Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 21:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for Canon 70D Review

Orangefinkelstein
30 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 16, 2014 19:59 |  #16

Wow, I've never heard of Neewer. How is it so inexpensive? Do they use slave labor and steal the raw materials? Seriously some of their stuff (lower tech) sounds like you can't lose

http://www.finkelstein​photo.com (external link)
70D | 17-40 f/4L | 50MM f/1.8 70-200mm f/2.8L | 600EX-RT | 430EX | (2) Vivitar 285HV | Paul C. Buff radio triggers | other stuff

sponsored links
firemanchip
62 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 16, 2014 20:06 |  #17

I had their grip on my T3i and it was great but the one I got for my 70D was a dud. I still want one so I`m considering a "Vello" from B@H. I kind of got used to having it and now my camera just doesn`t feel right without. The Vello is twice as much as the Neweers but still more than half the cost of Canon. Or do I give Neewers another chance?

Canon EOS 70D EOS 5D Mark IV | Tokina AT-X 116 AF Pro DX 11-16mm f/2.8 | Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] AF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Macro Zoom SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF 50mm f/1.8 STM EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 17, 2014 10:18 |  #18

Well I finally broke down and spent the $25 dollars to purchase this battery grip. Figured just like you did that at this cost it wasn't a huge loss if I didn't like or it doesn't work well. Mine arrives Thursday and I will be using it on Saturday to take some pictures during a dance recital - so will definitely have an opportunity to see it's pro's and con's at length! (Since for that show it will be paired with my 70D and a Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS)

I too am slightly fearful of the intimidating look it might give off - but most of the dance parents already know me as "the camera dad"... figure this is only going to up that ante lol... but hoping that the vertical control and weight balancing offset any negatives (and not having to worry about changing out batteries mid-recital seems on the face a cool option/idea.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 17, 2014 10:26 |  #19

Please share your thoughts after using it. I used it for a beach trip about six months ago and loved using it...when I used it. However, it has been in its box ever since. I find it's too heavy and I never (ever) shoot enough to run out of battery with this camera. Granted, I'm definitely not a pro and I also don't do much in the way of video. It's for these reasons that I'm glad I went with this one instead of saving up a couple hundred for the 'real' one.

Also, sorry for missing the two posts above when they came in. Not sure how that happened, apologies. Orange: I have no idea, other than to say 'made in China', so your guesses probably aren't that far off.

firemanchip, I'd probably give it another shot if your grip uses aren't mission critical. Doesn't hurt to return it and try once more. That ship may have sailed at this point though, four months later.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 17, 2014 12:34 |  #20

I use a Neewer on my T3 and have had zero issues for the last 2 years. As for the added bulk, I like it as I have big hands. Most people will notice a big lens before a grip.

werds
613 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 17, 2014 13:21 |  #21

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17277160 (external link)
Please share your thoughts after using it. I used it for a beach trip about six months ago and loved using it...when I used it. However, it has been in its box ever since. I find it's too heavy and I never (ever) shoot enough to run out of battery with this camera. Granted, I'm definitely not a pro and I also don't do much in the way of video. It's for these reasons that I'm glad I went with this one instead of saving up a couple hundred for the 'real' one.

Will definitely do - upfront my reasons for purchasing this instead of the Canon was...

• Price - I am not an event professional so the price has to be well justified. $25 is easier to justify for minimal use
  • Vertical Shooting - I hate the awkward positioning of the shutter and my arms when I do shots in portrait... hoping the grip makes it more comfortable
  • Battery life - I only have 3 or 4 events per year that I need the extra juice.

Will see how it stacks up to what I want it for :)

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #17277405 (external link)
I use a Neewer on my T3 and have had zero issues for the last 2 years. As for the added bulk, I like it as I have big hands. Most people will notice a big lens before a grip.

Yea, unfortunately for me I am not in the big hands group. I have hands that I can BARELY palm a basketball and that is for a limited duration... I prefer my phones under 4.7" inches screen size because of the size of my hands... so hoping that doesn't cause issue!

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 21, 2014 10:46 |  #22

Does anyone have a link to this grip on eBay? The link in the OP is dead.

Joel

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 21, 2014 11:40 |  #23

This appears to be the right one (external link).

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 21, 2014 12:09 |  #24

That's too bad, I'm north of the border so they won't ship outside the US.

Closest match I found was double that price.

Thanks though!

Joel

werds
613 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Nov 24, 2014 11:47 |  #25

Ok my thoughts - they might ramble...

I purchased this specific grip because it's price point. It was an attractive accessory wherein if it didn't work well, or if I wasnt comfortable with it a loss of $25 wasn't going to be a big issue.

