Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN site change

this thread is locked
shootist100
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 03, 2014 11:43 |  #1

Not a friendly change.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,949 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 03, 2014 11:47 |  #2

shootist100 wrote in post #17308460 (external link)
Not a friendly change.

We have several threads already where people are working through the new user settings, etc. Please visit the AMASS forum for those threads.

In the interim, do these things:
- go to the bottom of the page and see if you like any of the fonts you can select from to make the look better.
- go to the FYEO (for your eyes only) and read through the FAQs
- go to the FYEO account settings and play with the different margin settings
- go to the AMASS forum and read the "Read this First" post that has info, and then look at some of the help threads that are currently under way
- build up a list of changes you think are reasonable, read through the other posts to see if they have been suggested, and the site owner will take all constructive criticism into consideration for future changes
- keep in mind this is version 1.0, and there will be continuing changes over the next several days, weeks, and months, already several changes have taken place since Sunday

Hope this helps...

Some links to help:
Read this on arrival thread: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17306984
FYEO: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php
Margin Settings: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php​#settings
AMASS forum discussions/questions/​venting: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=152
Request for missing gear in gear database: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1409239&go​to=newpost
Tricks about AMASS you might not know: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17308072
Bug reporting: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1409347&go​to=newpost

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Jahled.

Dec 03, 2014 12:41 |  #3

The layout is simply horrible; just a sprawl of endless forums. Sorry whoever thought any of this was a good idea is simply a twat. The formula for websites is a simple layout and navigation, not something overwhelming or giving the feel you are lost amongst myriad strange and unwelcoming threads.

I predict others will be put off and you'll see visitors start to drop quite quickly.

This will be my last post

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,605 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 03, 2014 12:46 |  #4

Jahled wrote in post #17308686 (external link)
The layout is simply horrible; just a sprawl of endless forums. Sorry whoever thought any of this was a good idea is simply an twat. I predict others will be put off and you'll see visitors start to drop quite quickly.

Thank you for your time in the newer forum. If you come back, can we say "told you so?"

SmugMug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,949 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 03, 2014 12:46 |  #5

The layout is simply horrible; just a sprawl of endless forums. Sorry whoever thought any of this was a good idea is simply an twat. I predict others will be put off and you'll see visitors start to drop quite quickly.

Well since you won't see this, I will still reply.

Did you bother to set your forum filters? Did you bother to reorder your sections to put those most useful to the top of the Index page?

If not, then why not try that and read about all the other new configurations and features that exist?

Strangely, activity here seems to be booming and even those that didn't like the fact that change is afoot, have switched over to an attitude of liking it more. The beta team predicted that many (not all) would grow to love, based on months of testing. There are those that don't like change, they don't want to learn something new, and yes, we will lose some of them unfortunately. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 03, 2014 12:48 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #6

Set my forum filters? "reorder your sections to put those most useful to the top of the Index page?"

Hahahaha Christ, that's what i'm on about

James
Snow Leopards of Leafy London- The magic begins 5th November 20:00 hours on Animal Planet :) | Gear

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,949 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2014 12:50 |  #7

Jahled wrote in post #17308706 (external link)
Set my forum filters? "reorder your sections to put those most useful to the top of the Index page?"

Hahahaha Christ, that's what i'm on about

Like any new site you join, you have to calibrate it to your likes. I don't get all the animosity, but whatever. I tried to help, and you just come back to attack, and I don't appreciate your language. That is my cue to leave you alone, good luck, I hope you figure it all out. :(

Shootist, if you have any questions, please PM me or any other Beta tester, and we can point you to some resources to help.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,033 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 03, 2014 12:56 |  #8

The layout is simply horrible; just a sprawl of endless forums. Sorry whoever thought any of this was a good idea is simply a twat. The formula for websites is a simple layout and navigation, not something overwhelming or giving the feel you are lost amongst myriad strange and unwelcoming threads.

I predict others will be put off and you'll see visitors start to drop quite quickly.

Hi there, twat here.

This twat would like to say and ask that you give some time into using the new forum. post as if you did before and later, whatever you do not like you can make suggestions. Please get familiarize with the forum before deciding to hate it at first glance and not being able to use it.

Everything about the old POTN is here and MUCH more.

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 03, 2014 13:12 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #9

Wrong, 'any new site' you DON'T have to calibrate it to your likes. That's a nonsense. You just jump in and surf around.

There's no animosity, be less soft skinned, especially on the internet. I didn't 'attack,' I just made comments based on amazement and annoyance at your new layout, and what are you on about 'appreciating my language?' That aggrieved tone at absolutely nothing is actually a lot more offensive to anything I just wrote.

James

Jahled
Goldmember
1,498 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 03, 2014 13:18 |  #10

DTBaan wrote in post #17308737 (external link)
Hi there, twat here.

This twat would like to say and ask that you give some time into using the new forum. post as if you did before and later, whatever you do not like you can make suggestions. Please get familiarize with the forum before deciding to hate it at first glance and not being able to use it.

Everything about the old POTN is here and MUCH more.

No hate, just the observation it is just overstretched itself. You have gone from a well ordered garden to very cluttered field. As an infrequent visitor I don't have the inclination to even be bothered to find out where everything is, or how to manage my look around. That's what i'm on about.

James

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,239 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 03, 2014 13:20 as a reply to  @ Jahled's post |  #11

Maybe a trip to Bob's Pickle Emporium would help here? :p

Mark

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,605 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 03, 2014 13:20 |  #12

Jahled wrote in post #17308794 (external link)
Wrong, 'any new site' you DON'T have to calibrate it to your likes. That's a nonsense. You just jump in and surf around.

There's no animosity, be less soft skinned, especially on the internet. I didn't 'attack,' I just made comments based on amazement and annoyance at your new layout, and what are you on about 'appreciating my language?' That aggrieved tone at absolutely nothing is actually a lot more offensive to anything I just wrote.

twat
twät/Submit
noun vulgar slang
1. a woman's genitals.
2. a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.

You attacked from the word go.

SmugMug (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,656 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 03, 2014 13:20 |  #13

Just so I'm fully up to speed, how many "last posts" are you going to make?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 03, 2014 13:24 |  #14

In most of the world, calling another person "simply an twat" [Sic] would be interpreted as animosity and/or attack.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 03, 2014 13:28 |  #15

shootist100 wrote in post #17308460 (external link)
Not a friendly change.

Could you elaborate? I know its only your tenth post in 6 years so we hope you could give us one more posts explaining what isnt friendly and what suggestions you might have for improvement.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

sponsored links

4,337 views & 7 likes for this thread
POTN site change
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.