NOTE from Pekka:
This thread is closed now.
The information below is in many parts outdated by later versions of forum.
The main orientation tip is: Go though each item in https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php and you'll get a good idea what is possible. Enjoy!
Here are a list of things I have compiled that seemed to be useful to others. Instead of posting this over and over, I am going to put this into a thread that I (and others?) can use to point the occasional rant or question about the new forum functionality and looks. This won't address alot of issues/concerns, but should be useful info for the casual comment, I hope. The intent isn't to create a new FAQ thread, but something more like a new forum primer with input from others where they found things to help them.
For those of you that have made the hurdle, definitely add links and screen shots that you found useful to your transition, it can only serve to help someone else, like how to multi-quote a reply, how to use the reply editor with all the new features, framing of photos, embedding photos, uploading, etc.
Some pointers in acclimating to the new changes from the old forum design and function:
- Go to the bottom of the page and see if you like any of the fonts you can select from to make the look better.
- Go to the FYEO (for your eyes only) and read through the FAQs.
- Go to the FYEO account settings and play with the different margin settings.
- Go to the AMASS forum and read the "Read this First" post that has info, and then look at some of the help threads that are currently under way.
- Build up a list of changes you think are reasonable, read through the other posts to see if they have been suggested, and the site owner will take all constructive criticism into consideration for future changes.
- Keep in mind this is version 1.0, and there will be continuing changes over the next several days, weeks, and months, already several changes have taken place since Sunday
- Ask questions (don't complain or be derogatory), there are many that will help from the beta test team, as well as those that have overcome the initial shock of how different this is, and now love the new site.
- Search is very powerful here, and you can locate it at the top in the site index links, also it stores a history of your searches so you can go back to a previous one.
- New and Followed at the top give you quick views of what is newly posted, as well as a filter to see your subscriptions and your started threads.
- Go to the forum index, and at the bottom are 2 functions, one allows you filter forums you don't care about, and the other allows you to rearrange sections. You can use the short view button at the top to make this a bit easier. See Chet's reply #11 below fore the screenshot. NOT ONLY can you rearrange sections, you can rearrange forums under a section amongst themselves, bringing those that you frequent more often to the top if you would like.
- To see the buy/sell forums, you need to have been a member for 30 days and have at least 30 replies/posts. The more you interact with others here on POTN, the faster and easier it will be to get those 30. The more material in your interactions, the better impression buyers and sellers might have of you.
- All old sale and buy threads were not ported over, so if you are searching for something from the old boards, it won't be here unless they were reposted by members.
- All PMs were not ported over either, however, they are safe and sound, and once time has been freed up to work on things like that, there may be a way, should the need arise, to pull a members' old PMs. In the future, however, PMs should never be used to store contact info or license keys, unless you take the time to export them out to a file you can store separately.
- Avatars will dynamically size up and down depending on the length of the reply given. Reply with a one liner, and your avatar will be small, reply with an essay, and your avatar will be large.
Some links to help:
Upon Your Arrival: Read this on arrival thread
For Your Eyes Only: FYEO (with many FAQ links)
Account Settings/Margins: Margin Settings, get rid of all the white space
Old POTN Subscriptions: Bringing over your old POTN Subscriptions
AMASS Whitepaper: Original Whitepaper from June 2013 to now
Discuss/Vent Your Frustrations: AMASS forum discussions/questions/venting
Questions on Now and Future....Ask your questions!
Bug Reports: Bug reporting
Love and Learn: What to love about AMASS (things you might learn)
See Missing or Incorrect Gear?: Request for missing or improperly categorized gear in gear database
Gear Photos for POTN: Help with supplying POTN gear images for database
Future Changes: Future changes roadmap thread
Love Or Dislike the New Look?: Poll here, be respectful and constructive
Another Poll, More Fun Spirited!: Poll by Chet, need we say anything more?