Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 23:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sorry to say but

this thread is locked
lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 03, 2014 14:44 |  #151

the flying moose wrote in post #17307306 (external link)
Also, clicking on that has no effect on the text on the home page. The text is still very small. If I make the text larger using the browser, it makes other pages way too big. So my options are to use a separate browser for POTN and keep the text large or use it as is and sit way closer to the screen. I'll try and upload a picture.

I'm not sure how you feel about chrome browser(maybe some others but it's all I use now) but it remembers zoom lever per URL. I pretty much have every site has a lot of text I want to read at 150%, thing like flickr are left at 100% and with text turned up to lost my reading glasses I run this site at 125%.

sponsored links
thegunner
68 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 03, 2014 17:06 |  #152

Pekka wrote in post #17307672 (external link)
I will look into UI issues starting from today. This is version 1 and have been up two days, all the feedback will be taken into account. The first to be redesigned is the top menus.

I will also start digging into different color schemes which will include font changes with scheme.

pekka, thanks for all your hard work. i truly mean that. it's no easy feat to juggle backend and frontend work.

my comment wasn't that of criticism, just that there was room for improvement in the look and usage flows.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 03, 2014 17:31 |  #153

The new forum has many new nice features and an overall improvement, but there sure has been a surge in "crap" postings by people who seem to want to get their post counts up to 100 for the marketplace. I hope this subsides soon, because it is very distracting. If it continues indefinitely it'll sure be a problem that needs addressing.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,752 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 03, 2014 17:32 |  #154

Tony-S wrote in post #17309455 (external link)
The new forum has many new nice features and an overall improvement, but there sure has been a surge in "crap" postings by people who seem to want to get their post counts up to 100 for the marketplace. I hope this subsides soon, because it is very distracting. If it continues indefinitely it'll sure be a problem that needs addressing.

Since yesterday marketplace has a 30/30 rule.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 03, 2014 17:39 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #155

That should help. And thanks for the effort on the new system Pekka, it seems to be a very nice improvement.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Ralph III.

Dec 03, 2014 18:02 as a reply to  @ post 17307670 |  #156

JM Photos.... I see what you are saying, but what is the point of your statement? All users here can hide any section of the forum now to only display the sections that they are interested in.

Yes, that is a good feature but it isn't going to be as flawless as you portray. I may be able to hide entire "sections" but the system cannot ascertain and allow "topics" I might have found interesting.

People are going to naturally gravitate toward specific or certain threads which I may have blocked. Whereas in the past the overwhelming input by POTN members would have been Canon oriented, therefor there was no reason to block any thread.

We have now lost one of the greatest and most beneficial common denominators of POTN members which the website exclaimed almost as a motto, "For digital camera enthusiasts using Canon cameras."

JM Photos.... They can literally filter out ALL non-Canon threads and it will be the exact same forum content as before.

No, you are mistaken and I couldn't disagree with you more. I've given a few simple examples already in a thread I started HERE............ https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1409517

Sorry, I used to be able to insert the "link" in the word "HERE". I don't know how to do that presently or whether it can be done. Now I have to actually post the link itself.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, as one example. The Market Place ("For Sale" or "Want to Buy") will eventually be flooded with all types of non-Canon specific gear such as FM is. It's quite tedious looking through the Market Place on FM but they've at least got a filter system, albeit still poor given you have to weed through all the non-Canon specific Third Party gear (Tamron for Nikon, Sigma for Pentax, Sigma for Sony, Tokina for Canon).

POTN has no filter system at all that I see. So we'll have to look through every Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Panasonic listing in finding something or in answering a request for Canon specific gear.

JM Photos....Just because we allow more non-Canon based threads now doesn't mean anything. I'm still trying to get what point you're trying to get across.

Well, POTN has lost what set it apart from the others. I mean I can join dozens of generic "Photography Forums" in talking about generic photography related subjects but where can I now go to find a Canon user forum where we can do the same?

This site is no different than FM or Digital Grin with a few exceptions, they now look significantly better and are more user friendly...

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2014 18:03 |  #157

vipergts831 wrote in post #17303345 (external link)
Give it more time. Try stuff around. Its actually a very smart design if you try some of the features introduced with it.

It looks like a remade version of what functionality was before but in an obnoxious interface designed for children with big pictures and primary colors.

Not sure why post numbers have to be shown all over the place.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2014 18:06 |  #158

groundloop wrote in post #17303974 (external link)
I

ALSO.... I miss being able to mouse over a thread title and seeing the first few sentences of the first post in that thread, that feature can be a real time-saver.

AND.... while I'm at it, I see that 'date posted' doesn't show up anymore. IMO that will be missed.

mouse? Your still using a pc? It's only tablets for me.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,866 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2014 18:07 |  #159

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17309538 (external link)
It looks like a remade version of what functionality was before but in an obnoxious interface designed for children with big pictures and primary colors.

