Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 03 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 06:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to turn off thumbnail images at left

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2014 06:41 |  #1

How do I turn off the "Added to Forum Gallery" images displayed at left? All forums, all images. I did search but could not find the answer. Thx.

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,291 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 03, 2014 06:47 |  #2

I would like to know this, as well.

scriveyn
Goldmember
1,516 posts
Gallery: 556 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 03, 2014 09:41 |  #3

I second this. I find it takes up too much space and detracts from the purpose of the list of threads. I'd like to put this "new gallery images" box elsewhere. - Will I be able to rearrange boxes/elements like this?

Thx,
Frank

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 03, 2014 10:12 |  #4

A way to hide the tumbnail images to the left is reduce the with of your browser to 600 pixels and then they will be hidden.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2014 16:07 |  #5

mmmfotografie wrote in post #17308207 (external link)
A way to hide the tumbnail images to the left is reduce the with of your browser to 600 pixels and then they will be hidden.

Appreciate the reply, but that's kind of a mickey-mouse work-a-round. Then when you browse somewhere else, you have to reset to browser and so forth.

A much better solution would be a setting in AMASS to turn it off.

I wish somebody would let us know where that setting is.

Rey
571 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 03, 2014 16:51 |  #6

YES, I find it too visually distracting when I want to quickly scan through a list of threads. There should be an option to turn it off.

Canon 5D MKII • BG-E6 • Canon EOS-M • Canon 85mm F1.2L II USM • Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM • Canon 16-35mm F2.8L II USM • Canon 24-70mm F2.8L USM • Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM • Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART • Canon Speedlight 600 EX-RT • Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Canon Speedlite 430EX II • Gitzo 3530 • Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,786 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 03, 2014 16:54 |  #7

Rey wrote in post #17309375 (external link)
YES, I find it too visually distracting when I want to quickly scan through a list of threads. There should be an option to turn it off.

I'll add that switch in to the do list. Although, I do not understand why they would bother anyone, and it is all about getting information to people what new images are there in that forum. But my mileage obviously varies :)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

MaryV
34 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 03, 2014 17:36 |  #8

I'm left handed and scroll with my left thumb and keep accidently opening up images. So I would love to either be able to switch the thumbnails to the right side or close them.

5d Mark III, 6D, SL1, 24-105L, 100L macro, 7D, 18-135, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-300, Canon M, 18-55, 22

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Numenorean. (2 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2014 17:38 |  #9

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17307736 (external link)
How do I turn off the "Added to Forum Gallery" images displayed at left? All forums, all images. I did search but could not find the answer. Thx.

Install Ad-Block Plus, click the ABP button and choose "Block Element" and pick it, or add "photography-on-the.net###gimages" and "photography-on-the.net###gimages_head​" to the filter list. This won't make the forums any wider though, just blocks the images from showing. You could probably write a GreaseMonkey script that would fix that though.

Gear List

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2014 18:00 |  #10

Yes, kill the thumbnails and allow avatars to be turned off. They are frickin huge.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,158 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2014 19:18 |  #11

Pekka wrote in post #17309380 (external link)
I'll add that switch in to the do list. Although, I do not understand why they would bother anyone, and it is all about getting information to people what new images are there in that forum. But my mileage obviously varies :)

Thank you, Pekka for adding that option.

Not that they really bother anybody. But for me, I'm here solely for knowledge, not image sharing but I do periodically click on an image and comment to support.

But one thing to consider is the forum design. You've created something with a lot of nice, white open space. In the world of typography that's a good thing. The image thumbnails tend to muddy it up. Makes pages too "busy." They just don't quite fit the nice clean design. But, just my opinion.

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 03, 2014 21:50 |  #12

Numenorean wrote in post #17309473 (external link)
Install Ad-Block Plus, click the ABP button and choose "Block Element" and pick it, or add "photography-on-the.net###gimages" and "photography-on-the.net###gimages_head​" to the filter list. This won't make the forums any wider though, just blocks the images from showing. You could probably write a GreaseMonkey script that would fix that though.

If anyone uses ABP (I highly recommend it) this is a great solution. I am going to try it when I get back to my desktop computer.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by jocau. (2 edits in all)

Dec 08, 2014 11:43 |  #13

You can also add the following filter in AdBlock Plus:

photography-on-the.net###gimages_td

That takes care of the whitespace in front of the threads, but it aligns the threads a bit too much to the left, which isn't ideal either. I just don't get it why disabling the forum gallery images isn't an option in version 1.0 of the new forum. The fact that a lot of people weren't going to like this is something you could have seen coming from miles away.

As it stands now, I'm not a big fan of the new forum. Readability has taken a (big) hit for me since 90% of the new forum is white/black or some shade of grey. My eyes don't know where to go because of the almost colourless look.

The new forum could also use an inverted look, where the background is dark and the font color is a light color. I find this much easier on the eyes.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,880 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by OhLook.

Dec 08, 2014 11:56 |  #14

jocau wrote in post #17320556 (external link)
The new forum could also use an inverted look, where the background is dark and the font color is a light color. I find this much easier on the eyes.

A few others have asked for the same thing. This request surprises me because I once studied design in print advertising--it was part of my job--and found that it was well established, in research, that black on white is easier to read than white on black.

An advantage of the new custom-made software is that you may be able to get such requests granted. With vBulletin or phpbb, choices are very few.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 08, 2014 12:16 |  #15

OhLook wrote in post #17320577 (external link)
A few others have asked for the same thing. This request surprises me because I once studied design in print advertising--it was part of my job--and found that it was well established, in research, that black on white is easier to read than white on black.

An advantage of the new custom-made software is that you may be able to get such requests granted. With vBulletin or phpbb, choices are very few.

To be honest, I'm registered on another vBulletin forum where you can easily switch between a light and a dark theme at the bottom of the page.

Now regarding the dark (inverted) theme... Take a look at the following situation:

You're in your (bed)room at night, possibly watching TV (or sleeping) and you have no lights on. At this point the pupil of your eye is (very) large since it's pretty dark inside the room. As soon as you use your smartphone/tablet to browse the forum, you'll be presented with a large chunk of white which will force your pupil to close, but the feeling that comes with it is a little unpleasant (almost as if someone is shining in your eyes with a flashlight). That's where a dark (inverted) theme could do wonders.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links

3,919 views & 3 likes for this thread
How to turn off thumbnail images at left
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.