Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Nov 2014 (Friday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WD HDD Choices

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 28, 2014 18:07 |  #1

I need to up the storage size in my PC.

Is the extra money worth it to buy a 2TB WD Black? vs a 3TB WD Red? Greens are out of the question because I figure their read/write times wouldn't be able to handle LR shuffling the RAWs around. (Someone correct me if I am wrong please)

It would be a secondary drive (no OS or APPS) for storage of RAWs and family videos only.
Currently I have:

500 GB WD Blue for OS/APPS
1 TB WD Black for photos/video
250 GB Seagate for LR to write the preview files to

The idea would be for me to introduce the 2TB/3TB drive in and move my 1TB Black as a OS/App/Games disc and then phase the 250 gb out and use the 500 GB as the LR preview disk.

I don't trust Seagate so that is kind of out of the question.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 28, 2014 18:45 |  #2

Red is for NAS devices. Black is for performance. Blue is all general purpose. Green is economy, IMHO mostly for backups.

Suggest you get an SSD for OS, programs, cache and catalog, that will speed things up hugely. Samsung 840 (external link) or Samsung 850 (external link) is my pick, 128GB is sufficient - my Windows 7 install is 50GB with OS, programs (office, photography, development) and plenty of random things on it, but no swap, scratch, cache, games, or media. I have those on other drives.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

monty87
297 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 01, 2014 15:43 |  #3

I have had very bad luck with Seagate drives too. Specially the ones larger than 1.5TB. In my NAS box I have replaced all seagate drives with WD Red, and so far very impressed with those. If you are going to use it as single drive, than I would recommend the WD Black. If going with Raid then go with the Red.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

asdpro
30 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 01, 2014 16:57 |  #4

Tim is right! Ive the same config.

Bleufire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 7 years ago by Bleufire.

Dec 01, 2014 17:31 |  #5

Ok, I will grab a Black 2TB then and go from there.
I won't be RAID'ing them but I do plan on getting a NAS (i have been telling myself this for 3-4 years now... lol)

I would go SSD but I have a hard time shoveling the money for something like that. I see a SSD as a luxury and not a necessity for my purposes. I am just a hobbyist photog with a 3 year old and another due in April. My wife has been killin the current setup with a NEX 5n videos and RAWs along with me and my 5D RAWs. (Although i think it is more to her videos she takes of the kid)

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,537 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited over 7 years ago by Bob_A.

Dec 01, 2014 22:12 as a reply to  @ Bleufire's post |  #6

How much space do you need for images, etc? You can currently buy a decent 120GB SSD for about $70 (not the best/fastest ... but decent), which is plenty big enough for you OS, programs, LR previews and backups. You just need to cull backups once in awhile to keep the drive from filling up.

You'd have 1.75GB of space on your three other drives for files, which is a decent amount of space, especially if you use LR and are making virtual copies instead of saving a ton of jpegs or TIFs. After switching to LR my HDD use went down to about a third of where I was running with my ACR to PS CSx workflow. I currently have 31,381 images in my LR catalog and have used only 1 TB of a drive that also contains all of my email, music and MS Office files.

Even a "slow" SSD will give a pretty reasonable performance boost to a 3 year old machine used for LR.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2014 23:59 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Red is for the NAS enclosure so it won't run to it's full potential if you install it on your desktop computers

I would never get Green drives as they, imo, fail. I've had two drives delivered to me and all were faulty on delivery

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,570 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 02, 2014 00:26 |  #8

RichSoansPhotos wrote in post #17303381 (external link)
Red is for the NAS enclosure so it won't run to it's full potential if you install it on your desktop computers

I would never get Green drives as they, imo, fail. I've had two drives delivered to me and all were faulty on delivery

Greens are fine for secondary or backup drives. I even ran a few in my NAS for a while, although I did disable the idle timer which is where most of the problems come from. They're not so good as a primary drive since the idle timer will cause it to wear out pretty quickly.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 02, 2014 13:54 |  #9

Just for storage, you get more space per dollar then SSD. I would love to have a 2TB SSD but my wallet wouldn't like it at all.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 02, 2014 23:08 |  #10

I've used greens, blacks and now REDs. Red is the new black as far as i know and they are in my opinion the most reliable.

Greens will be fast enough for what you need.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

axsys
56 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 03, 2014 12:37 |  #11

Bleufire wrote in post #17301909 (external link)
Ok, I will grab a Black 2TB then and go from there.
I won't be RAID'ing them but I do plan on getting a NAS (i have been telling myself this for 3-4 years now... lol)

I would go SSD but I have a hard time shoveling the money for something like that. I see a SSD as a luxury and not a necessity for my purposes. I am just a hobbyist photog with a 3 year old and another due in April. My wife has been killin the current setup with a NEX 5n videos and RAWs along with me and my 5D RAWs. (Although i think it is more to her videos she takes of the kid)

SSD performance is definitely worth the extra money. To me it is no longer a luxury in my personal computer, but now a requirement. I even noticed a dramatic speed improvement coming from a WD Raptor.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 03, 2014 13:16 |  #12

I don't think I'll ever buy another WD or Seagate drive. I'll stick with Hitachi and Samsung (so long as WD and Seagate don't screw them up, too).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 03, 2014 13:21 |  #13

I have a WD Black 1TB and I love it!

I also have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD and I will never run a computer without one again! Crazy fast boot times, all my Adobe programs are installed on it. I have noticed significant load times with all Adobe programs (Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver are what I use daily). The transition from Lightroom to Photoshop is really fast, and even export times from Lightroom are amazingly fast now.

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
WD HDD Choices
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.