Not sure why post numbers have to be shown all over the place.

??? The old POTN has post numbers everywhere too. There seems to be a general lack of memory over what the old one has vs now. And how does that really bug you or interfere with discussions with others?

As to Ralph, alot of the points you have outlined are YOUR OPINION, that others don't share. The gear part of the site is great to me, regardless of whether you find it cluttered. The post counts show up under the user avatar now. Who cares if this isn't just Canon, we already had so many other discussions about other products, and in fact respected and contributory members had switched to other brands, but wanted to stay around in the forum, now they can. You can indeed filter forums from view, and they will filter from the other lists and views as well, if they don't know, Pekka will tweak things I am sure.

In one breath, you say to use Vbulletin, it works, but then you complain that this forum now looks like others, when it already did before, but doesn't now, since many use Vbulletin. And no FM isn't better at all, not in any sense whatsoever. The ONLY thing FM has that works well is the seller feedback tools for sellers and buyers. Nothing else looks great, and it gets worse each day. My sale threads now have 2 bump buttons for some dumb reason. I am very active over there too, and don't like it. It also isn't moderated at all, or at least to any degree that makes it nice to frequent.

You will either have to live with what is here, wait for more changes to occur over time to see if they match your needs, or move on, there are no other choices left to you. ???

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2014 18:14 |  #160

Ralph III wrote in post #17309536 (external link)
Yes, that is a good feature but it isn't going to be as flawless as you portray. I may be able to hide entire "sections" but the system cannot ascertain and allow "topics" I might have found interesting.

People are going to naturally gravitate toward specific or certain threads which I may have blocked. Whereas in the past the overwhelming input by POTN members would have been Canon oriented, therefor there was no reason to block any thread.

We have now lost one of the greatest and most beneficial common denominators of POTN members which the website exclaimed almost as a motto, "For digital camera enthusiasts using Canon cameras."

I agree. The whole reason I choose POTN over the others was because it was primarily Canon. In fact, POTN is the first site that pops up if you search "Canon forums" on google.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,866 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 03, 2014 18:20 |  #161

The world just got a little bigger for you then. It was announced a year and a half ago that POTN was moving to multiple brands. It should not have been a surprise.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 7D Mark II
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

i-G12
Wat?
1,721 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2014 18:25 |  #162

N2bnfunn wrote in post #17303339 (external link)
I hate this new format.... Please can we go back to the old forum.....

Settle down bro.

After just a couple of days one can see the potential of the new software.

Give it some time. The forums have some great features. Some stuff yo won't use. Some stuff is awesome.

There are going to be lots of enhancement/changes down the road so just settle in and enjoy the ride!

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,635 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 03, 2014 18:28 |  #163

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17309580 (external link)
The world just got a little bigger for you then. It was announced a year and a half ago that POTN was moving to multiple brands. It should not have been a surprise.

Well it was. I'm a member of 3 other forums of various hobbies. Each time a significant change occurred, not only was it announced and sent out via PM, it was also sent out via email. Expecting a member to read through extremely long "stickies" to find out information isn't the way to go IMO.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,752 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 03, 2014 18:31 |  #164

Ralph III wrote in post #17309536 (external link)
Anyhow, as one example. The Market Place ("For Sale" or "Want to Buy") will eventually be flooded with all types of non-Canon specific gear such as FM is. It's quite tedious looking through the Market Place on FM but they've at least got a filter system, albeit still poor given you have to weed through all the non-Canon specific Third Party gear (Tamron for Nikon, Sigma for Pentax, Sigma for Sony, Tokina for Canon).

POTN has no filter system at all that I see. So we'll have to look through every Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Panasonic listing in finding something or in answering a request for Canon specific gear.

I have told that marketplace will get a major update in time. Integration to gear database, alerts for chosen gear, apps for mobile, etc. So your points are taken and will be handled.

So many people have moved from Canon in last years. In here you do not have to move away, just move to another section.

I can say I am very excited to see here photos from all brands, and read discussion on doing photography from all photographers regardless what brand they use.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,923 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 03, 2014 18:33 |  #165

Pekka wrote in post #17309611 (external link)
I have told that marketplace will get a major update in time. Integration to gear database, alerts for chosen gear, apps for mobile, etc. So your points are taken and will be handled.

So many people have moved from Canon in last years. In here you do not have to move away, just move to another section.

I can say I am very excited to see here photos from all brands, and read discussion on doing photography from all photographers regardless what brand they use.

Thank you Pekka! The forum stopped being Canon only a long time ago. Even the for sale section had other brands being sold as well. It has evolved well and this update will ensure the evolution continues.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

sponsored links

28,323 views & 77 likes for this thread
Sorry to say but
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.