Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2014 (Tuesday) 11:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New theme for forums

bmurf
302 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 02, 2014 11:38 |  #1

Definitely not a fan of the new software/theme of the forums.

Everything feels very plain and nothing is sectioned off well (like the old style). Feels like everything blends and mashes together.

Button layout and everything else just feels sloppy, unorganized and outdated to me.

What was the reasoning for switching?

» bmurfey.com (external link) // Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Jimmer411
Thank god Im green.
866 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 02, 2014 16:57 |  #2

I hate this new layout, way too confusing. Way too much wasted space on a 1080p screen and even worse on my 1440p screen.

5D3 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 430EX | YN-568EX II | YN-622c | YN-622-TX |
Selling Sigma 30mm 1.4

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,160 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Dec 02, 2014 17:01 |  #3

Try changing your fonts (link at bottom of every page), and then go to FYEO and play with the margin settings. Like any new forum registration or new forum period, you have to go in and tweak settings to your liking. See if those do anything for your viewing pleasure.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php​#settings (hint, the farther right you select, the less of a white margin you will have)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Ito
169 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 02, 2014 17:04 |  #4

100% agreed. I know people always hate on new things, but man I don't think I have ever seen a forum that is so bland looking but also difficult to navigate.

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 OS | Neewer TT850 Flash x4

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,160 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 02, 2014 17:06 |  #5

Ito wrote in post #17306161 (external link)
100% agreed. I know people always hate on new things, but man I don't think I have ever seen a forum that is so bland looking but also difficult to navigate.

What are you trying to navigate to? There is a forum index, a page to show you your own threads and subscribed threads (or just all new posts in general), you can filter out forums you don't want to see, and you can reorder those forums to fit your own priority. The basics seem to be there. The extra items are something you can grow into like the gear selector for what you own, rent, etc, and your own product reviews and your own photo gallery.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Ito
169 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 02, 2014 17:16 |  #6

"a page to show you your own threads and subscribed threads"

Not seeing that one at all which has been one of my big problems. And to be honest, I am not arguing that items don't exist, it is the organization.

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 OS | Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 OS | Neewer TT850 Flash x4

TheArchitect
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 02, 2014 19:21 |  #7

I knew this was happening and was still surprised when I logged on tonight. First impression is that I'm going to like it…eventually. I just need to get used to it. A ton of work has obviously gone into the new forum software.

My personal hope is that some different color backgrounds become available soon (unless I missed something already). I'm a fan of light to mid blue themes and this very white and gray theme isn't my thing.

Anyway, great work Pekka.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,756 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 02, 2014 19:24 |  #8

Ito wrote in post #17306198 (external link)
"a page to show you your own threads and subscribed threads"

Not seeing that one at all which has been one of my big problems. And to be honest, I am not arguing that items don't exist, it is the organization.

New & Followed

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/newposts​.php

I'm a bit puzzled why you did not see that. And even if you do not know what it is, it is a click away to check out.

Have your read what is in https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fyeo.php?

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

trandyd
31 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 02, 2014 19:53 |  #9

Thanks that helped.

70d/18-135

mltain
264 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 02, 2014 20:57 |  #10

This is almost as bad as the new KEH site. Not a fan of this at all.

XS |18-55mm is /75-300mm III / 55-250 IS and 50mm 1.8 Acer Iconia A500
Pentax K1000 SE (film) smc 50mm f2 Chinon CM5 (film) 50mm f 1.9

BDDigitalImages
557 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 04, 2014 10:30 |  #11

What in the world happened to this place? Do not like any of this at all! Everything was easy to find and read before and now...not a clue, even a new login area???. Send me a email when you fix all of this so that I can come back and be a forum member.

WWW.bddigitalimages.co​m (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,160 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 04, 2014 11:20 |  #12

Or you could take the initiative to learn how it all works and how to set things up yourself? I highly doubt anybody is going to email you to tell you to come back, that seems a bit over the top. Try not to be so rigid on change, everything changes eventually, it's a fact of life.

Start here: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17310910

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 04, 2014 11:50 |  #13

Wow! This is going to take a LOT of getting used to. Everything is hard to see and to find. I look on the page and just see a bunch of words. :-/

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,493 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 04, 2014 12:34 |  #14

professorman wrote in post #17311460 (external link)
Wow! This is going to take a LOT of getting used to. Everything is hard to see and to find. I look on the page and just see a bunch of words. :-/

That was my experience the first time I saw a BOOK. It also had pictures, though.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,024 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 04, 2014 13:23 |  #15

professorman wrote in post #17311460 (external link)

And you call yourself "professorman" ?! ;-)a  :p

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

14,063 views & 31 likes for this thread
New theme for forums
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.