Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2014 (Monday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New format.. makes me dizzy

this thread is locked
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,668 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Dec 04, 2014 20:27 |  #826

hyogen wrote in post #17312523 (external link)
sigh... hate this new format also. don't think ill ever get used to it.

Hate? Please explain what make you hate it. Thanks.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,757 posts
Gallery: 163 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 04, 2014 20:32 |  #827

Chet wrote in post #17312512 (external link)

Windows 8 -What do I win?

8 dows a leaping!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,751 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Dec 04, 2014 20:38 |  #828

NBEast wrote in post #17312498 (external link)
Every time I turn around, there's something more I have to search for "how to".

- replying; its changed majorly!
- Time stamp is info overload AND, well, what if displaying TIME on all old posts is a major problem for someone (who's been posting during work hours and the boss's kid is a photographer).
- I'm yet to find anything that makes it worth it. "Looks fresh" is a bit gimmicky. Change always has a cost. Just my opinion - I guess it'll settle in. It does get the job done - with some re-training.

The timestamps were on the old? I don't get that comment at all. There was an ENTIRE line dedicated to nothing but "when the post was made, and what reply # it was". The same is here but much smaller.

Yes, you only have two choices, learn to use and help make it a great community and forum resource, or not participate. Most people seemed to have forgotten that this site is about the people, resources, experiences, and sharing of ideas, but now due to change (gasp), they are making it about the presentation and change in use over the old site. You will get out of this what you put in.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Candor
Goldmember
4,707 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by Candor.

Dec 04, 2014 20:56 |  #829

The new format will take a little time for me to get used to and I'm sure I haven't scratched the surface of all the new features but I realize that will come in time. The most entertaining result so far for me has being witness to all the hissy fits thrown over the changes. I'm not sure about making someone dizzy but it sure has thrown a few into a tizzy.  :p. Don't sweat the small stuff is an adage that comes to mind.

Thanks for all the hard work Pekka et al.

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

Savethemoment
487 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 04, 2014 21:15 |  #830

It seems odd to me that some people are finding the change so hard. Having used computers daily for 20+ years, with about 90% of my current job performed on a computer screen, adjusting to software updates is routine and not a big deal.

It might take a bit of effort to figure some things out at first, but the new version is almost always much better - after a short time you really appreciate it and can't imagine going backwards. This applies to the software I use at home too, including Lightroom and PS Elements.

I love the new POTN. Perhaps those who are having such trouble adjusting to it don't have office jobs?? If they do then I wonder how they cope at work.

Always learning
Always looking for the good light

snerd
646 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 04, 2014 21:26 |  #831

It's mind-blowing, is what it is! I mean, it's just a discussion forum for gawd's sake!! You'd think some folks LIVES were over lol!! Fascinating.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 04, 2014 21:35 |  #832

There'

hyogen wrote in post #17312523 (external link)
sigh... hate this new format also. don't think ill ever get used to it.

There's always Nikonians. I'm sure they'd love to have you.

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 04, 2014 21:37 |  #833

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17312442 (external link)
The new format is crap.

All the reorganization of groups could have been done with the old software.

The font sucks on the main page as no one uses that type of font for any type of web page. It's just not meant to be read in huge quantities
The board space itself is too artsy and pretty much ugly. The old space is standard format for a reason.

It is stupid changes like this that make me want to never go back to a site that I have enjoyed for years. That alone should make the webmaster wonder WTF have I done.

If this is what "constructive criticism" has come to, we no longer have hope for humanity. It disgusts me to read comments like this. How absolutely rude. You don't have to like the format, but you also don't have to bash his hard work either. Instead of opening your mouth and sputtering out nonsense, maybe you should put together a list of the features you dislike so that Pekka can maybe take it into consideration. Immaturity at it's finest.

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 04, 2014 21:38 |  #834

snerd wrote in post #17312652 (external link)
It's mind-blowing, is what it is! I mean, it's just a discussion forum for gawd's sake!! You'd think some folks LIVES were over lol!! Fascinating.

Are you implying that there's life outside of POTN? Surely, you jest!

Iscariotau
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 04, 2014 21:48 |  #835

The attitude from some users in regards to the new software is disgusting really. At the end of the day this is a free website. If you dont like it and cant get used to it then look elsewhere. Otherwise be patient, take the time to learn, provide constructive, considered and polite feedback all the while appricating the amount of time and dedication it has taken to make this site what it is.

Rant over... :-D

For me, I have nothing to complain about and prefer the new version over the old format. For me it feels fresh and different.

MyFlickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,751 posts
Joined May 2002

Dec 04, 2014 22:00 |  #836

Iscariotau wrote in post #17312697 (external link)
The attitude from some users in regards to the new software is disgusting really. At the end of the day this is a free website. If you dont like it and cant get used to it then look elsewhere. Otherwise be patient, take the time to learn, provide constructive, considered and polite feedback all the while appricating the amount of time and dedication it has taken to make this site what it is.

Rant over... :-D

For me, I have nothing to complain about and prefer the new version over the old format. For me it feels fresh and different.

The beta team thanks you for your positive thoughts! :)

The forum has been live for less than a week, just imagine what this will look like after 1 month, 6 months, a year, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 04, 2014 22:15 |  #837

Pekka wrote in post #17309514 (external link)
What if you got to the next page with a swipe?

It would still be another page. The world is going tablet and different pages should be phased out for many Web items across many types of websites.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,751 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Dec 04, 2014 22:18 |  #838

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17312744 (external link)
It would still be another page. The world is going tablet and different pages should be phased out for many Web items across many types of websites.

No, the world is not going tablet... Tablet doesn't work in a corporate environment where there is heavy computer use. This according to vast experience, and Gartner. There will always be pages to go through as well, it is natural, like PDF pages, ebooks, etc. And all this from someone that has more tablets in his household than you, most likely (8 in total). ;)

What will happen is that either the post count will be upped for each page, or there might be a user preference added later to give you more posts per page, depending on Pekka's product vision. There is a thread he has created with his roadmap of changes.

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,598 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 04, 2014 22:34 |  #839

A lot of what I see, is like when I make dinner to kids...

"Waaaaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaah, I don't want it, I don't like it....waaaaah"

"but you haven't tried it, you haven't tasted it..... try a bite"

"waaaaaaah, I don't want to...."

and when they do....

"oooooh, more please, this is yummy"

This is the same with kids all over, they all react the same...

"waaah, I don't like change, I want the old forum back"

"waaaah, I don't like the font..."

"waaaah, I don't want to search"

it is like you buy a new phone, new apps etc., but you don't want to learn the new method, and once you're used to it within 1-2 weeks, you'll be happy with it.

SmugMug (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 04, 2014 22:41 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #840

See Pekka's post on the prior page. He has a cut-n-paste.

It only showed TIME for today's posts. For prior days, it simply said "x days ago".

Now; going back to the beginning of time, someone can go sniff out what time of day someone was posting.

I realize this amounts to getting caught in an implied lie, but it could (in a very rare but serious situation) have serious consequences. Like getting fired or repremanded or loosing ground in a divorce, etc.

The problem here is that it didn't *used* to do it.

It's more "Big Brother" ish.

It's caused me to go remove my Avatar to help preserve my anonymity.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

sponsored links

128,351 views & 461 likes for this thread
New format.. makes me dizzy
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.