Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Helping Those Coming to the New Forum Since Going Live

this thread is locked
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by Pekka. (23 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2014 12:09 |  #1

NOTE from Pekka:
This thread is closed now.
The information below is in many parts outdated by later versions of forum.

The main orientation tip is: Go though each item in https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php and you'll get a good idea what is possible. Enjoy!

------------

Here are a list of things I have compiled that seemed to be useful to others. Instead of posting this over and over, I am going to put this into a thread that I (and others?) can use to point the occasional rant or question about the new forum functionality and looks. This won't address alot of issues/concerns, but should be useful info for the casual comment, I hope. The intent isn't to create a new FAQ thread, but something more like a new forum primer with input from others where they found things to help them.

For those of you that have made the hurdle, definitely add links and screen shots that you found useful to your transition, it can only serve to help someone else, like how to multi-quote a reply, how to use the reply editor with all the new features, framing of photos, embedding photos, uploading, etc.

======

Some pointers in acclimating to the new changes from the old forum design and function:

- Go to the bottom of the page and see if you like any of the fonts you can select from to make the look better.

- Go to the FYEO (for your eyes only) and read through the FAQs.

- Go to the FYEO account settings and play with the different margin settings.

- Go to the AMASS forum and read the "Read this First" post that has info, and then look at some of the help threads that are currently under way.

- Build up a list of changes you think are reasonable, read through the other posts to see if they have been suggested, and the site owner will take all constructive criticism into consideration for future changes.

- Keep in mind this is version 1.0, and there will be continuing changes over the next several days, weeks, and months, already several changes have taken place since Sunday

- Ask questions (don't complain or be derogatory), there are many that will help from the beta test team, as well as those that have overcome the initial shock of how different this is, and now love the new site.

- Search is very powerful here, and you can locate it at the top in the site index links, also it stores a history of your searches so you can go back to a previous one.

- New and Followed at the top give you quick views of what is newly posted, as well as a filter to see your subscriptions and your started threads.

- Go to the forum index, and at the bottom are 2 functions, one allows you filter forums you don't care about, and the other allows you to rearrange sections. You can use the short view button at the top to make this a bit easier. See Chet's reply #11 below fore the screenshot. NOT ONLY can you rearrange sections, you can rearrange forums under a section amongst themselves, bringing those that you frequent more often to the top if you would like.

- To see the buy/sell forums, you need to have been a member for 30 days and have at least 30 replies/posts. The more you interact with others here on POTN, the faster and easier it will be to get those 30. The more material in your interactions, the better impression buyers and sellers might have of you.

- All old sale and buy threads were not ported over, so if you are searching for something from the old boards, it won't be here unless they were reposted by members.

- All PMs were not ported over either, however, they are safe and sound, and once time has been freed up to work on things like that, there may be a way, should the need arise, to pull a members' old PMs. In the future, however, PMs should never be used to store contact info or license keys, unless you take the time to export them out to a file you can store separately.

- Avatars will dynamically size up and down depending on the length of the reply given. Reply with a one liner, and your avatar will be small, reply with an essay, and your avatar will be large.

Some links to help:

Upon Your Arrival: Read this on arrival thread
For Your Eyes Only: FYEO (with many FAQ links)
Account Settings/Margins: Margin Settings, get rid of all the white space
Old POTN Subscriptions: Bringing over your old POTN Subscriptions
AMASS Whitepaper: Original Whitepaper from June 2013 to now

Discuss/Vent Your Frustrations: AMASS forum discussions/questions/​venting
Questions on Now and Future....Ask your questions!
Bug Reports: Bug reporting
Love and Learn: What to love about AMASS (things you might learn)

See Missing or Incorrect Gear?: Request for missing or improperly categorized gear in gear database
Gear Photos for POTN: Help with supplying POTN gear images for database

Future Changes: Future changes roadmap thread
Love Or Dislike the New Look?: Poll here, be respectful and constructive
Another Poll, More Fun Spirited!: Poll by Chet, need we say anything more? :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,831 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 03, 2014 12:25 |  #2

How to use multiquote (MQ)

Choose the posts you want to quote in advance, because once you're in the post editor, it's hard to go back and add one. Press the MQ button on each post. Then press QUOTE or REPLY on any of them or press POST TO THREAD.

