Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jan 2014 (Sunday) 10:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Various SD cards' writing speed tested in my 70D

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 14, 2014 09:48 |  #31

tongki wrote in post #16580247 (external link)
I am talking about camera burst speed, not card read speed, Canon already state it clearly on the specs sheet,

gabebalazs wrote in post #16580275 (external link)
What I was measuring here, albeit not super scientifically or accurately, is how long does it take to clear the full buffer of the 70D with 5 different SD cards.

Tongki has missed the point, I think the title of the thread makes it pretty clear.

I don't think you get it unless you've been in the situation where you've been snapping away and then start cursing because the buffer is taking an eternity to clear.

hollis_f wrote in post #16581582 (external link)
When I saw Gabe's results I instantly assumed that the Sony/Sandisk differences were because Sandisk label their cards with write speeds and Sony with read speeds (and that Sony's write speeds were slower).

Me too.

Joel

sponsored links
dufflover
315 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 14, 2014 15:29 |  #32

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16604581 (external link)
I don't think you get it unless you've been in the situation where you've been snapping away and then start cursing because the buffer is taking an eternity to clear.

Exactly my issue with the 60D even though it was "better" than my 50D, and I eventually stepped up that 50D to a 7D (the other issue being number of AF points for slow panning).

Even with more controlled bursts with the 60D, like 3~4 shots, another 3~4 shots, rather than holding it down the whole time, the buffer clearing was so slow that it still couldn't keep up with that and I'd starting losing shots say 10 seconds in.

"Duffman, could you bring in two bottles of smooth, untainted DUFF?""Oh Yeah!"
Main gear: Canon 7D, Canon 60D, Sig 120-300/2.8 OS, Can 100-400, Can 70-200/2.8L II, Can 1.4x-II, Can 2x-III, Tam 17-50/2.8, Tam 90/2.8 macro

My Flickr (feel free to critique!) (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 14, 2014 15:33 |  #33

dufflover wrote in post #16605464 (external link)
Exactly my issue with the 60D even though it was "better" than my 50D, and I eventually stepped up that 50D to a 7D (the other issue being number of AF points for slow panning).

Even with more controlled bursts with the 60D, like 3~4 shots, another 3~4 shots, rather than holding it down the whole time, the buffer clearing was so slow that it still couldn't keep up with that and I'd starting losing shots say 10 seconds in.

Unfortunately Canon screwed the pooch with their SD implementation - it dates back to the 1D series and is an issue for 5D3 users as well.

Joel

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 14, 2014 19:35 |  #34

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16605475 (external link)
Unfortunately Canon screwed the pooch with their SD implementation - it dates back to the 1D series and is an issue for 5D3 users as well.

Post from another forum:

The 70D uses the new UHS-1 speed bus for SD cards. This bus is MUCH faster than the old SD speeds. You can currently find cards with a transfer speed nearly as fast as CF cards (you pay a premium for these high-speed cards, but you can get them.)

I always suggest users buy at least two cards. If you're the sort of person who removes the card from the camera and inserts it into your computer to transfer your images (which is much faster than using the USB cable attached to the camera), then one of these days you may find you go to shoot, get the dreaded "no card" message, and realize that's because your card is back at your home/office inside your computer (don't ask me how I know this.) <embarassing grin>

I always keep at least one spare card in my camera bag ... just in case. Although, in my defense, the last time this happened, it was one of my buddies who left HIS card at home and I was the one who had a spare that he could use for the day.

Tim Campbell
5D II, 5D III, 60Da

If this contributor from the Canon Corporate website is correct, I seriously doubt Canon "screwed the pooch" on the 70D SD card interface.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

dufflover
315 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 15, 2014 00:24 |  #35

nah Canon knew exactly what they were doing with the 5D3 to keep it away from the 1D-X

"Duffman, could you bring in two bottles of smooth, untainted DUFF?""Oh Yeah!"
Main gear: Canon 7D, Canon 60D, Sig 120-300/2.8 OS, Can 100-400, Can 70-200/2.8L II, Can 1.4x-II, Can 2x-III, Tam 17-50/2.8, Tam 90/2.8 macro

My Flickr (feel free to critique!) (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 15, 2014 20:14 |  #36

DaveKosiba wrote in post #16606117 (external link)
If this contributor from the Canon Corporate website is correct, I seriously doubt Canon "screwed the pooch" on the 70D SD card interface.

I never mentioned the 70D in my comment and it's pretty evident from Gabe's original post that Canon has addressed the issue at least where this body is concerned. They certainly did with the 60D in making the jump from CF to SD and not updating the interface.

Joel

DaveKosiba
597 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 15, 2014 20:34 |  #37

Thanks for the clarification.

EOS 6D MkII, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 85 1.8, 70-200L f/4 IS, 16-35 f/4L IS, 430 EXII, Luma Cinch Strap

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by joeblack2022.

Dec 03, 2014 12:36 |  #38

I seem to have stumbled onto some iffy behaviour regarding the buffer and shooting in reduced RAW sizes.

Please visit the thread here for the specifics and if someone can help confirm my results that would help too.

Thanks!

EDIT: It turned out be a non-issue. It seems to be a glitch in the viewfinder display and doesn't indicate number of shots available correctly.

Joel

sponsored links

18,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Various SD cards' writing speed tested in my 70D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.