Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Dec 2014 (Thursday) 02:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I use 40 year old Olympus 50 mm 1.4 with adapter on Canon EOS DLSR and should I?

warek
27 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 04, 2014 02:26 |  #1

Hi there

I have a 40 year old Olympus OM2N with a 50 mm 1.4 and a Tamron adaptall 2 70-210 F4 and wonder what I can do with them. I currently have a Canon 50D and planning to buy a Canon 6D in the near future. I do not have a 50 mm with my Canon but do have a Tamron non VC 28-75 F2.8 zoom and a Tamron Vc 70-300 zoom and wonder if the Olympus 50 mm can used with an adapter. Secondly if it could be used, I realise it would be only manual focus, what sort of picture quality might I get?

Or is it a waste of time and should I just buy a new used 50 mm prime?

What do people do with old cameras that no one wants any more?

Thanks for any suggestions?

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by Sirrith.

Dec 04, 2014 02:52 |  #2

You should be able to use it with the appropriate adaptor. If I remember correctly, OM mount lenses do not require glass in the adapter, so the IQ you'll get from the lens depends entirely on that lens itself i.e. if it was a good lens back then, it should still be pretty good now.

Whether it is a waste of time or not is up to you. You might enjoy using manual glass, you might hate it. I personally quite like it; one of my favourite lenses of all time is an old soviet era Jupiter-9 85mm f2.0. It isn't the absolute sharpest lens, it doesn't produce the very best colours, it is hard to focus properly because it is soft wide open, but the way it renders is just magical and I love the results I get with it. I don't use it all the time though, because it takes far more effort than today's AF lenses, and there is a high rate of missed focus.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,100 posts
Gallery: 1552 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 04, 2014 04:43 |  #3

Heya,

OM -> EF is inexpensive and doesn't use optics, so it's easy to adapt and cheap. If you like that 50 f1.4, by all means, do it. Certainly cheaper than buying a 50 F1.8 II just to have autofocus, or $300 just to have something a bit better (Sigma/Canon 50 F1.4).

I don't own a 50mm with autofocus. All of mine are old 30+ year manual focus lenses. Seem good enough to me. I'm fine with manual focus though.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 04, 2014 05:22 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

When I first moved to digital (2008?), I had lots of C/Y-mount glass. Well, I had three Yashica/Kyocera bodies, too. Anyway, for the cost of a $12 adapter, I could use all of my old lenses (c.1970s) on my new digital camera. That was $12 well-spent, in my opinion. Now you know you can, and yes you should. Look at it this way, learning manual focus on digital doesn't cost anything!

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

warek
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 04, 2014 05:52 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #5

Thanks for the quick replies, seems some adapters do not work very well, do you have any suggestions as to a quality adapter. Fotodiox adapter seems to one of the better ones without a chip or is this just marketing?

Have a good day

Kevin

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,100 posts
Gallery: 1552 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 04, 2014 06:07 |  #6

warek wrote in post #17310708 (external link)
Thanks for the quick replies, seems some adapters do not work very well, do you have any suggestions as to a quality adapter. Fotodiox adapter seems to one of the better ones without a chip or is this just marketing?

Have a good day

Kevin

I use tons of Fotodiox stuff. Great quality, inexpensive. I don't bother with chips. They do zero for you other than allow you to program EXIF. Oh, and sometimes, short your camera (I've had it happen; not crying wolf or the sky is falling, but be aware, cheap electronic contacts are not always a wise thing to attach).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Dec 04, 2014 19:18 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Agree about fotodiox chipless adapters. I need a physical way to hook the lens to my camera, I can focus it myself.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by melcat. (3 edits in all)

Dec 05, 2014 02:24 |  #8

warek wrote in post #17310551 (external link)
I have a 40 year old Olympus OM2N with a 50 mm 1.4 and a Tamron adaptall 2 70-210 F4 and wonder what I can do with them.

• If your 50mm has a serial number greater than 1.1 million, it's a "cult lens" and you could probably get a fair whack for it on eBay. I used to own one of these with my OM-4.
  • If your OM-2N is chrome, as most were, and in decent cosmetic condition, there may be a market for it locally if you have enough hipsters.

I do not have a 50 mm with my Canon ... and wonder if the Olympus 50 mm can used with an adapter. Secondly if it could be used, I realise it would be only manual focus, what sort of picture quality might I get?

Yes, you can use OM mount lenses on Canon with an adapter. I did just that, starting in 2008. I bought expensive adapters from Japan. I retired my last OM lens a couple of years ago. Several of the OMs are as good or better than Canon Ls.

But some OMs are not, and in particular early production ones did not have modern coatings. If your lens has a chrome ring around the front (it's a so-called "silvernose"), it lacks modern coatings. If it says F-ZUIKO or x-ZUIKO where x is a letter that isn't S, it lacks modern coatings. If it says "MC", meaning "multicoated", it's old but has modern coatings. Later on, they were all multicoated and the "MC" disappeared. The ones without modern coatings didn't handle flare well.

Or is it a waste of time and should I just buy a new used 50 mm prime?

Unfortunately every Canon 50mm offered has some weird flaw. I eventually caved in and got the f/1.2 as its flaws were ones I could live with, but I waited a long time and was still shooting with my OM 50mm f/1.8 until 3 years ago. Now Sigma offer a well-regarded "ART" 50mm f/1.4, so you might look at that.

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2014 04:27 |  #9

I use sometimes this old Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4 (silver nose) on 5D/5DII and for me it"s a very capable lens for portraits. Well built and smooth focus ring.

Not really usable at f/1.4, but I found the IQ to be enough good at f/2 and the bokeh is great. Be prepared to use live-view focus...

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

warek
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 29, 2015 06:33 as a reply to  @ titi_67207's post |  #10

Thank you to MalVeaux, GeoKras1989, Melcat, titi_67207, for the detailed and useful information replies.

warek

sponsored links

1,522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I use 40 year old Olympus 50 mm 1.4 with adapter on Canon EOS DLSR and should I?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.