Now you have the post editor. Press Quote in the toolbox. A panel will appear. Your MQ selections will be in the panel as rectangles containing the posters' names. Grab the Quote panel and move it anywhere, a little or a lot, to keep it visible. If you lose it, press Quote again to restore it.

Hovering on a rectangle reveals the first bit of text in the post. This is helpful if you've MQed more than one post by the same person. Clicking the rectangle inserts that post into your typing window, ready for your reply. You can insert the posts in any order. You'll also see a button for inserting them all at once.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 04, 2014 08:17 |  #3

I tried to do this visual to help with how Multi-Quoting works.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,372 posts
Gallery: 435 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 04, 2014 11:39 |  #4

Oy-vey! I need to print out the instructions.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Lester ­ Wareham
28,209 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 04, 2014 12:54 |  #5

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17310910 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=173​10910&i=i39032964
forum: AMASS Forum Software Talk

OK TS, you are the official AMASS technical author!

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,831 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 04, 2014 13:01 |  #6

Lester Wareham wrote in post #17311604 (external link)
OK TS, you are the official AMASS technical author!

:-(

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 04, 2014 13:29 |  #7

Thanks Pekka for the update :)

and of course your hard work

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 04, 2014 13:42 |  #8

OhLook wrote in post #17311625 (external link)
:-(

+1 for many reasons!

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,802 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 04, 2014 17:55 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17310910 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=173​10910&i=i39032964
forum: AMASS Forum Software Talk

Thank you! :-D I couldn't seem figure it out by just reading everyone's instructions.

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Dec 04, 2014 21:21 |  #10

For those wanting to know how to dig through old passwords in Firefox, if you have it set up to remember your passwords, here is how you do that.

HOSTED PHOTO

For those with Chrome, here is their help page that describes how to do it. I could create a pictorial if that would help.

https://support.google​.com …?p=settings_pas​sword&rd=1 (external link)

For those with Safari...

http://www.cultofmac.c​om …ds-in-safari-6-os-x-tips/ (external link)

For those with Safari on Apple mobile devices...

http://www.igeeksblog.​com …fari-for-iphone-and-ipad/ (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,215 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 04, 2014 22:45 |  #11

HOSTED PHOTO

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 05, 2014 12:10 |  #12

Great Thread! Thanks guys!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 05, 2014 20:12 |  #13

To search current forum or current thread:

Go to the forum page or even the thread page, then open the search tool by hitting SEARCH at the top. If you select in threads, a toolbox will open, and at the top in a large box will be the current thread, select that to lock in that thread. If you select in forums, the same thing happens, but the forum will be in the top box, select it and/or more down below. Enter your text in the title or the body field, and hit search.

Your last search remains active, hit reset to clear it out. To get to previous searches, hit the history in the lower corner.
(See next post for a screen shot)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,215 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 05, 2014 20:48 |  #14

HOSTED PHOTO

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 06, 2014 11:40 |  #15

I'm confused about the threads I followed/subscribed to.

In the past I'd catch up on my subscribed threads by visiting usercp.php. That page showed a list of basically every thread I'd replied to, which had since received new replies.

"Followed & Own Threads" *sounds* like what I want, but it isn't actually showing that stuff. It shows maybe a dozen ancient threads that I personally had posted. It doesn't show *any* of the numerous threads I was subscribed to and following on an ongoing basis.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I can't figure out what.

Thanks!

Gear | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

27,216 views & 18 likes for this thread
Helping Those Coming to the New Forum Since Going Live
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.