Because it was so cheap it also made the fact that I originally thought I wasn't going to use it too much a bearable idea. I thought I would only end up pulling it out for those times I knew I would be doing extended shooting (dance recitals and events that my daughter's are involved in.) The extra battery life was a bonus added to making portrait orientation more comfortable.

In use thoughts: I used this for a dance recital my daughter was in this weekend and I took roughly 1400 shots of setup, morning rehearsals, pre-recital, backstage during the recital, and of every dance over a 2 hour event.

1. At first the portrait orientation felt awkward - mostly because my hand position was higher than my eye level, at least higher than it is in landscape orientation. Also having spent the majority of my time training myself to take pictures using my left eye to the OVF, when in portrait it felt awkward unless I used my right eye...

2. After a while portrait orientation felt less awkward - but even when it felt awkward it was MUCH more comfortable and inviting to take portrait mode shots with the grip than sans grip. I also noticed in post processing that my portrait shots were almost always in perfect vertical alignment, something that when I wasn't using the grip wasn't always the case. But the coolest part was I found myself WANTING to flip the camera to take Portrait orientations much more than I normally would due to how simple and comfortable it made the shooting.

3. Not having to worry about battery was a nice minor bonus but the main thing I noticed was how BALANCED the camera felt. It didn't feel as if it weighed much more if at all. But in my hands it felt more substantial. I am not a person with large hands, so I thought this might be daunting... I actually ended up LOVING the more substantial grip and dimensions - if you have small hands though you might not. The grip also made the fact that I had a Spider holster plate attached less awkward, the positioning of the plate and it's knob was more out of the way. But the dimensions felt more balance while I was shooting whether I had my 17-55 2.8 or my Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS on.

4. Battery drain - I know that some of these grips have phantom battery drain. Mine did not, unless you count 1% battery loss in 3 days while sitting in sleep mode as battery drain. It only on one occasion claimed it couldnt read one of my batteries but a quick reseat fixed that.

5. Fit and Finish - it feels nice and comfortable although you can tell the plastic and rubber grip are not the same as the Canon body. But they still feel good and well done. It fits well into the battery compartment and does not jiggle around once locked down.

6. Controls - The trigger definitely has a shorter throw than the 70D body trigger(shutter button). This is only a slight issue as it doesn't really effect more than comfort and only barely. As someone with not large hands the biggest issue I had was how far away the Directional Wheel was when in held in Portrait Orientation. My thumb struggled to reach it in order to move the AF points around (granted in Landscape orientation it is in an awkward location as well but I could easily reach it). What I ended up having to do was to hit the AF switch button behind the shutter button while in Portrait orientation and then rotate the outer wheels of the Directional Wheel to move AF points left and right, while using the wheel next to the shutter button to move AF points up and down... adding several steps to when I wanted to move and reposition AF points in Portrait mode... a rather awkward dance imo. But mostly due to my not having large hands.

Overall I am happy with it and find myself preferring to use the camera WITH grip attached.

As a side note many of the other dance parents noticed the ensuing increase in size when I had the grip on - as I received several comments about my new toy. But they are all used to seeing me with camera and flash in tow to events and classes regularly.

Nieman
113 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 25, 2014 14:43 |  #26

I have had the NEEWER grip for a couple months. I have not seen any battery drain when off. I have large hands so the 70D feels much better in my hand. The weight blaaa it is nothing.

I have yet to take it off I see no need.

Nathan Nieman
Canon 70d, Kaavie grip, 18-55 IS STM lens, 55-250 mm Lens, 50mm f1.4

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 25, 2014 14:53 |  #27

Thanks for the detailed review werds and the comment Nieman. Glad you guys like them. For $25 you seriously can't go wrong with this thing. :)

werds
613 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 05, 2014 09:50 |  #28

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17292724 (external link)
Thanks for the detailed review werds and the comment Nieman. Glad you guys like them. For $25 you seriously can't go wrong with this thing. :)

Thanks! Yea I am glad you did the initial review or I may have waited on the day I was in the mood to pay for the Canon brand version... in the end I am currently fairly happy. So much so that I have not removed the grip at all since the recital night on the 22nd of November (actually it hasn't been removed since the 20th when I initially installed it but I didn't put through it's paces till then). Since then we did Thanksgiving with our families and a few other minor things and I find the camera more comfortable to use with the grip :)

The next part will be deciding if I actually want to use it while at Disney this summer... one negative side effect I see from the grip is the wife doesn't want to touch the camera if I ask her to take a picture with it now lol

sponsored links

19,611 views & 1 like for this thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for Canon 70D Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.