been welcome. Now instead of other brands being mixed in the Canon areas they all have their own sections.

Sevas Tra...

sponsored links
the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2014 00:07 as a reply to  @ post 17307249 |  #107

Thank you for that. It seems silly that it wouldn't be in settings though.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2014 00:22 as a reply to  @ post 17307249 |  #108

Also, clicking on that has no effect on the text on the home page. The text is still very small. If I make the text larger using the browser, it makes other pages way too big. So my options are to use a separate browser for POTN and keep the text large or use it as is and sit way closer to the screen. I'll try and upload a picture.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 03, 2014 00:38 |  #109

Pekka wrote in post #17306902 (external link)
On the bottom of each page is JUMP TO FORUM... command.

thanks for this, it's exactly what i was looking for

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17306909 (external link)
The "breadcrumbs", as they call it in some IT circles, is still at the top and bottom of the page. For example here, you can see the following:
FORUMS → Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff → AMASS Forum Software Talk, all of those links to different forums or sections.

Is that what you were looking for, or was it what Pekka pointed out?

yes it was what pekka pointed out...but thanks...although you may have pointed out something else i don't like "dodgerblue" color....go giants :-D

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by JM Photos.

Dec 03, 2014 00:41 |  #110

Can't stand it either! Seriously, it went from being my favorite website to one of the poorest sites I've ever come across. Secondly, this used to be a place dedicated to Canon users. That is now lost in what seems like some sort of sales gimmick.

Do they hope to gain some monetary benefits by adding all the other camera manufactures or are they in hopes of selling this "A-Mess" software?

Ralph

I guess that proves how frequently you visited the forum. This has not been a dedicated Canon forum for years...There is constant talk about Canon and Nikon in almost every thread. You seem a bit lost...

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,956 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 03, 2014 00:58 |  #111

Do they hope to gain some monetary benefits by adding all the other camera manufactures or are they in hopes of selling this "A-Mess" software?

Neither one. "They" (it's a he, actually) are responding to members' requests to add the other brands.

You can hide all the subforums you don't want to see, such as the ones for camera brands. Go far down on the main page and find "FILTER FORUMS FROM YOUR VIEW."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,113 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 03, 2014 05:24 |  #112

Ralph

Finally, in addition to what others have stated, where do you think all of these monetary gains are? The forums have been free, and I doubt too many people donate large sums of money, and there are no ads. Don't you realize this is the work of one person as more of a labor of love?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,437 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 03, 2014 05:32 |  #113

drvnbysound wrote in post #17307175 (external link)
TeamSpeed wrote in post #17307159 (external link)
Sticky threads were posted with videos, and notices about PM and subscriptions were documented too. Many members posted their thoughts as well. It wasn't a hidden affair, that is for certain. Long before Thanksgiving and bf...

Yep, again, missed those. Personally, I rarely check out the stickies unless I'm about to start a new thread and try look there before making a new thread.

Pekka also put up an announcement a few days before the transition. Up top every forum. Also present in New Posts. In red. Hard to miss.

Speaking of videos. Where are those? I just checked the stickies of this section and they aren't there... unless they're buried in that 56 page white paper thread.

Videos were in several places. During the transition when POTN was down, for instance, the Primer was there and included links to the videos. They're also in this sticky in Forum Talk that Pekka posted on 13 Nov: https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1406​871&page=1

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 03, 2014 05:35 |  #114

Surely isn't it the content of the forum that is important, and NOT the appearance of the forum.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

virsago_mk2
600 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2014 05:38 |  #115

All I can say to Pekka is:

Please hire a proper designer to design a better visual for the forum.

At the moment the overall visual of this forum is like something found in a Windows 95 software, like Encarta Encyclopaedia or some ****.

Ok, Pekka, you did a good job developing/ coding the back-end. But it's very far from being user friendly.

So sit back & go back to you drawing board please.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 03, 2014 05:38 |  #116

john crossley wrote in post #17307623 (external link)
Surely isn't it the content of the forum that is important, and NOT the appearance of the forum.

Since it is a community forum, yes the content of the forum is of great importance. Pekka also wanted to create a forum that was visually beautiful and one that had some amazing features that made functionality easier and more fun for us.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,437 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 03, 2014 05:38 |  #117

Ralph

You can't stand it. That is fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But there is no need to be rude. Pekka devoted almost 6 years of his life to this and not to make money off of it. Here is what he said about it:

AMASS software not for sale, it is a proprietary POTN forum and site platform for our community.

Please be respectful when you complain.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by JM Photos.

Dec 03, 2014 05:42 as a reply to  @ Levina de Ruijter's post |  #118

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #17307626 (external link)
All I can say to Pekka is:

Please hire a proper designer to design a better visual for the forum.

At the moment the overall visual of this forum is like something found in a Windows 95 software, like Encarta Encyclopaedia or some ****.

Ok, Pekka, you did a good job developing/ coding the back-end. But it's very far from being user friendly.

So sit back & go back to you drawing board please.

Wow, this is probably the most rude comment I've seen so far. People need to realize that the whole "90s" thing has already been mentioned about a hundred (at least) times. Also, to tell Pekka to "go back to the drawing board" is absolutely degrading. Pekka spent 5+ years coding this whole entire site from scratch. How could you disrespect someone's work by saying something like that? Be respectful...It amazes me that some people in this world still have no respect for other people's work. A comment this rude would get no response and an instant ban for life from me if I were a mod. (good thing I'm not).

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

thegunner
68 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 03, 2014 05:52 |  #119

i agree with the sentiment of the posts about the UI, but the message wasn't delivered very kindly.

the new forum software works very very well. the additional functionality is quite impressive (a huge improvement over the featureset of phpBB forums). that said, minor CSS and user flow changes are somethings that could be improved. i think there's just that last little bit of facelifting that would appease most of the complaints here.

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 5 years ago by Ralph III. (5 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2014 06:01 |  #120

You guys can pile it on if you like but this isn't just my opinion.

True, this forum hasn't been Canon only to the point of being 100% whereas a Nikon user wouldn't dare post here. It's silly to draw that conclusion and to imply I was stating such.

It however was a Canon forum given most of the threads or "specific" threads were always Canon related. Most of the Posts in such threads were Canon relevant. I think it safe to say the majority of POTN members joined because it was a Canon forum given such, etc. It has Canon written all over it. I think a Poll would clearly show that.

Two obvious examples are in the Market Place and with Google or Bing. I don't have to defend my comments and your attempts to undermine them are silly. I was simply stating facts.

*If you search the Market Place, the overwhelming list of gear "For Sale" or "Want to Buy" was always Canon relevant. Rarely did you see items listed for Nikon or Sony or other manufacturers and that says it all about this site. Now FM on the other hand it truly diversified and no comparison which makes the point.

*If you do a general search of the internet for "Canon forum" lo and behold what comes up first other than "Canon Digital Photography Forums" aka "Photography on the Net" and clearly states "For digital camera enthusiasts using Canon cameras."

http://www.bing.com …on+forum&src=IE​-SearchBox (external link)

I'm not trying to be disrespectful as this was my favorite website. However, they've taken a wonderful website for Canon users or Canon Family as it seemed, and have now lost that.

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links

29,597 views & 77 likes for this thread
Sorry to say but
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.